Buddleias flowering, but no butterflies.

For anyone interested in gardening & a bit of light relief from the problems of this world

Buddleias flowering, but no butterflies.

Postby appledore » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:10 pm

Image

Our buddleias are flowering, but we have no butterflies. We had some in the garden earlier in the year, but I think they must have got washed away with all the heavy rain. :) Has anyone else noticed a lack of butterflies?
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore
 
Posts: 2878
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:50 pm

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.
 

Re: Buddleias flowering, but no butterflies.

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:55 pm

Oh your garden looks nice! :) We haven't seen anywhere near as many butterflies this year, it must be all the rain. We haven't seen as many moths either, its a shame.

Although on the plus side, no wasps yet. Usually we get them too early in the year and they drive you mad when bbqing. I bought a zapper ready for them this year, but have only used it on hubby's toosh...he was not happy! :lol:
User avatar
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG
 
Posts: 6211
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:16 pm
Location: Home Sweet Home

Re: Buddleias flowering, but no butterflies.

Postby appledore » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:21 pm

Hi Will. We have lots of little moths in the house, but not many in the garden. Have you tried a fly zapper that looks like a tennis racket, you put batteries in and it electrocutes flies and insects? I wouldn't advise using it on hubby's toosh as
he'd be singed. :lol:
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore
 
Posts: 2878
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:50 pm

Re: Buddleias flowering, but no butterflies.

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:01 pm

We get small moths in the house, but I haven't seen the lovely variety of larger moths this year. I'm thinking about getting one of those insect attractors. It is a light box which has a small solar panel on the top, and the flying lovelies get in and dance round the light. Kind of like a moth rave. :lol:
User avatar
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG
 
Posts: 6211
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:16 pm
Location: Home Sweet Home

Re: Buddleias flowering, but no butterflies.

Postby appledore » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:40 pm

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:We get small moths in the house, but I haven't seen the lovely variety of larger moths this year. I'm thinking about getting one of those insect attractors. It is a light box which has a small solar panel on the top, and the flying lovelies get in and dance round the light. Kind of like a moth rave. :lol:


It might be full of spiders doing the rumba. :lol:
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore
 
Posts: 2878
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:50 pm

Re: Buddleias flowering, but no butterflies.

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:20 pm

appledore wrote:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:We get small moths in the house, but I haven't seen the lovely variety of larger moths this year. I'm thinking about getting one of those insect attractors. It is a light box which has a small solar panel on the top, and the flying lovelies get in and dance round the light. Kind of like a moth rave. :lol:


It might be full of spiders doing the rumba. :lol:




EEEEK! I don't want to watch that. :lol:

Today we went to feed swans and have a little wrestle with them. Instead, and hubs is still laughing about it...I fed pigeons and they were on my arm...it was like Trafalgar Square.

When one had a dump on my arm, I shouted “oh no, it pooped on me!” I actually said poop! That has come from this forum and not being able to type the word po o. :mrgreen:
User avatar
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG
 
Posts: 6211
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:16 pm
Location: Home Sweet Home

Re: Buddleias flowering, but no butterflies.

Postby appledore » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:28 pm

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:When one had a dump on my arm, I shouted “oh no, it pooped on me!” I actually said poop! That has come from this forum and not being able to type the word po o. :mrgreen:


Just think of the good it's doing being on this forum. :mrgreen:

There was a spider in my ironing basket this afternoon. Eeeek!!!!!
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore
 
Posts: 2878
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:50 pm

Re: Buddleias flowering, but no butterflies.

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:34 pm

appledore wrote:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:When one had a dump on my arm, I shouted “oh no, it pooped on me!” I actually said poop! That has come from this forum and not being able to type the word po o. :mrgreen:


Just think of the good it's doing being on this forum. :mrgreen:

There was a spider in my ironing basket this afternoon. Eeeek!!!!!


Oh the goodness, I know! :lol:

Now did the spider do your ironing for you? If not, give it a squash for being lazy. :oops:
User avatar
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG
 
Posts: 6211
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:16 pm
Location: Home Sweet Home

Re: Buddleias flowering, but no butterflies.

Postby appledore » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:41 pm

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:Now did the spider do your ironing for you? If not, give it a squash for being lazy. :oops:


If a spider had an iron fastened to every leg it would get the ironing done quickly. :lol:

One of our Acers is turning green. I've fed it and hope it turns red again.
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore
 
Posts: 2878
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:50 pm

Re: Buddleias flowering, but no butterflies.

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:24 pm

appledore wrote:One of our Acers is turning green. I've fed it and hope it turns red again.


Hi apples. Our red robins were turning green too quickly, a nice chap at the garden centre advised me not to feed too much. I feed every fortnight, but he said some plants need a little stress to bring out their best colour. I don't know if he is talking rubbish, but I tried stressing the red robins by running towards them really fast, popping balloons, threatening actual leaf harm, waving garden sheers, growling...I shouted BOO! Really loudly.......they are still green! :lol: :mrgreen:
User avatar
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG
 
Posts: 6211
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:16 pm
Location: Home Sweet Home

Re: Buddleias flowering, but no butterflies.

Postby appledore » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:42 pm

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:
appledore wrote:One of our Acers is turning green. I've fed it and hope it turns red again.


Hi apples. Our red robins were turning green too quickly, a nice chap at the garden centre advised me not to feed too much. I feed every fortnight, but he said some plants need a little stress to bring out their best colour. I don't know if he is talking rubbish, but I tried stressing the red robins by running towards them really fast, popping balloons, threatening actual leaf harm, waving garden sheers, growling...I shouted BOO! Really loudly.......they are still green! :lol: :mrgreen:


Hi Will. I'll move the acer from the back garden to the front garden and then it'll be able to see him nextdoor. That's enough to stress anyone. :lol: Our acers usually thrive on neglect, they rarely get fed. I'll have to give it a good talking to. :)
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore
 
Posts: 2878
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:50 pm

Re: Buddleias flowering, but no butterflies.

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:08 pm

appledore wrote: Hi Will. I'll move the acer from the back garden to the front garden and then it'll be able to see him nextdoor. That's enough to stress anyone. :lol: Our acers usually thrive on neglect, they rarely get fed. I'll have to give it a good talking to. :)


Teeheeeee I would do the same, but it would die of shock, never mind being stressed! :lol:

You could add food colouring to the water when watering those pots. :mrgreen:
User avatar
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG
 
Posts: 6211
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:16 pm
Location: Home Sweet Home

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.
 

Return to Gardening

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest