Neighbour built wall between driveways - creating hazard

Re: Neighbour built wall between driveways - creating hazard

Postby TEARDOWNWALL » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:17 am

mugwump wrote:You just need to adopt what artics and tractors with trailers do, swing out slightly to the right into the hatched area before turning in.

Your neighbour to the right has a similar width to work with, ask them how they do it.

The car did have to swing out, but the traffic caused meant an Uber whizzed past on the other side due to the traffic caused thus creating a hazard

They have a less sharp turn to contend with on the other side
TEARDOWNWALL

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby TEARDOWNWALL » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:18 am

arborlad wrote:
mugwump wrote:You just need to adopt what artics and tractors with trailers do, swing out slightly to the right into the hatched area before turning in.

...........that'd be fine but for the very substantial traffic calming island occupying that space.

This is exactly the the problem, and then other cars go on the other side due to the traffic build up
TEARDOWNWALL

Postby TEARDOWNWALL » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:20 am

pilman wrote:It would seem that the obvious solution would be to indicate left when approaching from the direction that the photo shows and drive past your house entrance to stop partly on the paved crossover area in front of the neighbour's drive and partly on the road. Then reverse into your drive.

That would also make it much easier to drive forward into the road the next time the car is used.

Second alternative is do what I did when I retired.
Part exchange a Mercedes for a new Honda Jazz.
It's easier to drive and park, it saves on fuel costs, and it allows five passengers to be transported just as well as a Mercedes saloon does, but with better carrying capacity for items when the "magic" back seats are folded down.

It would also most definitely allow you to drive straight on to your drive if that is the preferred way to enter your property.

We try reverse normally, but as stated, the road is a fast road, people come down quick and right behind you and thus do not leave enough space to reverse during peak periods

Our second car is a Honda Jazz which can just about manage

Also, sometimes we have elderly visitors coming whos taxis cannot get in now and they are forced to walk further
TEARDOWNWALL

Postby TEARDOWNWALL » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:21 am

thin and crispy wrote:So what you are saying TEARDOWNWALL is that you want to remove your neighbour's wall, which you say is on his side of the boundary, so that you can drive over his land.

That's got to be a joke.

You can't seriously think it's okay to dictate the boundary structure your neighbour employs just because your car is too big for you to handle.

How do your other neighbours manage? I see they have a similar wall to contend with.

This is not a joke, its seriously making our lives more impractical

Our neighbour another house down did not build their wall to the end because the angle would be too tight, this inconsiderate neighbour did

Other neighbour manages as the turn is slightly less sharp
TEARDOWNWALL

Postby TEARDOWNWALL » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:24 am

jonahinoz wrote:Hi,

From a legal (if not moral) point of view, what is the position if Teardownwall (or his predecessors) has been encroaching on the neighbour's drive for the last 20 years? Would there now be an easement? (I didn't write the law) This wall is new, but the previous wall did not reach the boundary.

I think my first move would be to ask the council to extend your dropped kerb (probably at your expense). You already have a dropped kerb, so they cannot prevent you driving in/out of your property. Extending the dropped kerb will reduce the hazard/delays. Until they say "No", you don't know that they will. Could it be argued that you already have permission for a dropped kerb, perhaps without any specified limit on how much can be dropped? I paid to have 6m of my kerb dropped, that's the full width of my plot. Nobody mentioned/asked "how wide" it was going to be.

A dropped kerb the full width of your drive, plus a smidgen, would allow two cars to park on your drive, probably increase the value of your house.

John W

Thank you John, yes we have considered the dropped kerb

We have phoned the council and they empathised with us saying the neighbour was silly to build it to the end. They would consider dropping the kerb but they would need to do survey etc. and it would be at our cost.

Also, our driveway does handle two cars, our other car is a Jazz which can just about get in now
TEARDOWNWALL

Postby arborlad » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:37 am

TEARDOWNWALL wrote:
arborlad wrote:

...........that'd be fine but for the very substantial traffic calming island occupying that space.

This is exactly the the problem, and then other cars go on the other side due to the traffic build up

I think I know the answer but, which came first, the traffic island or the dropped kerb?
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby TEARDOWNWALL » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:38 pm

arborlad wrote:I think I know the answer but, which came first, the traffic island or the dropped kerb?

Council built the kerb and island at the same time - due to speeding on the road and the danger that posed to cars and pedestrians
TEARDOWNWALL

Postby arborlad » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:43 pm

TEARDOWNWALL wrote:
arborlad wrote:I think I know the answer but, which came first, the traffic island or the dropped kerb?

Council built the kerb and island at the same time - due to speeding on the road and the danger that posed to cars and pedestrians

Not sure if we have our wires crossed, I meant the dropped kerb which forms part of the crossover that leads to your drive and the raised kerb that is part of the central island.
Last edited by arborlad on Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby Clifford Pope » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:53 pm

Collaborate wrote: From the final photo there seems nothing to stop the Merc swinging in to the drive..

That's how it looks to me. Close, but probably a few inches clearance. Is that really full lock?
Swing out a bit more before turning, give it right lock and go back a foot, or get a car with a better lock.
Clifford Pope

Postby mr sheen » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:30 pm

Someone has to point out the reality of this situation.....so here goes...

OP - You have chosen to buy a property on what you consider to be a fast road.

