Boundary fence hight

Boundary fence hight

Postby Cripes » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:09 pm

The legal maximum height for a boundary fence in my local authority, without planning permission, is 2 metres. Does anyone know, is this the height to the top of the trellis, or does it include the posts and post caps, which normally extend 2-3" above the fence?

I have tried to find out from my planning department and the planning portal, but nobody really seems to know and cannot cite any planning reference, text or source, the hopeless lot.

I am fine at 1880 for most of my garden but, having built it in 3 levels, I have one section between the neighbouring patios where it needs to be a bit higher. With tricky neighbours with a high sense of entitlement, I need to be quite sure of the rules. Many thanks!
Cripes

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Boundary fence hight

Postby arborlad » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:56 pm

Cripes wrote:The legal maximum height for a boundary fence in my local authority, without planning permission, is 2 metres. Does anyone know, is this the height to the top of the trellis, or does it include the posts and post caps, which normally extend 2-3" above the fence?

I have tried to find out from my planning department and the planning portal, but nobody really seems to know and cannot cite any planning reference, text or source, the hopeless lot.

I am fine at 1880 for most of my garden but, having built it in 3 levels, I have one section between the neighbouring patios where it needs to be a bit higher. With tricky neighbours with a high sense of entitlement, I need to be quite sure of the rules. Many thanks!

Normally yes, the trellis is included in the overall height of 2m. A panel fence looks terrible when the post is below the panel, only slightly better when the same height, for aesthetics an inch or two above the panel looks right, I've never known any sort of enforcement over a minor detail like that. A foot or more would be viewed differently.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Re: Boundary fence hight

Postby Cripes » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:37 pm

Now you say it, it makes sense Arborlad, can't see planning enforcement getting too fussed about the posts being an inch or two above 2m unless I encounter some jobsworth. The neighbours may be a different kettle of fish of course! It is surprising how little info planning departments publish on garden law issues, you'd think they'd have it all set out in black and white but they seem to be totally dysfunctional in this regard.

Many thanks for your input.
Cripes

Return to Fences