New Bully Neighbour :(

New Bully Neighbour :(

Postby Ophelia17 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:18 pm

Hi.

Firstly thank you for the ad and thank you in advance for any reply's.

I live in a terraced house on a hill and my neighbour (I'm having trouble with) who's house is lower down than mine is now complaining about my fence I have just had fitted in the back garden. She is saying it's too high and blocking her light.
The fence in question is 200cm from my side but with hers been lower than my garden it's probably 7ft or a little more in places in her garden.
Just really wanting to know if I will be asked by the authorities to lower the fence??

The fence needed to be replaced as it would not have lasted another winter.
I fitted the now broken fence too over 10 years ago and admitted it belonged to me when she moved in, I could have lied and saved myself some £££, but that's really not me.
The broken fence was 5ft and because she and any visitors likes to stare at me in my kitchen I've upped the new fence height to just over 6ft.

Do you think this could be a problem for me??

Many thanks for taking the time to read.

Ps I rent my property and she owns hers!! If this would make a difference?

Thanks
Ophelia.
Ophelia17

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: New Bully Neighbour :(

Postby MacadamB53 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:51 pm

Hi Ophelia17,

from the details given it's not clear whether the fence is a breach of planning law.

if the ground level of your back garden has not been raised in recent times then you've done nothing illegal or unlawful and it's just unfortunate that the neighbour does not like your fence is all - just like you might not like her choice of curtains.

if, however, the ground level of your back garden has been raised then the LPA may take the view that your 2m tall fence is actually slightly taller - which is a breach of planning law - and ask you to either reduce the height or else submit a planning application.

kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Return to Fences