Can a neighbour keep our fence?

Can a neighbour keep our fence?

Postby Wellway » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:06 pm

Hi

A neighbour is erecting a fence in my garden as they say I have encroached on their land. This is a dispute but we are sick and letting them get on with it now as only a foot or two we will lose.

This leaves the back section of my fence behind theirs now. They have said they would not let us have this back as compensation for the trouble this has caused.

Do they have a legal right to not return this to us? They paid nothing towards this fence when we had it put up.

Thanks
Wellway

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Can a neighbour keep our fence?

Postby MacadamB53 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:25 pm

Hi Wellway,

if the new fence stands on the edge of their land it follows that the old fence stands on their land too - which means it's their fence not yours despite you paying for it.

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby Wellway » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:21 pm

Hi Mac, we have spoken before.

It use to be a hedge for the boundary and the new fence is on our side of where the hedge was, but she is now wanting a few more feet of our garden which lands it in her side of the boundary she wants, this is our dispute.

We just want our fence back and to get on with life but she is obsessed!!
Wellway

Postby despair » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:07 pm

More likely an outright bully

Sorry but no way would i allow her any of your garden
despair

Return to Fences