Walls supporting a highway

Cwatters

Walls supporting a highway

Post by Cwatters » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:56 pm

In most cases I believe the owner of a retaining wall supporting a highway is responsible for maintaining it. The highway is said to have a right of support.

Some of these walls were built a long time ago before heavy lorries existed. They were perfectly adequate when built and may have been well maintained, but not strengthened, ever since.

So who pays for repairs if a modern heavy lorry parks near such a wall causing it to collapse? I imagine the owner of the lorry will say they did nothing wrong. The vehicle being road legal and no weight restriction signs posted on the road.

ukmicky
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 20

Re: Walls supporting a highway

Post by ukmicky » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:04 am

In most cases I believe the owner of a retaining wall supporting a highway is responsible for maintaining it.

The highways will have a right of support but that does not automatically mean the wall owner must maintain it.

Generally the owner of the land that benefits from the support maintains the wall , especially with old walls were it can be hard or impossible to determine the history of the wall.
Any information provided is not legal advice and you are advised to gain a professional opinion

Cwatters

Re: Walls supporting a highway

Post by Cwatters » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:25 am

Thanks for that.