Wall fell down after neigbours repair!

Tryweryn

Wall fell down after neigbours repair!

Post by Tryweryn » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:23 pm

Hi and many thanks for letting me join.
We have an old dry stone wall between myself and the ppl next door. During the winds last winter the neighbours tree fell and smashed a wall, crushing all my bushes. He cut the tree up and being a stone waller built the wall himself, doing a very shabby job. Last week the whole section he repaired just collapsed, once again crushing my plants. I have not touched it as yet.
I do not know the legal owner of the wall as the neighbour is a recluse. Where do I stand? Is he obliged to fix it, or me. When he repaired it I was not notified that he was repairing it or when.
Any help would be welcome?
Regards,
David

ukmicky
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 20

Re: Wall fell down after neigbours repair!

Post by ukmicky » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:32 pm

Does the neighbour,the recluse own the wall or is it shared .
Any information provided is not legal advice and you are advised to gain a professional opinion

Tryweryn

Post by Tryweryn » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:27 pm

Hi...I assume its shared...not on my deeds.

mr sheen

Post by mr sheen » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:50 pm

It was good of the neighbour to repair the wall after the tree fell down. He fulfilled his duty by repairing it since an old wall that has not been maintained could have fallen down at any time. It is unlikley that you will be able to force him to repair it again. He may choose to repair it.

With very old features it is difficult to determine ownership.

You could get a professional dry stone Waller in to repair it so that for the future you are confident a good job has been made of it. If you choose to do this it will be at your cost.

With very old features that have not been well maintained one assumes a risk putting things next to them. If you want to ensure the wall is in good repair then a professional would need to assess it - perhaps ask the same company to do a full condition report so that you can assess whether to continue to plant near it or have the whole wall redone to protect your plants. Whatever you choose will be at your cost.

Tryweryn

Post by Tryweryn » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:22 pm

Seems unfair if the workmanship only lasted a few months. But law is law. I wonder if I can just not repair it and remove the stone or is that in some way stealing. Maybe best just to pay a few hundred pounds and get it done. Sometimes life is to short to fluff around.

Tryweryn

Post by Tryweryn » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:23 pm

But many thanks for the advice.