Party Wall / Boundry Wall / Retaining Wall Advice Needed Please

Crazyripper

Party Wall / Boundry Wall / Retaining Wall Advice Needed Please

Post by Crazyripper » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:43 pm

Hi there

My neighbor has built a 2 meter fence along the top of our boundary wall which is also a party retaining wall,they have done this by core drilling the wall then putting steel and concrete in the hole.

The houses are built on a hill so their drive way is about 5 foot higher than mine.

They didn't seek my permission to do this or serve me any papers with their intended plans to allow me to object, is there anyway i can force them to take it down legally?

Thanks for any advice.

despair

Re: Party Wall / Boundry Wall / Retaining Wall Advice Needed Please

Post by despair » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:06 pm

I would be getting the local council Building Inspector out and consult a structural engineer

Does not sound like a sensible way to have acted as the boundary wall might not take the pressure wind on a fence

Viola

Post by Viola » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:17 am

Hi Crazyripper

Sounds like a similar problem to mine.

Especially in respect to neighbours not being open about their intentions, and politely communicating their plans of what they would like to do :roll:

However, my first thoughts are; are you sure it's a party wall?

More often than not [but not always] the higher ground property owns the retaining wall, and has the right to put a fence of up to 2 meters high measured from their garden level.

Also, why do you object to this fence?
Does it serve to provide privacy for both neighbours?

County council surveyors are presently furloughed due to the Covid lockdown, it maybe some time before you get one out.

MacadamB53
Number of Posts per Page: 100
Number of topics per page: 50

Post by MacadamB53 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:00 pm

Hi Viola,

More often than not [but not always] the higher ground property owns the retaining wall...

can you share where you’ve got this info from please?

...and has the right to put a fence of up to 2 meters high measured from their garden level

same for this as well.

your statements seem based on fact, but I’m not sure they are...

kind regards, Mac