Willow Tree Height

Willow Tree Height

Postby blackscarrab » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:37 pm

Hi, The neighbour to the rear of my property has a willow tree which is now so high it blocks the sun more than half way up my Garden, which is now causing the ground to dry out and crack. The property is rented and looked after by an agency. My question is:

Who do I need to talk to, to see about getting the tree taken down by a few feet, I like the tree but would just like to get it reduced a little. Is it the person renting the property or through the agency to the owner? I presume it is the owner?
blackscarrab

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Willow Tree Height

Postby despair » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:15 pm

You can try contacting the owner but they are not required to take action

If the tree overhangs your garden you can ask a tree surgeon to remove all branches strictly back to the boundary
despair

Postby arborlad » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:35 pm

blackscarrab wrote:Who do I need to talk to, to see about getting the tree taken down by a few feet, I like the tree but would just like to get it reduced a little. Is it the person renting the property or through the agency to the owner? I presume it is the owner?

Ultimately, yes, it is they who own the tree.

In the first instance though, I would chat to the neighbour, it could be that the tree is having an adverse effect on them and you could work together to your mutual benefit. As you are wanting works done that are outwith your boundary, it's not going to happen without some cooperation.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby Morgan Sweet » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:45 am

blackscarrab wrote:Hi, The neighbour to the rear of my property has a willow tree which is now so high it blocks the sun more than half way up my Garden, which is now causing the ground to dry out and crack.

Being a willow tree it may be more likely that the spreading roots are causing the ground to dry out and crack, willows draw up considerable amounts of water from the ground.
Morgan Sweet

Postby cleo5 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:17 pm

They should never be planted close to a building because the roots can undermine foundations.
Weeping willows with a height of 18ft have a root spread of 20feet. Crack Willow of 18ft height has root spread of 14ft and white willow(salix Alba ) with height of18ft has a spread of 20ft.
You have a right to cut back the roots to your boundary.
cleo5

Postby APC » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:24 pm

cleo5 wrote:They should never be planted close to a building because the roots can undermine foundations.
Weeping willows with a height of 18ft have a root spread of 20feet. Crack Willow of 18ft height has root spread of 14ft and white willow(salix Alba ) with height of18ft has a spread of 20ft.

Please show your workings.
APC

Postby cleo5 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:42 pm

I got it from this site
http://www.leeds.gov.uk/docs/guideline% ... %20version).pdf
you will need to scroll right down until you come to the lists.

My daughter bought a house last year with a willow tree in front garden next to porch and I was a bit concerned about it so checked various sites and tree books.
I have two willows quite close to the house here and was advised to chop them down by by two different tree surgeons some years back. Both told me then that their roots can be a danger to buildings. I keep mine well pruned.
Funny that the ones I planted down by the stream all died!
http
://www.leeds.gov.uk/docs/guideline%20distances%20from%20development%20to%20trees%20march%202011%20(web%20version).pdf
(cand P'd again as it seems link didn't work?
cleo5

Postby arborlad » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:37 pm

cleo5 wrote:They should never be planted close to a building because the roots can undermine foundations.
You have a right to cut back the roots to your boundary.

There were several insurance type websites that had lists of trees and planting distances from buildings, they were mostly debunked as based on flawed data.
arborlad

arborlad

Postby cleo5 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:32 pm

Thanks Mac,
That's the one. Why did it not work for me?

BBC also had a forum about willow trees with an arborist gave answers. Some Salix species are ok and others not.
cleo5

Postby Ecklike » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:00 am

Arising from the general discussion on trees and concern about the damage risk some can pose is the point that you should always check your home insurance wording to see if it has anything to say about your obligations re: not having any trees within a set distance.

I was once surprised to see that my home insurance expected there to be no trees at all within a whopping 50m of the property. I changed insurer and haven't seen that clause anywhere since.

It's all the more important to check wording when you buy from a comparison web site, because quite often, you are trading good cover, or more reasonable terms, for a low price.
Ecklike

Postby arborlad » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:44 pm

Best to stick to one thread.

blackscarrab wrote:Hi

My neighbour to the rear of my property has an extremely high willow tree in his garden which is now starting block the light in my garden as well as causing the soil to dry out and crack. I have had several occasions were the wind has caused several branches to fall into my garden, whereby I am now afraid to let my grand daughter play in the garden when the wind picks up. I have found out that the property is rented from the council.

Question: Who is responsible for the tree, the long term resident or the Council? And is there a maximum height that the tree is allowed to grow before it is trimmed?
I read somewhere that the roots of the tree can be as long as the width oF the canopy, if this is the case, the roots could be well under the house of my elderly neighbour and a few metres from mine.

Any ideas?

Regards Tony
arborlad

arborlad

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Trees