Huge Trees

Huge Trees

Postby johnrt » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:57 pm

Hi there,

Hoping for some advice, there are a row of trees (oak) at the end of my garden on National Rail property. They are about double the size of my house and grow an a sloped bank at the side of the railway line that passes the back of the garden. They do not overhang my property.

I would like Network Rail to reduce the height of the trees, which they refuse to do and I understand are under no obligation to do so. Do these trees fall under high hedge legislation? Are Network Rail liable for the costs of unblocking my gutters twice a year due to the torrent of leaves that comes off them?

Does anyone have any advice for negotiating with Network Rail about their height?

John.
johnrt

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Huge Trees

Postby TO » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:02 pm

Hi

No to both your questions. As for negotiating, speak to them, discuss what you want and why. Invite them round to see the problem first hand. That's about all you can do.
TO

Postby johnrt » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:14 pm

Thank you,

As they are not a standard neigbour, I imagine it boils down to cost for them, they have no need, like or dislike of the trees. Perhaps asking them for a quote for any work and offering to pay would be the solution?
johnrt

Postby despair » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:29 pm

Its pretty sad situation that the law allows virtually no redress to those whose property is affected by or blighted by a neighbours trees
despair

Postby COGGY » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:52 pm

Hi

Who did you contact at British Rail? It is often more productive to go right to the top. You should be able to find out who that is on line, or by phoning and asking, without saying your reason. A few years ago we had an appointment for British Gas to service our boiler one morning. Towards the end of the morning they rang to say it would be afternoon. That was ok but I asked if it could be after 2 pm. They said no, although it was eventually done at about 5 pm. I wrote to the boss of British Gas and received 2 months free maintenance plus they asked to use my letter in staff training. You have nothing to lose and may well win. Good luck. Coggy
COGGY

Postby appledore » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:13 pm

Good advice Coggy. I usually contact the chairman. It works wonders.

Good luck johnrt
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby johnrt » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:56 pm

Thank you for the advice guys,

I have appealed their decision to my local asset management team, and highlighted the fact that these trees pose a risk to the safety of not only my and my neighbours property, but also the railway due to the height and the fact that they grow on a reasonably steep bank. Admittedly, not an immediate or urgent risk, but a risk nonetheless. Even if I get nowhere at least I will have some documented evidence to hand for my insurance company should the worst ever happen.

There is a procedure of appeals I can follow if I don't agree with the outcome they decide, so we'll see where it goes.
johnrt

Postby APC » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:23 pm

Everything is a risk.
APC

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Trees