Is the wall a party wall

Abney

Re: Is the wall a party wall

Post by Abney » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:27 pm

On speaking to my neighbours it doesnt seem like they would ever consider another room as theyve already got a loft conversion. They also dont want me to use the existing wall as they feel it will cause too much desruption and will devalue their house.

Collaborate
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 20

Post by Collaborate » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:26 am

Abney wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:27 pm
On speaking to my neighbours it doesnt seem like they would ever consider another room as theyve already got a loft conversion. They also dont want me to use the existing wall as they feel it will cause too much desruption and will devalue their house.
One of the things about a party wall is that both neighbours may use it.

despair

Post by despair » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:10 pm

If the neighbours dont want to use the wall they should have have ensured it and the guttering etc was all on their side

They made it a party wall so they need to face that issue

ukmicky

Post by ukmicky » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:37 pm

You need a party wall surveyor. He will send all the appropriate notices .

Provided you use the party wall act the law allows you to remove any overhanging eaves , fascia's ,guttering and foundations but you cant leave their property in a worse condition than it was beforehand. .

If it is a partywall you can use it as part of your build but proving its a party wall may not be that easy.
Any information provided is not legal advice and you are advised to gain a professional opinion

Abney

Post by Abney » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:09 am

How can i prove its a party wall? If it was entirely their wall then the foundations, overhang and the wall shouldnt be on our land. I ve read somewhere that a party wall should have no overhang, can anyone confirm this. Thx

arborlad

Post by arborlad » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:12 am

You now need the services of a Party Wall Surveyor, what you've described would make it a party wall but that is not sufficient, you now need someone who can view all the documents, take measurements, including a test pit and make a decision based on all the known facts.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people

Collaborate

Post by Collaborate » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:42 am

Look, the Party Wall Act is engaged anyway, as you want to build so close to the boundary. That means you'd be sensible to engage the services of a PW surveyor, as you'll have to serve a PWA notice in any event. They would be the best person to consult, rather than anonymous people on a message board. They will get to see the deeds and look at the existing structure, and advise accordingly. On here, all we can do is have a guess.

Abney

Post by Abney » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:15 pm

Thanks for your help, i ll get in touch with a party wall surveyor. The strange thing is that all the builders who we ve had over so far arent willing to use the existing wall.