Neighbour built wall between driveways - creating hazard

Re: Neighbour built wall between driveways - creating hazard

Postby TEARDOWNWALL » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:24 pm

jonahinoz wrote:how have things become more hazardous? a car is making a standard manoeuvre and any qualified driver approaching such a hazard should be capable of dealing with it - look in mirror, apply brakes, job done.

Hi Mac,

I am surprised that a qualified and experienced driver can ask such a question.

Yes, there should be no problem for Teardown, to enter his drive. The problem comes in when you have an inexperienced, possibly road-enraged, driving against the clock, sitting on your tail, not understanding what you are going to do.

If somebody runs into the back of my car, it is usually their fault. Personally, I would rather they didn't.

OT ... within the last half hour, a taxi (experienced driver?) pulled out of a side road without stopping, intending to go straight across the major road. He was T-boned. Accidents shouldn't happen, but they do. Co-incidentally, I wrote to my Highways Department yesterday, pointing out how hazardous this junction is ... but I was expecting a head-on collision between opposing cars on the major road. I am unhappy when the Planners force me into a position where I am vunerable.

John W


Precisely this, people tailgate around a fast bend and then we indicate and have to grapple with an island, a kerb and now a wall which makes it harder to pull in at a decent speed and get out of the way thereby making us and our passengers vulnerable
TEARDOWNWALL
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:17 pm

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.
 

Re: Neighbour built wall between driveways - creating hazard

Postby despair » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:41 pm

Totally agree that the crazy tailgating and impatient motorists around these days make life for even the most experienced drivers very difficult even when not faced with the situation that Teardownwall is dealing with

On a quiet side road the more difficult drive might not be a problem but on a very busy road it could well be very dangerous indeed

If the kerb needs to be altered and dropped surely this alone indicates that the access is not what was originally intended
despair
 
Posts: 16041
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:07 am

Re: Neighbour built wall between driveways - creating hazard

Postby MacadamB53 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:46 pm

TEARDOWNWALL wrote:
jonahinoz wrote:how have things become more hazardous? a car is making a standard manoeuvre and any qualified driver approaching such a hazard should be capable of dealing with it - look in mirror, apply brakes, job done.

Hi Mac,

I am surprised that a qualified and experienced driver can ask such a question.

Yes, there should be no problem for Teardown, to enter his drive. The problem comes in when you have an inexperienced, possibly road-enraged, driving against the clock, sitting on your tail, not understanding what you are going to do.

If somebody runs into the back of my car, it is usually their fault. Personally, I would rather they didn't.

OT ... within the last half hour, a taxi (experienced driver?) pulled out of a side road without stopping, intending to go straight across the major road. He was T-boned. Accidents shouldn't happen, but they do. Co-incidentally, I wrote to my Highways Department yesterday, pointing out how hazardous this junction is ... but I was expecting a head-on collision between opposing cars on the major road. I am unhappy when the Planners force me into a position where I am vunerable.

John W


Precisely this, people tailgate around a fast bend and then we indicate and have to grapple with an island, a kerb and now a wall which makes it harder to pull in at a decent speed and get out of the way thereby making us and our passengers vulnerable
you would still need to perform the kind exact same manoeuvre regardless.
you should not be "pulling in at a decent speed" and therein lies the real issue.
give yourself permission to perform the manoeuvre at a sensible speed - the more folk who don't, the more the idiots will tailgate.
MacadamB53
 
Posts: 6032
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:13 am

Re: Neighbour built wall between driveways - creating hazard

Postby arborlad » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:50 pm

TEARDOWNWALL wrote: In fact, we could get a long Mercedes van into our driveway (also this was before the island)




I did ask which came first :? :roll: .................now go back to the council and tell them that you want the dropped kerb and crossover altered at their expense to take account of the restriction caused by the central island.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad
 
Posts: 7384
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:30 pm
Location: Hertfordshire

Re: Neighbour built wall between driveways - creating hazard

Postby TEARDOWNWALL » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:18 pm

arborlad wrote:
TEARDOWNWALL wrote: In fact, we could get a long Mercedes van into our driveway (also this was before the island)




I did ask which came first :? :roll: .................now go back to the council and tell them that you want the dropped kerb and crossover altered at their expense to take account of the restriction caused by the central island.


Apologies if I have been unclear, please bare with

To clarify, we used to get a van in over 10 years ago (a period during which there was a wall but with much shortened to allow the turning circle) & no island, dropped kerbs etc.

I think the island came around 7/8 years ago along with bollards, but people kept parking on the sides and thus the council changed the bollards as they were ugly and ineffective so the council changed it to dropped kerbs

We will mention this as well
TEARDOWNWALL
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:17 pm

Re: Neighbour built wall between driveways - creating hazard

Postby mugwump » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:06 am

arborlad wrote:
TEARDOWNWALL wrote: In fact, we could get a long Mercedes van into our driveway (also this was before the island)




I did ask which came first :? :roll: .................now go back to the council and tell them that you want the dropped kerb and crossover altered at their expense to take account of the restriction caused by the central island.

May be hard to argue that it is causing a problem so long after the island was constructed.
mugwump
 
Posts: 430
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:34 pm

Re: Neighbour built wall between driveways - creating hazard

Postby jonahinoz » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:20 am

May be hard to argue that it is causing a problem so long after the island was constructed.

Hi Mugwump.

Don't ask, don't get!

I would argue that the problem was there all this time, just waiting for Teardown's neighbour to exercise his rights to build a wall.

