Neighbour cutting our hedges roots.

Neighbour cutting our hedges roots.

Postby celiafate » Tue May 24, 2016 12:31 pm

Hi, I have searched and found lots of threads about roots and neighbours but couldn't find a definitive answer to my particular question.

Nextdoor are apparently building a 6' high brick wall on all three sides of their garden this wall is right up against the boundary line and we have already had words with their builders who took down OUR fence (fully inside our side of the boundary) and who have dug the footings into our garden we had no notice whatsoever that this wall was going to be built and I am now playing catch up with finding out what our rights are. I've done a lot of reading here and gather that we should have been given formal written notice, but that provided the wall is up to the boundary but not on it then we can't really object and that they are allowed to put the footings under our side but not the foundations (though not sure how that actually works in practice.)

The builders have also completely dug up and removed one of our 6' concrete fence posts which was the final anchor point for our rear fence line - that post is currently in the neighbours skip!

We also have a row of mature leylandii between us fully inside our garden which have been there for 25 years (were planted by my father with the consent of the previous owner nextdoor) they have cut these back to the boundary line which I gather they are allowed to do, however, today a man has appeared with a chainsaw, the neighbours at the rear of nextdoor also have a hedge between them and this neighbour and I have watched this morning as the builders have cut through the roots of this hedge inside the trench they have dug which like the one on our side is also over the rear neighbours boundary line. My guess is our leylandii will be next!

I gather that they are allowed to remove any roots that are over the boundary line - however if they do that they will possibly destabilise our leylandii (rear neighbours hedge is already leaning into their garden) I am also worried that the leylandii will not survive being hacked about and roots cut - is there anything I can do about this before its too late? No point in suggesting a nice cup af tea and sit down with these people - we've already had 8 months of problems with them when they had other builders in renovating the property causing damage to our cars and property and we are not on speaking terms.
celiafate

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Neighbour cutting our hedges roots.

Postby MacadamB53 » Tue May 24, 2016 1:11 pm

Hi,

is there anything I can do about this before its too late?

relocate the trees.

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby mr sheen » Tue May 24, 2016 6:07 pm

You are correct that they have the right to cut back anything right up to the edge of their boundary since they do not have to tolerate encroachment of roots onto their land.
mr sheen

Postby jonahinoz » Sat May 28, 2016 9:12 am

Hi,

It sounds like they are doing you a favour by building such a high wall. :D

John W
jonahinoz

Postby COGGY » Sat May 28, 2016 10:32 am

Jonahinoz said
It sounds like they are doing you a favour by building such a high wall. :D

This is very true. Possibly this would be a good time to consider cutting down the hedge, which would negate the need to trim the hedge and give you more space in the garden. Sometimes it is good to look at all options.

Regards Coggy
COGGY

Postby Eliza » Sat May 28, 2016 11:54 am

Agreed with the other posters - ie they have the legal right to remove any of your property that is on their land (ie those tree roots).

It may well be that the trees won't survive this - but that isnt any concern of these neighbours.

A neighbour has planted a leylandii in their garden. Different circumstances - as I was here first before the tree was. I will certainly be trimming any of the tree that I can get at that comes over my boundary and that includes the roots. It will be being done purely and simply in order to protect my property from the tree as far as I can.

I expect your neighbours are just doing the same - ie protecting their property - and not doing it deliberately "to be awkward".
Apologies for not giving exact personal details in my posts - you never know who is reading....
Eliza

Return to Hedges