Retaining wall replacement is an eyesore.

Post Reply
MacadamB53
Posts: 6874
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:13 pm
Number of Posts per Page: 100
Number of topics per page: 50

Re: Retaining wall replacement is an eyesore.

Post by MacadamB53 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:13 pm

Hi Viola,

the CC Buildings Control Surveyor expressed his doubts about such an intended method of fencepost fixings

after speaking to who?

kind regards, Mac

arborlad
Posts: 8597
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:30 pm
Location: Hertfordshire

Re: Retaining wall replacement is an eyesore.

Post by arborlad » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:09 am

Viola wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:05 pm

Today the fence puter-upper was on the scene, along with a big truck to offload a big pile of wood for posts and fence.
I wanted confirmation of their fence fixing plan so went outside to talk with the guy, he explained the 8' posts are to be fixed to the gabion sides using 3' of the post length metal bracketed [somehow or other?] onto the outside of the gabion wire, which would leave 5' of post above.


A photo of the post and any fixings in situ, may help.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people

Viola
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:53 pm

Re: Retaining wall replacement is an eyesore.

Post by Viola » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:25 pm

arborlad wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:09 am
A photo of the post and any fixings in situ, may help.
Taken a couple of days ago:

Image

Image

Image

Image

It all looks different again now, being fenced out with 6 foot planks; the bottom of which overlap down over the top of the gabion wall about a foot or so.
Whether those fixings on the gabion wire are good enough to keep the fence up safely over the long term, or if any other regulatory matter has been infringed will be a matter of the council surveyor to decide. That pagoda thing that extends out from the house is way over 2m high from the wall top level.

mugwump
Posts: 560
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:34 pm

Re: Retaining wall replacement is an eyesore.

Post by mugwump » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:47 pm

This appears to have turned into a vendetta

Viola
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:53 pm

Re: Retaining wall replacement is an eyesore.

Post by Viola » Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:13 pm

mugwump wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:47 pm
This appears to have turned into a vendetta
If so the only reason i could think they'd have such a fuelled vendetta grievance, is because i complained about their previous retaining wall, of which the council deemed dangerous and gave them 3 weeks to make safe...

The oddity here is they had the option, for the same costs, have built a really nice gabion wall with a fence on top, all perfectly safe and aesthetically pleasing to look at.
But they chose to build this potentially dangerous monstrosity instead.

despair
Posts: 16452
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:07 am

Re: Retaining wall replacement is an eyesore.

Post by despair » Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:04 pm

Geeez ...you really do have the worst kind of nightmare neighbour .....monstrosity is polite words for that mess ..

despair
Posts: 16452
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:07 am

Re: Retaining wall replacement is an eyesore.

Post by despair » Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:08 pm

I wonder how they intend retaining any soil on top of those gabions because fencing will simply rot at the base

Where is the true boundary on all that structure ....because leylandi would seem to be only sensible thing to now plant in front of it much though i hate the thugs

Viola
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:53 pm

Re: Retaining wall replacement is an eyesore.

Post by Viola » Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:40 pm

Image

Image

mugwump
Posts: 560
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:34 pm

Re: Retaining wall replacement is an eyesore.

Post by mugwump » Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:26 pm

despair wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:08 pm
I wonder how they intend retaining any soil on top of those gabions because fencing will simply rot at the base

Where is the true boundary on all that structure ....because leylandi would seem to be only sensible thing to now plant in front of it much though i hate the thugs
Assuming the boundary was a straight line from their building then it is all within their boundary with about a foot to spare.

Unless the leylandii were planted on their land then they would end up filling the gap.

Viola
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:53 pm

Re: Retaining wall replacement is an eyesore.

Post by Viola » Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:24 pm

despair wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:08 pm
I wonder how they intend retaining any soil on top of those gabions because fencing will simply rot at the base

Where is the true boundary on all that structure ....because leylandi would seem to be only sensible thing to now plant in front of it much though i hate the thugs
It would be very inappropriate to plant out Leylandi. This is a residential area with small gardens.

The structure of gabions and fence is entirely on their side of the boundary. This is not, and never has been, a boundary dispute.

The issue is primarily one of safety; being as the whole weight of the fence is held on by what looks like bits of Meccano metal wrapped around 4.5mm galvanised wire, this is not what the gabion wire is designed for. The gabion wire is designed to hold in the stone, and last up to 100 years doing so.
This fence will move in strong breeze, and the flexing of the gabion wires will persist until the 4.5mm galvanised wires fail.

Apparently there will be some effort of additional support behind each post, some kind of weighted plant box made of wood i was told by the guy putting up the fence.

But whatever is yet to be done behind those planks is now completely hidden from my view or knowing.

I have requested a site visit and safety check survey of this dubious structure to the Building Control Surveyor of this county council.

despair
Posts: 16452
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:07 am

Re: Retaining wall replacement is an eyesore.

Post by despair » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:30 pm

Well those angled timbers are another uneven eyesore too ...wonder what purpose they are designed for ?

But irrespective sooner or later the bottom of the fencing will rot and stuff will fall through and like you say the wind will put extreme stress on metal bands that are secured to gabion wires not designed to take that stress

I feel for you looking at the gabions they are an ugly eyesore

stufe35
Posts: 908
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:06 pm

Re: Retaining wall replacement is an eyesore.

Post by stufe35 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:16 pm

Unsure how you tackle questioning the design.

I have been told in another thread that you can build any old structure in your garden and are not responsible if it blows down and kills someone...i remain unconvinced however.

I believe in this instance because the client is domestic under the Cdm (construction design and management) regulations the contractor engaged to build the fence is considered the designer. Whether they could get design calcs to demonstrate the fence stands up I am unsure , especially with the hacking they've done on the posts. How you would put pressure to do these calcs I'm unsure. And you might then end up with something even worse.

Obvious options if you don't like the gabions are to erect your own fence on you own land to hide them, or plant a hedge.

One question , does a structure that height need planning permission ? But even if it does and they haven't got it, I'm not sure how this would help you.

stufe35
Posts: 908
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:06 pm

Re: Retaining wall replacement is an eyesore.

Post by stufe35 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:37 pm

Here is a link to the relevant cdm regs https://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg411.htm

mr sheen
Posts: 2614
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:33 pm

Re: Retaining wall replacement is an eyesore.

Post by mr sheen » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:06 pm

HSE will not be involved in this, they are too busy with the construction industry building roads, bridges, tower blocks etc.

This is a domestic structure built entirely on land owned by the property owner. The fencer has no obligation to give information to a neighbour and even if you could argue that CDM regs apply (which is doubtful) what does that have to do with anyone other than the Principal Contractor, Designer and Client?

If you are concerned about the safety of a structure you can put the owner ‘on notice’ of your concerns, backed up by a structural engineer report unless you are an engineer/expert, so that if anything untoward happens then you have a chance at showing foreseeability in order to pursue a claim for damages.

If you don’t like a structure on neighbouring land, then you can build something on your own land to obscure it.

stufe35
Posts: 908
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:06 pm

Re: Retaining wall replacement is an eyesore.

Post by stufe35 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:27 pm

I am intrigued to understand why you believe the cdm regs would not apply to this construction project.?

My understanding (given that they do apply) is they give clear lines of responsibility to ensure any structures are designed and installed by competent people to recognised standards.

I would love to meet the competent designer who would put their name to that installation.

Post Reply