Me? I would fight for the right to have a dropped kerb the full width of my property, and accept the it's for my benefit, so at my expense. I don't know if Teardown is able to turn around in his property, and/or has room to install a turntable, but reversing into traffic would be a deal-breaker if I was looking to buy. We rejected one house, when we were looking, ... similar approach angle to Teardown's drive, with the added advantage of a bus-shelter adjacent to the dropped kerb ... so add in a stationary bus too.

602
jonahinoz
 
Posts: 1346
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:15 pm

Re: Neighbour built wall between driveways - creating hazard

Postby TEARDOWNWALL » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:18 pm

jonahinoz wrote:May be hard to argue that it is causing a problem so long after the island was constructed.

Hi Mugwump.

Don't ask, don't get!

I would argue that the problem was there all this time, just waiting for Teardown's neighbour to exercise his rights to build a wall.

Me? I would fight for the right to have a dropped kerb the full width of my property, and accept the it's for my benefit, so at my expense. I don't know if Teardown is able to turn around in his property, and/or has room to install a turntable, but reversing into traffic would be a deal-breaker if I was looking to buy. We rejected one house, when we were looking, ... similar approach angle to Teardown's drive, with the added advantage of a bus-shelter adjacent to the dropped kerb ... so add in a stationary bus too.

602


Just looked at council guidance documents in more detail and did some measurements, looks like we are capped out in terms of changes to dropped kerb, will call the council with the dimensions / diagrams we have drawn to check.

We cannot turn around within our driveway (used to be able to have space to maneuver prior to the wall).

Interesting you say re. dealbreaker - I read that other thread posted and looking at some of the arguments e.g. property value. This wall could damage the value of our property as the wall is fixed / permanent and inconvenient / reduces access and increases risk. Looks hard / expensive to prove in court but if the council objects this argument may have to be considered.
TEARDOWNWALL
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:17 pm

Re: Neighbour built wall between driveways - creating hazard

Postby mr sheen » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:27 pm

You clearly couldn't turn round in your own driveway before the wall because you can't now so you needed to trespass on the neighbours land.

The only question about court for what you suggest is how far out of the court they will throw it.
mr sheen
 
Posts: 2093
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:33 pm

Re: Neighbour built wall between driveways - creating hazard

Postby arborlad » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:10 am

TEARDOWNWALL wrote:We have phoned the council and they empathised with us saying the neighbour was silly to build it to the end. They would consider dropping the kerb but they would need to do survey etc. and it would be at our cost.




That's rather an ill-judged comment from the council which seems to have encouraged you down a route that has little or no chance of success. First point of contact with a council is usually a receptionist who knows which department to direct your enquiry to.

Because the central island came later than the initial road layout, dropped kerbs and crossover, there is room for negotiation with the council over widening the crossover and any associated costs, but even if you funded the entire works yourself, you would find it immensely cheaper than any sort of litigation with the neighbour.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad
 
Posts: 7384
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:30 pm
Location: Hertfordshire

Re: Neighbour built wall between driveways - creating hazard

Postby TEARDOWNWALL » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:23 pm

arborlad wrote:
TEARDOWNWALL wrote:We have phoned the council and they empathised with us saying the neighbour was silly to build it to the end. They would consider dropping the kerb but they would need to do survey etc. and it would be at our cost.




That's rather an ill-judged comment from the council which seems to have encouraged you down a route that has little or no chance of success. First point of contact with a council is usually a receptionist who knows which department to direct your enquiry to.

Because the central island came later than the initial road layout, dropped kerbs and crossover, there is room for negotiation with the council over widening the crossover and any associated costs, but even if you funded the entire works yourself, you would find it immensely cheaper than any sort of litigation with the neighbour.


It was not a receptionist, it was the manager responsible for assessing planning applications for alterations & vehicle crossings

Called again today to confirm and only course of action left is civil case
TEARDOWNWALL
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:17 pm

Re: Neighbour built wall between driveways - creating hazard

Postby ukmicky » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:52 am

Called again today to confirm and only course of action left is civil case


What civil case. You haven't got any grounds to take your neighbour to court and certainly do not have any case against the council. Forget all this about the island also because the council have every right to place it there even if it has made your exit or entrance harder.
Advice given is not legally qualified and you are advised to gain a professional opinion
ukmicky
 
Posts: 4544
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:13 pm
Location: London

Re: Neighbour built wall between driveways - creating hazard

Postby arborlad » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:12 am

TEARDOWNWALL wrote:
arborlad wrote:
TEARDOWNWALL wrote:We have phoned the council and they empathised with us saying the neighbour was silly to build it to the end. They would consider dropping the kerb but they would need to do survey etc. and it would be at our cost.




That's rather an ill-judged comment from the council which seems to have encouraged you down a route that has little or no chance of success. First point of contact with a council is usually a receptionist who knows which department to direct your enquiry to.

Because the central island came later than the initial road layout, dropped kerbs and crossover, there is room for negotiation with the council over widening the crossover and any associated costs, but even if you funded the entire works yourself, you would find it immensely cheaper than any sort of litigation with the neighbour.


It was not a receptionist, it was the manager responsible for assessing planning applications for alterations & vehicle crossings

Called again today to confirm and only course of action left is civil case




Have you applied to have the crossover widened?
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad
 
Posts: 7384
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:30 pm
Location: Hertfordshire

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.
 
Previous

Return to Boundaries

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests