Retaining wall replacement is an eyesore.

Viola

Re: Retaining wall replacement is an eyesore.

Post by Viola » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:33 pm

despair wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:53 pm
Surorised they fid not include the line " we are very stretched right now due to Covid 19 " thst has become the excuse everywhere sadly IMHE
I'm not sure they are stretched tho'.
There are many building developments postponed...
I think it's just a reluctance to visit places and meet people, which maybe understandable under the circumstance.

A friend of mine is a self-employed ground-worker, he's just been laid-off on quite a few jobs due to worry of spreading Corvid-19
He's the sort that likes to keep busy, lives on his own, and no work = no pay.
We are making plans for him to do an outdoor building job in my garden,
It's dependent on the builders yard being open and delivering some bricks, sand, and cement.
apparently this is okay to do if he's on his own, and we get out our tape measures to keep 2 meters apart. :lol:

mugwump

Post by mugwump » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:31 pm

Councils have started furloughing staff who are not required for essential services.

I somehow don't think planning or building control can, in any way, shape or form, be considered essential

Viola

Post by Viola » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:36 pm

mugwump wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:31 pm
Councils have started furloughing staff who are not required for essential services.

I somehow don't think planning or building control can, in any way, shape or form, be considered essential
Except for dangerous structures or constructions that need professional surveying for making-safe enforcement.

Viola

Post by Viola » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:26 pm

Viola wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:53 pm
Update:

A letter from the Council Planning Department:

Thank you for your complaint regarding the [ neighbouring fence ] site, which was received in this office on 20.03.2020.

I am in the progress of investigating your concerns and will inform you of the outcome in due course.
In the meantime, if you have any queries or would like an update on the progress, please feel free to contact me on the above details.

Yours faithfully

Planning
Follow-up emails from the Planning Department remain inconclusive but expresses much sympathetic doubt as to anything they can shake a stick at in violation of planning regs.
(However, it does state than the Buildings Control is still interested in another site-visit to clarify and check the fence structure and it's dodgy fixings.)

Another email from Planning arrived to ask about the neighbours side pergola and fence structure. Although this is not something currently on my objection radar, to help out my local council in these social distancing times, i sent a couple of photos of the neighbours side wooden structure and pergola. I explained they erected this weird contraption about 10 years ago.

The reply was very interesting, it definitely does not meet with the criteria of pergola or fence building for the side - front aspect of property!
But went on to say that due to it being there over four years - it now has immunity from council enforcement!
Ten years ago the people who lived across the road from it really hated the thing! [ the new folk there probably do too! ] if only they knew a complaint notification to the council would of had the eyesore removed!

So the planning official is more interested in the side-front aspect of neighbours property instead of my concerns to the rear of there property that borders the side of mine. I get the usually impression they are very fussy over what they can see from the public road side, but in-between private gardens all manor of ridiculous extravaganza is perfectly acceptable.

<>

Some more history:

About ten years agoi worked the night-shift so needed to sleep during the daytime. One day i was kept awake by the sound of an excavator digging a trench up between neighbours land and public road, this easily seen and not far away from my bedroom window. So unable to sleep in the noise i changed bedrooms to back of house, but before doing so i got dressed, when outside to find out what they were doing and how long the noise go on for. Although i was very polite and friendly i was met with hostility from the neighbours, they had a none of your business kind of approach. But i found out they were intending to build a retaining wall bang up again the kerb of the public road which is (normally) a quiet cul-de-sac.

To be helpful to my neighbour i asked if they had planning permission to do this, and was given a tirade of verbal: "It's my property i can do want i what...." etc.
I also asked Mr Neighbour if he intended to replace the leaning and dangerous retaining wall that bordered our gardens, and he replied that [in his opinion] there was noting wrong with the wall so no it stays. When i asked him to view his wall he declined the invitation, and said if it was faulty then the cause is due my gate post.. which in all honesty is a nutty fruitcake thing to suppose!

