Garden wall fell down - help please

beeboss

Garden wall fell down - help please

Post by beeboss » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:07 pm

Hi
A few weeks ago the garden wall fell down.
It is a lengthy double thickness brick wall that separates my garden from the neighbours. It was obviously put up when the houses were built over a hundred years ago.

The problem is that I have no idea who owns the wall or whose responsibility it is to get it fixed (which is going to be quite a big and expensive job).

The problem is compounded because the next door neighbours never answer the door and don't respond to the notes I have put through their door. I think the house may be owned by a housing association but I am not sure. Also I live a long way from the house so I can't jump out at them when they are going in or out. I can't see it being likely that they or anyone else could know who owns the wall.
There is nothing marked on the land registry title plan except a red line showing approximately place where the boundary is. No markings that would indicate whether the boundary is my side their side or shared.

Does anyone have an idea of a way forward or any idea how it is possible to work out whose responsibility it is?

Alicia
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 20

Re: Garden wall fell down - help please

Post by Alicia » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:08 pm

You could buy a copy of their deeds from Land Registry. In many cases they're available online and will come out of your printer. This will tell you who owns the property. If it turns out to be a housing association as you suspect then you might find them very helpful in getting the wall mended.
_..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__

beeboss

Re: Garden wall fell down - help please

Post by beeboss » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:48 pm

Thanks, that is a very good idea.
Is there any way to determine who owns the wall though, or is it just impossible to tell?