Multiple High Hedge Complaints

Re: Multiple High Hedge Complaints

Postby jdfi » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:12 am

arsie wrote:Well it's only our opinions but I disagree. The OP is suddenly a monster because a developer wants to build too close - and on a green field site at that? Trees become 'too high' because a money grubbing developer flies by? I would be boiling over.

Best the OP fights a rear guard action and offers to reduce the height if asked.


Noone has a right to countryside or views.... I'm sure they'll sell him the field if he wishes to preserve his view.
jdfi
 
Posts: 444
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:39 pm

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.
 

Re: Multiple High Hedge Complaints

Postby arsie » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:51 am

True.

But the tall trees obstructed the OP's view in any case - his issue is privacy.

Building over green fields (agricultural land) is a very serious threat. Developers prefer it though as it is more profitable. It has knock on impact on drainage, traffic, schools, GP surgeries not to mention the huge squeeze on our dwindling countryside and open spaces.

As our government has to let in millions of migrants without control they need to house them (and those of us already here). The effect of the NPPF is to open the door to development on green field sites on the edge of thousands of villages and small towns in our country.

This thread is just one of hundreds of thousands of similar occurrences, I have no doubt.
arsie
 
Posts: 1955
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:13 am
Location: Norfolk

Re: Multiple High Hedge Complaints

Postby MacadamB53 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:09 pm

Hi arsie,

Building over green fields (agricultural land) is a very serious threat.

true, but is this at all relevant to this case?

all we know is there is a patch of land of unknown dimensions beside the OP's property which he described as:

"parcel of land adjacent to my northern boundary is agricultural without a dwelling".

this could just as easily be a vacant piece of land within an urban environment - eg an old allotment site.

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53
 
Posts: 6028
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:13 am

Re: Multiple High Hedge Complaints

Postby arsie » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:17 pm

Good point Mac the OP never said it was a field. Perhaps he/she will explain.
arsie
 
Posts: 1955
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:13 am
Location: Norfolk

Re: Multiple High Hedge Complaints

Postby VelvetGreen » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:22 pm

I think this topic has run its course, yet I feel obliged to clear a few things up...

I am unwilling to give away too many specifics on a public forum and therefore you will not know all the facts. Frustratingly for me, this means Mac, mr sheen and jdfi will not know the extent of your misjudgement. I have the feeling that you think I live in a built up area, that is not the case. The parcel of land behind my property is the first field of several that run over 1 mile before reaching the next settlement.

I have been seeking advice due to a proposed development, the approval of which will likely result in me incurring costs (unless an agreement can be made with the developer). The same council members can approve a development very close to tall tress and also rule that the trees infringe on the new home owners reasonable enjoyment of their properties, in this situation I the owner of the trees would incur the costs.

Of course I want to retain some level of privacy. If these trees were not on the property when I bought it and this planning application was submitted, I would be looking at options to screen it. In that situation the ball is in my court.

I have received some good, calculated advice, which I have taken on board.
Thank you
VG
VelvetGreen
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:52 am

Re: Multiple High Hedge Complaints

Postby MacadamB53 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:27 pm

Hi VG,

Frustratingly for me, this means Mac, mr sheen and jdfi will not know the extent of your misjudgement. I have the feeling that you think I live in a built up area

nope - and that wouldn't make a difference.

I know you have a row of 40ft trees that are about 1m apart (unless you've been lying :) )
I think this will look awful (if I paid you a visit, not if I owned the land beyond) - imagine if it were to be replaced by a 40ft wall...

All the best, Mac
MacadamB53
 
Posts: 6028
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:13 am

Re: Multiple High Hedge Complaints

Postby jdfi » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:17 am

VelvetGreen wrote:I think this topic has run its course, yet I feel obliged to clear a few things up...

I am unwilling to give away too many specifics on a public forum and therefore you will not know all the facts. Frustratingly for me, this means Mac, mr sheen and jdfi will not know the extent of your misjudgement.
VG


Noone intends to misjudge you, however it is probably a foregone conclusion that houses will be built next to you, and their future owners will be campaigning to get your hedge reduced in height.
jdfi
 
Posts: 444
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:39 pm

Re: Multiple High Hedge Complaints

Postby ukmicky » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:37 pm

VelvetGreen wrote:
arsie wrote:Now that the planning application is lodged

It's a short waiting game. Only the Notice is available at this moment. Plans and application details will hopefully be available by the end of the week.

Is there any particular reason you think they might?

A surveyor that is known to us and was contract by the developer for some work, mentioned that the developer "wanted to have a chat to us"[about our trees] and "It's illegal for them to be over 6ft now". Clearly the developer doesn't understand the High Hedges act, but there seems to be intent to have them reduced.



The developer will know 100 per cent how the high hedges legislation works but they hope you don't and therefore will try and bullshit you with misinformation.

As the high hedge legislation does not cover this land until these properties are built, if you agree to them being reduced the cost of reducing the height of the trees should therefore be meet by the developer .