So with his total refusal to accept anything wrong with his wall, and his ongoing development to extend his side-garden high level with a new retaining wall bang up against a public road, i explained to him i have no objection to him extending his high level sideways towards the road if that's what he wants, but the council may object, and they may force you to take it all back down again. Wow he was mad after that, i thought he was going to thump me at one stage.

Anyway, i asked the council to check it out, and after a week or so, Mr Neighbour had the new foundation trench re-filled, and abandoned this rather stupid project.
Although i'd actually done him a big favour, saved him thousands of pounds in wasted money building a new wall that would surely of been condemned by Planning, Mr Neighbour maintained a grudge. What a strange fellow, this is the thanks i get for being a good kindly neighbour
:wink:

despair

Post by despair » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:00 pm

Given you have such a delightful neighbour i still suggest you plant some leylandi or any other thug of a plant that will grow and obscure that monstroscity and sell up quick to a bigger bully than your neighbour

MacadamB53
Number of Posts per Page: 100
Number of topics per page: 50

Post by MacadamB53 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:54 pm

Hi Viola,

if only they knew a complaint notification to the council would of had the eyesore removed

you can not know what action the LPA would’ve taken - them being aware of a planning breach doesn’t not necessarily lead to the outcome you’ve assumed.

kind regards, Mac

Viola

Post by Viola » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:39 pm

MacadamB53 wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:54 pm
Hi Viola,

if only they knew a complaint notification to the council would of had the eyesore removed

you can not know what action the LPA would’ve taken - them being aware of a planning breach doesn’t not necessarily lead to the outcome you’ve assumed.

kind regards, Mac
I didn't assume it, was told so by the Council Planning Official who looked at the photo i sent her just the other day :D

MacadamB53
Number of Posts per Page: 100
Number of topics per page: 50

Post by MacadamB53 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:18 am

Viola wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:39 pm
MacadamB53 wrote:
Hi Viola,

kind regards, Mac
I didn't assume it, was told so by the Council Planning Official who looked at the photo i sent her just the other day :D
that wasn’t very professional of them

mr sheen

Post by mr sheen » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:19 am

Viola wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:39 pm
MacadamB53 wrote:
Hi Viola,

kind regards, Mac
They were placating you.....to get a structure removed via enforcement is extremely costly, time consuming and staff intensive so unless it is in the general public interest and worth tax payers money being thrown in bucket loads at it what usually happens is retrospective planning is granted.

At some point you will have to accept that the Council are highly unlikely to get that wall-type structure removed. Even if they don’t like parts of the building techniques used they will just recommend improvements and the owners will probably do the minimum to meet the demands.....but outcome....wall remains.

Viola

Post by Viola » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:06 pm

mr sheen wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:19 am

They were placating you.....to get a structure removed via enforcement is extremely costly, time consuming and staff intensive so unless it is in the general public interest and worth tax payers money being thrown in bucket loads at it what usually happens is retrospective planning is granted.
That issue ^ is relating the history to the side-front aspect of the neighbours fence/pergola that they built over ten years ago.
It doesn't border my property, and i didn't object or complain about it at the time, nor did anyone else, despite the wooden construction looking out of character and rather fugly.

But the point is; just last week the council Planning official didn't like what he saw on the photos and wanted to come out to look at it but then realised they are too late because of timed-out [ over four years ] immunity of any enforcement.
TBH it's just as well, this isn't an issue that concerns me. Fair do's to the neighbours, they got away with that one.
At some point you will have to accept that the Council are highly unlikely to get that wall-type structure removed. Even if they don’t like parts of the building techniques used they will just recommend improvements and the owners will probably do the minimum to meet the demands.....but outcome....wall remains.
The dispute has already moved on from the wall, it's about the huge fence and if it's securely and safely fixed in their odd way to the gabions.
The update is;
The Buildings Control Surveyor referred the case to the Planning Dept.
The Planning Dept is sympathetic but say from the photos show the size of fence and its visible structures do not obviously violate regulations, however it needs checking for fixings due to safety concerns.
Planning Dept referred the case back to Buildings Control.
Buildings Control delayed due to the Coronavirus crisis. The surveyor wants to visit here when he can.