Neighbour's debris

Neighbour's debris

Postby brober » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:47 pm

My neighbour has not touched his garden, which like mine is on a slope, in 20 years except once a year to cut it down. To do this he uses a petrol driven strimmer. The debris created goes flying everywhere and a lot lands in my garden. Approaching the neighbour is not an option due to his aggressiveness. What is the legal situation? I do not want him in my garden to do any tidying up (even if he would - which I doubt). Am I able to apply any reasonable legal pressure on him to cease this activity and find some other way that does not create the debris flying everywhere. The fence between us by the way is a vertically slatted timber fence some 5ft high which I put up myself on my ground. I am also concerned that his industrial strimmer may be damaging the timber work of the fence.

Scottish Law would apply.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Brober
brober

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Neighbour's debris

Postby span » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:14 am

Once a year? Nasty neighbour?

Forget about it.
span

Postby brober » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:00 am

That is not very helpful. You are not the one getting debris flung across your garden, pinging off the windows/washing, spreading all manner of disease etc, not to mention the inundation of weeds resulting from the seeds being projected. I was hoping for some constructive advice.
brober

Postby mr sheen » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:07 pm

Have a word with the neighbour.
If a neighbour gardening once a year offends you perhaps a house in the country with no neighbours will suit you better.

You weren't really hoping for someone to suggest you take legal action for this were you?

No...no you weren't, pheww! well thank goodness for that! Scotland or Timbucktoo a neighbour strimming once a year and choosing what to do with his own land, is legal.
mr sheen

Postby jonahinoz » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:21 pm

Hi,

Go into the garden when he is strimming. Scream, clutch your face, and dash indoors.

Naw, don't bother, he probably won't notice.

Is there anything like the Factories Acts to cover the use of dangerous machinery in a garden?

John W
jonahinoz

Postby Clifford Pope » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:49 pm

"If a neighbour gardening once a year offends you perhaps a house in the country with no neighbours will suit you better."

Annual tractor hedge-trashing by farmers and the council will make you long for the harmless grass cuttings of the gentle strimmer.
Clifford Pope

Postby brober » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:39 pm

If it were only grass cuttings! The ground has not been cultivated, let alone dug over, in over 40 years. The debris that lands in my garden can be anything from stones, lumps of earth, thick woody stems, thistle heads and the like.
brober

Postby span » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:21 pm

brober wrote:That is not very helpful. You are not the one getting debris flung across your garden, pinging off the windows/washing, spreading all manner of disease etc, not to mention the inundation of weeds resulting from the seeds being projected. I was hoping for some constructive advice.

No, I'm not. You are. I'm the guy telling you to keep a sense of proportion here. Have a word with certain members on here about living next door to a nasty neighbour who is making their lives a constant, endless, relentless, bullied misery. They'd swap your once a year harassment for their situation in an instant.

I'm not telling you that you're wrong in your feelings and experiences. You clearly have an issue that's real and pressing to you.

But, sense of proportion eh? And gratitude for small mercies too.
span

Postby jonahinoz » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:38 am

The debris that lands in my garden can be anything from stones, lumps of earth, thick woody stems, thistle heads and the like.

Hi Brober,

Almost a pity that there is no Japanese Knotweed included in that list.

John W
jonahinoz

Postby Eliza » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:03 am

jonahinoz wrote:The debris that lands in my garden can be anything from stones, lumps of earth, thick woody stems, thistle heads and the like.

Hi Brober,

John W

Is this post REALLY saying what I think it is?

Whew....and I thought I'd seen some nasty ones on here in my time!
Apologies for not giving exact personal details in my posts - you never know who is reading....
Eliza

Postby arborlad » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:15 am

Eliza wrote:
jonahinoz wrote:The debris that lands in my garden can be anything from stones, lumps of earth, thick woody stems, thistle heads and the like.

Hi Brober,

John W

You can search the forum 'til the cows come home - you won't find a nasty comment from that member!
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby MacadamB53 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:27 am

arborlad wrote:
Eliza wrote:

Hi Brober,

John W

You can search the forum 'til the cows come home - you won't find a nasty comment from that member!
+1
MacadamB53

Postby Eliza » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:24 pm

I read it that they are wishing Japanese Knotweed onto the person getting the rubbish in their garden.

I guess you've read it as - "You might be better able to deal with littering neighbour if there was JK included in the flying debris".

Unfortunate phrasing if it's option 2 out of the possible ways of reading that phrase and most people would probably read it the 1st way.
Apologies for not giving exact personal details in my posts - you never know who is reading....
Eliza

Postby MacadamB53 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:23 pm

Eliza wrote:I read it that they are wishing Japanese Knotweed onto the person getting the rubbish in their garden.

I guess you've read it as - "You might be better able to deal with littering neighbour if there was JK included in the flying debris".

Unfortunate phrasing if it's option 2 out of the possible ways of reading that phrase and most people would probably read it the 1st way.
or even option 3 - be grateful for small mercies
MacadamB53

Postby brober » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:36 pm

I read it the first way and was not impressed! So apologies if i misinterpreted the words John W. Notwithstanding from my experiences JK is not something to joke about.
brober

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Next

Return to Boundaries