neighbours

neighbours

Postby lisalisa69 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:25 pm

Hi everyone,

My neighbour is a police office, we have never really getting on to be honest. His girlfriend is also not nice. At the front of our homes we have a little space of grass etc, which I put decking down. I did have planters near the little fence that separates each garden. But were broken so I moved them. Next door put some conifers which have grown very fast, The branches have been sticking over to my side, which I was letting it grow until I did something about it. Last week when I was out or in my house next door went onto my decking and cut his trees. Fair enough it looks nice and tidy now. But they did not let me know he was going onto my decking, not even I note through the door, he has done it and walked away. plus if they waited until I was out, which they do often its a bit scary. I've had trouble with these neighbours for a long time now. Just wondering please if there is anything I can do. Or is there any rules about going onto someone else's property with out there consent .

thanks lisa .
lisalisa69

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: neighbours

Postby span » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:24 pm

lisalisa69 wrote:Hi everyone,

My neighbour is a police office, we have never really getting on to be honest. His girlfriend is also not nice. At the front of our homes we have a little space of grass etc, which I put decking down. I did have planters near the little fence that separates each garden. But were broken so I moved them. Next door put some conifers which have grown very fast, The branches have been sticking over to my side, which I was letting it grow until I did something about it. Last week when I was out or in my house next door went onto my decking and cut his trees. Fair enough it looks nice and tidy now. But they did not let me know he was going onto my decking, not even I note through the door, he has done it and walked away. plus if they waited until I was out, which they do often its a bit scary. I've had trouble with these neighbours for a long time now. Just wondering please if there is anything I can do. Or is there any rules about going onto someone else's property with out there consent .

thanks lisa .

I get the feeling there's a lot more to this story than you're saying so far Lisa, because what you've described is pretty small peanuts to some of the problems posters on here have with their neighbours. If all you've got to worry about is him popping around unannounced to do a bit of a tidy-up on his conifers, which you think in itself is a good thing apart from the unannounced bit.... you should either let that go, or tell us the full story.
span

Postby span » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:26 pm

Oh yeah, I forgot to add - are you going to turn out like this one? viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20082
span

Postby cleo5 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:20 pm

Hi,
It is common courtesy to ask if you may trim your neighbour's side of your hedge so your neighbour was at fault in not doing so.
You can avoid the problem in future by keeping your side trimmed so that he has no excuse to trespass.
Try to disregard it . Policeman can be nasty neighbours just as anyone else can.
Also he may have done it to save you the bother. Does he clear away the trimmings?
If he does it again have a word with him about it and clear the air.
cleo5

Postby despair » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:23 pm

Many people would be delighted if their conifer growing neighbour kept both sides cut back and maintained especially if they clear away the trimmings

yes i
your neighbour should be courteous and ask if its ok but as others have said its not worth the stress of creating problems over it
despair

Postby mr sheen » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:00 am

Would you prefer that he leaves them to grow?..they have already grown quickly and that just gets worse and it can be very costly to get them sorted later. They grow very quickly and cause shade and damp over large areas and then you will have to control them and cover the costs or leave them to take over your garden.
If you confront him about it he will probably not cut them back again and leave you to do it...so I would let sleeping dogs lie and be thankful the neighbour is responsible enough to keep his fast growing conifers under control.
mr sheen

Postby COGGY » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:00 pm

I agree with Despair and Mr. Sheen. Most people would be grateful to have the hedge cut for them.
Coggy
COGGY

Postby MacadamB53 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:36 pm

Hi lisa,

I think your more concerned that the neighbour may have acted out of some misplaced sense of entitlement rather than that he tidied up the trees?

why not thank him for being so considerate - maybe complemented with a bottle of wine - say it was a nice surprise, and ask him when he did it.

you might find be knocked on your door first but, after no reply, made an 'in the moment' decision to get the job done there and then - knowing that you'd probably have said 'yes' had you been there...

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby jonahinoz » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:31 pm

Hi,

Rule of thumb ... It's probably best not to upset police officers, particularly if you have a car.

jonahinoz

Postby Clifford Pope » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:06 pm

jonahinoz wrote:Hi,

Rule of thumb ... It's probably best not to upset police officers, particularly if you have a car.

"we have never really getting on to be honest."

It sometimes pays to be honest ! :)
Clifford Pope

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Trees