Do not however allow the developer to perform the work or you will find the trees being reduced lower than you wished. If you agree think carefully how much you are willing to let them be reduced because they may not look to pleasant if you go to low and hire a proper tree surgeon to perform the work. You need it in writing that the developer agrees to meet the full cost of the work.

You could also be proactive and thin them out before the development so they have space between each tree and no longer form a hedge preventing any future High hedge complaints.
Last edited by ukmicky on Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Advice given is not legally qualified and you are advised to gain a professional opinion
ukmicky
 
Posts: 4544
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:13 pm
Location: London

Re: Multiple High Hedge Complaints

Postby ukmicky » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:41 pm

MacadamB53 wrote:Hi VG,

whichever they are, at 40ft tall and just 1m apart all I can think is "wow, that must look AWFUL". (sorry)

I'm afraid I cannot fathom why you've begun this thread as it is beyond me why you're not asking how to get the trees sorted rather than asking how to make sure things stay as is.

I'm out.

All the best, Mac


In the right setting they may look perfectly fine. This may be the right setting.
Advice given is not legally qualified and you are advised to gain a professional opinion
ukmicky
 
Posts: 4544
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:13 pm
Location: London

Re: Multiple High Hedge Complaints

Postby arsie » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:44 pm

Just so. It wasn't the wrong setting until the developer came along and wants to build houses too close. Farmers here plant lines of poplars as wind breaks (and wood banks) at field boundaries and nobody raises an eyebrow.
arsie
 
Posts: 1955
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:13 am
Location: Norfolk

Re: Multiple High Hedge Complaints

Postby MacadamB53 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:16 am

Hi arsie,

Farmers here plant lines of poplars as wind breaks (and wood banks) at field boundaries and nobody raises an eyebrow.

let's not compare apples with pears - the OP owns a row of 40ft trees 1 metre apart.

both ukmicky and your good self seem to think that might look good in some circumstances?!?

(nobody is arguing all rows of 40ft trees look awful or that the OP is not entitled to privacy)

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53
 
Posts: 6028
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:13 am

Re: Multiple High Hedge Complaints

Postby arsie » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:52 am

As the OP considered his thread at an end I wasn't going to comment further except I did agree with ukmicky. But now I must correct yet another instance of you MacadamB53 part-quoting and so distorting what I said :roll:

What I said was in agreeing was purely about the setting:
arsie wrote:Just so. It wasn't the wrong setting until the developer came along and wants to build houses too close. Farmers here plant lines of poplars as wind breaks (and wood banks) at field boundaries and nobody raises an eyebrow.

I don't recall ever commenting on the trees' appearance - except to answer a pointless question by someone about the species of the trees - or saying the OP's trees might look good, whatever you 'seem to think' MacadamB53. Don't go spinning your words into others mouths mister.
arsie
 
Posts: 1955
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:13 am
Location: Norfolk

Re: Multiple High Hedge Complaints

Postby MacadamB53 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:58 pm

Hi arsie,

not again (ho hum...)

me: whichever they are, at 40ft tall and just 1m apart all I can think is "wow, that must look AWFUL".

ukmicky (after quoting me): In the right setting they may look perfectly fine. This may be the right setting.

you (in response to ukmicky): Just so. It wasn't the wrong setting until the developer came along and wants to build houses too close.

followed by this: Farmers here plant lines of poplars as wind breaks (and wood banks) at field boundaries and nobody raises an eyebrow.

how can one conclude anything other than ukmicky thinks a row of 40ft trees spaced just 1m apart may look perfectly fine in certain settings, and that you agree.

(and that what farmers get up to with their lines of poplars is not relevant to the argument being made.)

Befuddled regards, Mac
MacadamB53
 
Posts: 6028
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:13 am

Re: Multiple High Hedge Complaints

Postby arsie » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:45 pm

A row of trees may be fine in the right setting or at least no one will be bothered by them. I gave a relevant example. The appearance of a row of trees is not automatically 'awful' just because they are 40 foot high and close together: in fact the example I gave is often much higher than that, although poplar is of course deciduous and does not come under 'high hedges' legislation.

In this instance the conifers' rural setting is to be changed by the development of houses, so the trees will potentially fall foul of this legislation. These conifers were fine until this change of use of the next field, on the edge of a rural settlement, came along. I do not agree with the opinion that their appearance is automatically 'awful': but the setting is crucial and this is changing.

As an urban warrior you get on the high horse of appearance, Mac. Mine is a rural perspective. I would appreciate it if you didn't try to abuse my words to include me in your befuddled thinking Mac (your words not mine!) :mrgreen:
arsie
 
Posts: 1955
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:13 am
Location: Norfolk

Re: Multiple High Hedge Complaints

Postby MacadamB53 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:09 pm

Hi arsie,

my only beef is that they stand 1m apart - because this will look awful if they're 40ft tall.

find me a guide to trees that suggests this is a good idea - because most I've looked at suggest planting at this spacing is for a hedge and to remove some as the height increases - and I'll eat my hat.

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53
 
Posts: 6028
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:13 am

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.
 
PreviousNext

Return to Hedges

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest