Stone boundary wall - no specific ownership on plans

dory1949

Stone boundary wall - no specific ownership on plans

Post by dory1949 »

We purchased a bungalow in 2010 with small area of land and outbuildings. The whole of the land is bordered by old stone walls. Two houses have been built on the land - one by us, the other by person who bought a plot from us. We still live in the bungalow - so basically 3 properties in a line with our private access road running down the side of them all which is bordered by said wall. An area of the wall which we think used to be part of an old barn and is wide has no toppers on it and eventually will succumb to the weather we feel. We have sourced some extra wide reclaimed toppers which we intend putting on the wall. As there is no indication on any of the old plans we have as to who owns the walls, I don't want to end up becoming the owner of the walls by default through doing work on them. Should I write to all the neighbours who are connected to the wall - one in particular next to our land, who has put up a fence between the wall and his garden, just outlining our intentions and giving them the opportunity to contribute if they wish (no chance I know) but also pointing out the wall appears to be shared ownership by all of us and the fact we are improving it doesn't mean we are claiming ownership. Or would it be better to just do the work and let them think the wall is ours - they probably won't think anything to be honest - but presumably it would make them think twice if they wanted to, say, raise the height of the wall in the future. Are there any legal loopholes I should be looking at. Thank you for any help.
MacadamB53
Number of Posts per Page: 100
Number of topics per page: 50

Re: Stone boundary wall - no specific ownership on plans

Post by MacadamB53 »

Hi dory1949,

Should I write to all the neighbours who are connected to the wall... ...outlining our intentions and giving them the opportunity to contribute if they wish (no chance I know) ]
but also pointing out the wall appears to be shared ownership by all of us and the fact we are improving it doesn't mean we are claiming ownership. Or would it be better to just do the work and let them think the wall is ours

either option is fine IMHO, except for the bit I’ve underlined in bold - leave that out if you go with the former because it’s not true and confusing...

don’t worry, repairing the wall does not in any way mean the wall becomes your property.

kind regards, Mac