Russian Vine in Tree with TPO

Russian Vine in Tree with TPO

Postby CRACKERS » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:38 pm

I have an enquiry regarding Tree Preservation Orders.
Their is a tree between us and our neighbours that has a TPO on it. This tree is being completely over run by Russian Vine, the tree provides privacy for both us and the neighbours, we are concerned that the russian vine is going to kill the tree which does not look that heathy anyway leaving us without any privacy, as the tree has a TPO on it should the neighbours maintain the health of the tree by removing the russian vine? This vine is so out of control our fence is also now bowing with the weight of it. It is growing over the fence and we have to trim it all the time. I can deal with this but if the privacy goes I will not be happy.
Any information regarding this would be gratefully received..
CRACKERS

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Russian Vine in Tree with TPO

Postby despair » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:09 pm

Call the TPO officer yourself

but since if russian vine touches the ground it easily roots i would get some roundup and spray it pdq
despair

Postby Treeman » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:47 am

CRACKERS wrote:as the tree has a TPO on it should the neighbours maintain the health of the tree by removing the russian vine?

The TPO legislation is there to prevent anyone damaging the tree, it has no provision to make anyone take action to maintain it.
Treeman

Postby jongru » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:30 pm

A Russian Vine, unlike ivy, does not draw its nourishment from the tree. I don't think it is capable of actually damaging a tree, but when it spreads widely it looks unsightly. There is no good reason why a tree surgeon should not be able to cut back the Russian Vine with minimal if any damage to the tree itself. I would suggest you get a tree surgeon to look at it (you indicate it's your neighbour's tree but it would be neighbourly to offer to share the cost) and point out to him that there is a TPO and ask if he can do the work without breaching the TPO.

A TPO does not oblige your neighbour to remove the Russian Vine and I don't think it would oblige him to remove ivy either, though it would cause more damage. If the tree itself is causing damage (rotten branches about to fall, roots damaging buildings or walls) it is usually possible to get the council tree officer to authorise pruning or tree removal.
jongru

Postby TO » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:24 am

jongru wrote:A Russian Vine, unlike ivy, does not draw its nourishment from the tree
Ivy is not parasitic, it does not draw its nourishment from the tree. It just uses it as a climbing frame to get up to the light.

jongru wrote: If the tree itself is causing damage (rotten branches about to fall, roots damaging buildings or walls) it is usually possible to get the council tree officer to authorise pruning or tree removal.
Still doesn't mean the neighbour has to implement the consent.

TO
TO

Return to Trees