Party Wall Help Needed

Re: Party Wall Help Needed

Postby jonahinoz » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:24 pm

Hi,

I understood the PWA to require the Developer to employ a surveyor, to act on your behalf, but at his (the Developer's) expense.

If you do not like his surveyor, YOU can appoint another surveyor to liase with the first surveyor, at the Developer's expense, plus another Surveyor to oversee the first two surveyors, again at the Developers expense. Having to pay for three surveyors may concentrate the Developer's mind. :twisted:

How deep are the foundations under your garage? I suspect your neighbour will need to dig down one metre. This may have repercussions with your house foundations if it was built a long time ago. Ask to see the insurance of whoever is doing the development. Your neighbour may be working to Permitted Development guidelines, so no PP required, but make sure that Building Control are involved.

John W
jonahinoz

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby SwitchRich » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:09 am

Don't suppose you have any photos you could post here? They do help the forum form an opinion!
SwitchRich

Postby mitzy » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:54 pm

I will try to download some photographs - though technology is not my strong point :)

What I did realise yesterday is that the said garage wall is built out of different brick to the house and neighbours side of party wall. The garage wall is painted so we scraped paint away from different points on wall and bricks are a totally different colour and smooth as opposed to rough - I should have spotted this from day one - can't believe I missed it :oops:

So it looks like my garage wall was built at a later date against the original party wall.

I am now clutching at a lot of straws!!! but would that make the garage wall within my boundary and therefore not classed as a party wall? - or is that too easy!

Regards
mitzy

Postby Collaborate » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:18 am

Sounds quite possible. Photos are easy to upload. click on the upload attachment tab below the reply box (the one that opens up for you to type your message in). Then you simply browse to where your photo is stored and hey presto.
Collaborate

Postby ukmicky » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:59 pm

mitzy wrote:I will try to download some photographs - though technology is not my strong point :)

What I did realise yesterday is that the said garage wall is built out of different brick to the house and neighbours side of party wall. The garage wall is painted so we scraped paint away from different points on wall and bricks are a totally different colour and smooth as opposed to rough - I should have spotted this from day one - can't believe I missed it :oops:

So it looks like my garage wall was built at a later date against the original party wall.

I am now clutching at a lot of straws!!! but would that make the garage wall within my boundary and therefore not classed as a party wall? - or is that too easy!
T
Regards
If it is a separate structure it is then not a a party wall. The different bricks would be a good signal that you are correct . That doesn’t let you off the hook however as they still want to remove the wall that is a party fence wall.
Advice given is not legally qualified and you are advised to gain a professional opinion
ukmicky

Previous

Return to Walls