Block Unsightly Mess

Block Unsightly Mess

Postby inca1 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:44 am

house 2 (800x600).jpg
house 2 (800x600).jpg (255.56 KiB) Viewed 806 times
Hi

Can anyone advise on the best way to block from view the mess the neighbouring farm have dumped? They have dumped car parts, fridges etc and the rubbish is quite high. Planning have been contacted and have said they will visit the site but this has been ongoing for months and the rubbish is getting worse. They have told me I can only erect a fence to a height of 2m however there are no restrictions on natural hedges so I would be after something quite high to block the mess when looking through the upstairs windows.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
inca1

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Block Unsightly Mess

Postby despair » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:23 pm

dreaded leylandi is the fastest dense hedge going and cheap to buy

why not contact environmental health dept concerned about rats etc taking hold
despair

Postby inca1 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:52 pm

Environmental health have been out and said it was more a planning issue and not a health issue.

I think leylandi is the answer I just thought there may be a fast growing less invasive option perhaps bamboo although I know this can spread and soon become out of control!
inca1

Postby MacadamB53 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:58 pm

Hi inca1,

planting a row of trees which are already big enough to obscure the view will 1. cost a fair bit and 2. burden you with the overhead of keeping their growth in check.

planting a row of saplings might well prove a waste insofar as the eyesore might be gone before the saplings have grown.

why not, instead, build a 2m fence as this will reduce the impact of the eyesore and will limit the amount detritus which might otherwise migrate into your hedge/row of trees and beyond.

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby arborlad » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:06 pm

inca1 wrote:
house 2 (800x600).jpg
Hi

Can anyone advise on the best way to block from view the mess the neighbouring farm have dumped? They have dumped car parts, fridges etc and the rubbish is quite high. Planning have been contacted and have said they will visit the site but this has been ongoing for months and the rubbish is getting worse. They have told me I can only erect a fence to a height of 2m however there are no restrictions on natural hedges so I would be after something quite high to block the mess when looking through the upstairs windows.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Unless I'm mistaken, you've already got a perfect solution - a well established Russian Vine.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby stufe35 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:28 pm

My thoughts too you already appear to have a hedge , just let it grow. If you want to speed it up place manure along the base a couple of times a year.
stufe35

Postby inca1 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:47 am

Thanks for the replies I think i will leave the current hedge to grow :)
inca1

Postby TO » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:06 pm

Hi

The trouble with that is your Russian vine needs something to grow up such that it will screeen the eyesore. It hasn't got that. I would advise plant Leylandii. They're quick growing and provide a dense screen. No issues that i can see about neighbour complaints.

TO
TO

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Hedges