Are HIPs Dead?

Are HIPs Dead?

Postby gardenlaw » Wed May 23, 2007 8:29 am

Will it just be a delayed intoduction to 1st August 2007 or will the Government kill HIPs?

What the Government will not kill off is the Energy Report. This has always been the driver behind HIPs. Calling in aid the Friends of the Earth etc is a desperate attempt to salvage something from an ill conceived, ill thought through strategy aimed at fulfilling Treaty obligations, at the public's expence, to provide to the EU energy profiles for Britain's housing stock.

No mention is now made of speeding up the house selling process;making for certainty or stopping gasumping. All gone! I think the Government will be unable to face saying to sellers of 4 bedroomed houses the you have to have a HIP when the rest do not. Who thought up that one?
gardenlaw
Site Admin

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby bellerophon714 » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:40 am

hopefully, HIP's will "die".

however, i do think energy conservation is a good (if misguided) idea.

why misguided? because the "energy efficient" lightbulbs in my new house cannot be bought over the counter (we have looked everywhere), they have to be ordered from afar, at an extortionate cost, over the internet. the result? gradually, i am replacing them with older ones.

as for gazumping, i feel it would be much better all round if we adopted the scottish system, along with free water, free elderly care etc, etc,
bellerophon714

Postby brians » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:49 pm

Maybe I am too long in the tooth. When I was buying houses in the early 70's it was common practice to ask to see copies of the utility bills over the past 12 months. I cannot see any more accurate or reliable way of determining energy efficiency. Certainly far more accurate than counting the number of high efficiency light bulbs no matter how much training the HIPs qualified light bulb counter has endured. Am I missing something with age ??
brians

Postby Rowan » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:07 pm

The one thing I cannot produce for my property is energy bills

Like a lot of people with home computers I pay the majority of my bills by Direct Debit and have the 'bills' online

Result - no paperwork to show :wink:
Rowan

Postby hzatph » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:00 pm

Seriously - are the energy efficiency ratings based on energy bills. What madness. Surely this is far too sensitive to lifestyle issues. For example we modestly heat part of our house in winter - not all of it to a warm temperature all the time. We use supplementary heat from wood burner when we want it (from our own wood sources) and use oil for the rest and the Aga. With oil there is no meter to read.
hzatph

Postby Stoday » Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:48 am

When I sold my house a year ago, I was asked for utility bills, including water.

I wrote back saying I never keep them. Heard nothing more about it.
Stoday

Postby subjecttocontract » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:45 am

Rowan wrote:The one thing I cannot produce for my property is energy bills

Like a lot of people with home computers I pay the majority of my bills by Direct Debit and have the 'bills' online

Result - no paperwork to show :wink:

The boffins have invented a new fangled, modern piece of equipment that gets around this problem now, its called.......A PRINTER! :wink:
Almost everything I say is tinged with irony !
subjecttocontract

Postby subjecttocontract » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:50 am

Spare a thought for LANDLORDS of leasehold properties. They don't own the building and therefore have little influence on its energy performance.

The don't own the loft so can't add insulation
They don't own the walls so can't fill the cavity
They aren't allowed to install gas so no ultra efficient condensing boiler.
Most properties already have double glazing/ draught proofing

and yet from October we have to pay for an EPC...... What an absolute nonsense.
subjecttocontract

Postby HEDGEMONKEY2 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:48 pm

LIFE'S A censored :lol: .
HEDGEMONKEY2

Postby DavidM » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:13 pm

Here here subjecttocontract!

It's quite ludicrous to think we have to pay for things like that these days. It's just another thing landlords have to pay for.

Anything else the government would like to introduce? :(
[url=http://www.gardenfurnituresets.net/]garden furniture sets[/url]
DavidM

Postby subjecttocontract » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:57 pm

Anything else the government would like to introduce?

Yes there are a number of things in the pipeline (for landlords), some being trialled in specific parts of the country but, its to early to say if they will be a waste of time and money just yet.
subjecttocontract

Postby catapult1 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:14 pm

No HIPS are not dead.

They are useless, pointless, a needless process and outragious expence but they are not dead yet.

Like them or not you still have to have one.
My answers are not of a legal nature, only what I consider to be common sense.
catapult1

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Boundaries