Advice on height of screening panels (NOT BOUNDARY FENCE)

Advice on height of screening panels (NOT BOUNDARY FENCE)

Postby DevonGirl53 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:57 pm

Hi Peeps :D

I own a house with rear garden & I own the rear 5ft high boundary wall between us & the house over the back in the next street. It is only single skin wall, not in great condition so I can not attach anything to it securely.
This neighbour over the back has raised the ground level near my boundary wall & removed a screening panel from their side meaning now that when they are near my wall they can see right over into my garden (also my back bedroom window & bathroom window).
Mediation/negotiation is out of the question as we have fallen out, so I want them to disappear from view.

My plan is this; about 6 inches on my side of my boundary wall I want to drop in a row of concrete posts & slot in some short screening panels attached halfway up the posts near the top (I do not want full length panels as I have plants growing along the base of the wall).

Reading some topics on here I appreciate that a boundary fence can only be 2 metres high, but mine will not be a boundary fence as I already have the wall, this is just to screen us & give us privacy from the neighbour & the posts will not be connected to the wall in any way.

What is the maximum height that I can go to? Ideally I would need a little over 7 foot & the panels would not be see through, i.e. not trellis.

Also, as the sun comes around on my side, has my neighbour got any right to light if I put the end part of their garden in the shade with my 7ft screen panels?

Neighbours,,, everybody needs good neighbours....!

Thank you kindly!
DevonGirl53

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Advice on height of screening panels (NOT BOUNDARY FENCE

Postby despair » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:53 pm

firstly the neighbours have zero right to pile soil up against your property /wall and they need planning permision to raise their ground level

theres nothing to stop you building a pergola of some shape or form near to the boundary and that could have trellis panels

if it was me i would move the plants you have by the wall in large clumps of soil and resite them and instead plant
leylandi or bamboo or photinia or pyracantha against the wall

trying to install posts and half panels as you suggest might not be easy and could become a wind sail never mind not looking particularily nice
despair

Postby DevonGirl53 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:53 pm

Thanks, unfortunately due to the layout of my garden it has to be a row of screen panels.
Also, please can you point me to any rules/law regarding why my neighbour can not raise his soil level against my wall, as I was totally unaware of this.
Thank you kindly
DevonGirl53

Postby despair » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:46 pm

you neighbour needs planning permision to raise his garden height

its your wall and your property and your neighbour has no right whatever to

paint or render it
attach anything to it
lean or pile anything inc soil against it
throw or kick balls against it

in short by piling soil against a garden wall that is not their property they are 100% responsible for every ounce of damage to it plus the costs of repairing it and removing all the soil which will spill into your garden PDQ

check all your mortgages insurances credit cards union memberships for legal expenses cover and set ball rolling plus file a complaint with planning enforcement
your neighbours need to apply for PP plus they need to build a proper retaining wall
despair

Postby arborlad » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:11 am

DevonGirl53 wrote:Hi Peeps :D

I own a house with rear garden & I own the rear 5ft high boundary wall between us & the house over the back in the next street. It is only single skin wall, not in great condition so I can not attach anything to it securely.
This neighbour over the back has raised the ground level near my boundary wall & removed a screening panel from their side meaning now that when they are near my wall they can see right over into my garden (also my back bedroom window & bathroom window).
Mediation/negotiation is out of the question as we have fallen out, so I want them to disappear from view.

My plan is this; about 6 inches on my side of my boundary wall I want to drop in a row of concrete posts & slot in some short screening panels attached halfway up the posts near the top (I do not want full length panels as I have plants growing along the base of the wall).

Reading some topics on here I appreciate that a boundary fence can only be 2 metres high, but mine will not be a boundary fence as I already have the wall, this is just to screen us & give us privacy from the neighbour & the posts will not be connected to the wall in any way.

What is the maximum height that I can go to? Ideally I would need a little over 7 foot & the panels would not be see through, i.e. not trellis.

Also, as the sun comes around on my side, has my neighbour got any right to light if I put the end part of their garden in the shade with my 7ft screen panels?

Thank you kindly!

You have to be ultra careful what you do here - the chances of you returning from holiday to find you have lost a foot or more of land are very real. It's all very well to call them screening panels but if they're placed in front of a wall that is in poor condition - the reality may be somewhat different - duplicating boundary features is never a good idea.

Whether raising of land levels requires planning permission would depend on the scale and nature of the works, a few inches near your wall would not be considered the same as a few feet touching your wall.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby arborlad » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:54 am

arborlad wrote:
DevonGirl53 wrote:Hi Peeps :D

Thank you kindly!

You have to be ultra careful what you do here - the chances of you returning from holiday to find you have lost a foot or more of land are very real. It's all very well to call them screening panels but if they're placed in front of a wall that is in poor condition - the reality may be somewhat different - duplicating boundary features is never a good idea.

Whether raising of land levels requires planning permission would depend on the scale and nature of the works, a few inches near your wall would not be considered the same as a few feet touching your wall.

Not sure what is happening :? .....if I click on New Posts nothing is appearing but the post is obviously here - I think :?
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Return to Fences