You bought a set amount of land and so did your neighbour. Just as you expect to be able to use all of your land as you choose, as is your right (subject to normal or contractual constraints ); your neighbour has the same expectation and right.

You have no right to make the neighbour use his land to suit your needs. If he wants a wall then he can have one and if the council find it acceptable, then there isn't anything you can do about it.

If the property on a fast road no longer suits your needs you could always move. Or you could always offer to purchase some land from the neighbour to ease your issues, money often talks....probably lots of it where there are benefits for one party. Other than that you have to seek an alternative solution. You have to accept your neighbours rights and adjust your entry and egress from your property accordingly.

If you cause an obstruction on the highway and there is an accident, your liability will be assessed by an insurance company, and if appropriate the police if your actions contravene the Highway Code/legislation.

As with many cases.....really nicely approaching negotiation may be a good starting point, explaining the difficulties and offering to pay for the wall to be modified along with other incentives.
mr sheen

Postby TEARDOWNWALL » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:38 pm

mr sheen wrote:Someone has to point out the reality of this situation.....so here goes...

OP - You have chosen to buy a property on what you consider to be a fast road.

You bought a set amount of land and so did your neighbour. Just as you expect to be able to use all of your land as you choose, as is your right (subject to normal or contractual constraints ); your neighbour has the same expectation and right.

You have no right to make the neighbour use his land to suit your needs. If he wants a wall then he can have one and if the council find it acceptable, then there isn't anything you can do about it.

If the property on a fast road no longer suits your needs you could always move. Or you could always offer to purchase some land from the neighbour to ease your issues, money often talks....probably lots of it where there are benefits for one party. Other than that you have to seek an alternative solution. You have to accept your neighbours rights and adjust your entry and egress from your property accordingly.

If you cause an obstruction on the highway and there is an accident, your liability will be assessed by an insurance company, and if appropriate the police if your actions contravene the Highway Code/legislation.

As with many cases.....really nicely approaching negotiation may be a good starting point, explaining the difficulties and offering to pay for the wall to be modified along with other incentives.

We tried speaking to them twice the day it was built, no consideration whatsoever. He is quite honestly, an obstinate censored who is thoughtless. He built on the other side without checking if it was his wall and ended up tearing that down!
TEARDOWNWALL

Postby TEARDOWNWALL » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:40 pm

Clifford Pope wrote:
Collaborate wrote: From the final photo there seems nothing to stop the Merc swinging in to the drive..

That's how it looks to me. Close, but probably a few inches clearance. Is that really full lock?
Swing out a bit more before turning, give it right lock and go back a foot, or get a car with a better lock.

Swinging out is tricky in rush hour due to cars and buses potentially being on the other side coming fast
TEARDOWNWALL

Postby TEARDOWNWALL » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:44 pm

arborlad wrote:Council built the kerb and island at the same time - due to speeding on the road and the danger that posed to cars and pedestrians

Not sure if we have our wires crossed, I meant the dropped kerb which forms part of the crossover that leads to your drive and the raised kerb that is part of the central island.[/quote]

Council built both at same period as they chose the kerb placements

In terms of layout central island is first and then kerb

Apologies - not fully sure about all this, not my area of knowledge!
TEARDOWNWALL

Postby MacadamB53 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:43 pm

MacadamB53 wrote:Hi TEARDOWNWALL,

this is creating a safety hazard

no more so than if the wall didn't exist - a car indicating, braking and then turning left off the main road.

give yourself permission to relax and complete the manoeuvre at your own pace.

Kind regards, Mac
seems you may have missed my posting...
MacadamB53

Postby thin and crispy » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:56 am

TEARDOWNWALL wrote:
thin and crispy wrote:So what you are saying TEARDOWNWALL is that you want to remove your neighbour's wall, which you say is on his side of the boundary, so that you can drive over his land.

That's got to be a joke.

You can't seriously think it's okay to dictate the boundary structure your neighbour employs just because your car is too big for you to handle.

How do your other neighbours manage? I see they have a similar wall to contend with.

This is not a joke, its seriously making our lives more impractical

Our neighbour another house down did not build their wall to the end because the angle would be too tight, this inconsiderate neighbour did

Other neighbour manages as the turn is slightly less sharp

I didn't mean your situation was a joke. I meant your attitude to it, as expressed in this thread, seems to be a joke. It's so unbelievably unreasonable that I can't think of any other explanation for your posts - especially when considered together with your chosen username (which seems designed to convey the impression of an inflexible obsessive).

Why do you think you might have any sort of basis - moral, practical, legal or otherwise - for wanting him to tear down his wall, TEARDOWNWALL?

If you are genuinely finding it a problem to get your car into a 12-foot wide opening why not try:
a) Approaching from the other direction,
b) Getting a smaller car,
c) Move to a house with a wider drive, or
d) Live dangerously and let your rear near-side wheel mount the kerb.

I don't think your neighbour is being at all inconsiderate. He has done only what he is entitled to do (unless, of course, you know of any hitherto unmentioned planning restrictions which apply in his case). It is not reasonable for you to expect to drive over your neighbour's land. Maybe he doesn't like you doing so and has built the wall to put a stop to it.

Do you have any "history' with this neighbour by any chance?
Prejudice, not being founded on reason, cannot be removed by argument. Samuel Johnson.
thin and crispy

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

PreviousNext

Return to Boundaries