Proximity of neighbours trees

Re: Proximity of neighbours trees

Postby despair » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:32 pm

even you must have seen new roots grow
trees dont stand still
despair

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby COGGY » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:57 pm

Hi Despair

Your comment
trees don't stand still
made me laugh at the thought of trees dancing around the garden. :D Regards Coggy
COGGY

Postby COGGY » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:59 pm

Hi TO

I believe that when a tree's roots are cut off, it then produces roots in another direction. Cutting a few roots off does not prevent future damage imo.

Regards Coggy
COGGY

Postby redrobbo » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:03 am

Thanks for all the replies and info , being totally green ( :shock: ) on this subject this has been a real help , I will get this week out of the way and let them prune the tree back , then I will write the letter - my thoughts are as you guys state that all the time the tree is there and growing it is a risk.

thanks you all
redrobbo

Postby arborlad » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:54 am

redrobbo wrote:..... we get on well with these neighbours.......

Irrespective of the circumstances, once letters get written, it usually marks the end of any cordial relationship with the neighbours - think hard before putting pen to paper.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby despair » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:41 pm

Then the polite thing to do is have a very frank discussion with them before money is spent pruning a tree whose roots will only grow and cause another problem
despair

Postby COGGY » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:42 pm

Getting on well with neighbours is obviously very important. However preserving ones property is also important. Tree roots can cause enormous damage and from reading on this site I understand that the tree owner can only be held responsible for damage caused after he has been made aware. In that case I would expect some proof would be needed that the neighbour has been made aware. Would it be sufficient to simply say "I told him in a discussion in September 2016"?

Redrobbo have you informed your insurance company of this? Before doing so make sure you are covered for such things.

Regards Coggy
COGGY

Postby despair » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:59 pm

NO

just telling the neighbour is not enough

there must be written evidence and recorded delivery too

theres no reason for the OP to inform their insurers unless damage actually occurs to the structure of their house
despair

Postby SarahSue » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:57 pm

I cannot offer any practical advice - these guys are far more expert than me - but I will say from previous experience with a neighbour issue, it really can go either way. Depending on the person, neighbour relationships can be soured or a reasonable neighbour will see things from your viewpoint and be understanding and do what they can to avoid your property being damaged or issues occurring. I can totally understand your reluctance to do anything that they might sour relations. That said, if it was me I would want to protect my property. I have a friend who has neighbours who have let their trees grow out of control and I know the misery it has caused them, not to mention damage to their property.
SarahSue

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Previous

Return to Trees