fence who owns it

fence who owns it

Postby Sookisox » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:53 pm

Please could I have some advice pleas.

We purchased our property 6 years ago, on the right hand side of our back garden, we went to look, there was a 2ft high wall, but as we approached the wall, to our horror there was a 10ft drop! The neighbour on the other side was in his garden, we apologised as we did not realise there was a drop so could see him. He told us that he himself dug out earth to lower his garden and he had actually built the wall. The wall has been built using breeze blocks, only one layer.
We told him for the safety of our children we would be putting up a fence, he bitterly protested saying he wanted the manhole in our garden but had to build the wall around it, we asked what it had to do with the fence? he said we have 4 inches of his land around the grid??? So, we put up a 6ft fence, this being 4ft higher than the wall, we put it 4inches away from the boundary wall all the way along, there are 6 x 6 x 6 panels.

We have had no end of problems with them, police are involved. Today he has climbed on top of the wall and painted my fence that is 4 inches away from the boundary wall ( he built without council permission )

Is my fence my property? I thought it was as its in my land away from the property. Has he the right to paint it?

Thanks
Sookisox

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: fence who owns it

Postby despair » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:39 pm

firstly he has no right to lower his land without planning permision
he has no right to leave your land without proper support
a single thickness breeze block wall is in no way adequate
the fence is totally yours and he has no right whatever
to paint or stain it
no right to touch it or grow anything up it
no right to lean anything against it

do you have legal expenses cover on your mortgage ,insurances,credit cards ,union membership

check very carefully and also
involve the planning enforcement officer
involve building regs officer
despair

Postby Sookisox » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:42 pm

I dont know what legal expenses I have, I will check, no union hubby self employed.

He has caused no end of harassment for us with his partner, I have him on CCTV cutting my hedges in my front garden no where near the side boundary, they are to the right of my double gates away from his property.
My other neighbour witnessed him shoot my cat, we had to have her put to sleep as pellet lodged in her brain, police did nothing.
he dug a hole enticed my dog under then phoned, RSPCA to say cruelty to animals.
He then poisoned my other cat with rat poison and antifreeze, had to have her put to sleep.
have him bragging on CCTV he did it and was laughing. Police have the videos.

He thinks he owns us and can do what he wants, so I wanted to make sure he is definitely in the wrong before I do any thing.

I know this forum is about boundaries and fences, I am just explaining why I want to know about my fence, im not being silly, but im concerned he keeps pushing his limits.

Thanks for your reply
Sookisox

Postby Sookisox » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:53 pm

I think the wall has been there for more than 6 yrs, will he have to build a 2nd layer enforced by the council?

is painting my fence criminal damage?
Sookisox

Postby jonahinoz » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:54 am

Hi,

You could try asking the RSPCA to lean on the police, but I don't know if they will. Worth asking.

I wonder if your neighbour has "friends in high places"?

Do you really mean that your neighbour dug down 10ft??

John W
jonahinoz

Postby despair » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:02 pm

If the paint has come through your side he can be made yo pay for cost of sorting it out

Sadly you clearly have a very very nasty neighbour and i would be wanting to know from the Chief Constable as to why no action has been taken if that gets nowhere the Police Comissioner
despair

Return to Fences