Leylandii Trees

Leylandii Trees

Postby scratstrees » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:10 pm

Sorry in advance if this question before in this forum (I’m new here). I am having a slight problem with my current Landlord after a brief talk with her in the garden whilst visiting to fix a serious electrical fault.

The question I have is this, I have some huge tall 20M ish Leylandii Trees at the bottom of the garden. She quoted that I need to get these trimmed as they are becoming unsafe. I mentioned that I don’t believe I’m responsible for this and she remarked back the statement “returning the garden in the same state that it was in when I moved in”

I am fully aware of this statement and its meaning and that the meaning being “I return it in a clean and tidy state, mowed lawns, trimmed bushes, and anything I plant must be removed if she requests”

She seems to think otherwise, I checked my tenancy agreement when she left and quoted what I thought it would “To keep in a clean and tidy manner the garden of the property and to keep the property free from rubbish or offensive matter”

There is no clause in the tenancy agreement to which I have to trim Leylandii Trees or call in skilled professionals to do the job which obviously this would require. I would like to hear you kind people’s input on the matter.
scratstrees

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Leylandii Trees

Postby MacadamB53 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:18 pm

Hi scratstrees,

from the info you've provided I can't imagine you'd be found in breach of contract for not having the trees trimmed at your expense.

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby COGGY » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:44 pm

Hi

I don't believe you should be responsible for cutting these trees either. How long have you lived at the property? Is there an Agent involved that you could ask for advice? We let a property and would definitely believe it was our responsibility to cut tall trees. However for peace of mind why not look on google, or ask advice from Citizens Advice? You may find written evidence to send to the Landlord. Coggy
COGGY

Postby Collaborate » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:57 pm

You would never be expected to reduce the trees to the height they were when you moved in. They are bonkers.

I hope your deposit is secure. Have they told you where it's being kept?
Collaborate

Postby SwitchRich » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:56 pm

I would only worry about your deposit! As they have no right to ask you to trim those trees. That is completely unreasonable.
Is it held by your landlord personally or in a deposit scheme?
SwitchRich

Return to Trees