Barking Dogs

This forum is for serious issues involving animals
Collaborate
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 20

Re: Barking Dogs

Post by Collaborate » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:52 pm

Natural conditions for man, by that very definition, involve living in a cave.

Morgan Sweet

Post by Morgan Sweet » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:03 pm

Collaborate wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:52 pm
Natural conditions for man, by that very definition, involve living in a cave.
I can understand that may be the case for you but some of us have evolved. :D

liveinpeace
Number of Posts per Page: 10
Number of topics per page: 10

Post by liveinpeace » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:53 pm

oh meow morgan sweet!
I have a snoring lurcher here who swears his natural condition is a bean bag in front of a log burner.

Morgan Sweet

Post by Morgan Sweet » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:18 pm

liveinpeace wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:53 pm
oh meow morgan sweet!
I have a snoring lurcher here who swears his natural condition is a bean bag in front of a log burner.
Yes, and that proves that you also have an anthropomorphic tendency. :wink:

IdefixUK
Number of topics per page: 25

Post by IdefixUK » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:20 pm

Morgan Sweet wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:38 am
No dog was bred to be locked up in a house for hours.
Except perhaps Locker Spaniels :D

MacadamB53
Number of Posts per Page: 100
Number of topics per page: 50

Post by MacadamB53 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:52 am

Morgan Sweet wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:38 am
MacadamB53 wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:03 am
Hi Morgan Sweet,

just too many dogs in this country kept in such unnatural conditions

what are the natural conditions for a dog?

kind regards, Mac
The natural conditions to keep a dog in are for them to use their instincts that were selectively developed by breeding. No dog was bred to be locked up in a house for hours.
breeders didn’t selectively develop their dogs’ instincts - instincts are instincts - but I get what you mean. thanks

guess that means most dog owners are falling way short of providing their dog with the ‘natural’ conditions it would really thrive in?

liveinpeace

Post by liveinpeace » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:25 am

I've just been chatting to said lurcher and he says he doesn't think i'm anthropomorphic at all!!

most lurchers are chosen as a mixture of breeds with desirable traits and instincts that are inherent in the breed. thats why he never barks sleeps all day and has furnished me with a freezer full of rabbits. I do think if you cant offer your dogs the stimulation and companionship they often desire in equal measures, it is often a good idea not to choose to be a dog owner.
sadly our debate doesn't really help sprocker.

I had a neighbour with a permanently howling spaniel some years ago,and working funny hours I ended up absolutely shattered, I tried ear plugs sleeping in the back room to no avail.I wasn't being awkward or trying to find a problem. luckily after me mentioning it we came to the happy compromise that when i was in, i had a key and got the dog and it spent its time happily contented with the company it craved,often fast asleep or bombing round my garden. I ended up moving a year or so later. I bumped into the people who bought the house and they had a right go at me saying they were having an absolute nightmare with the neighbours dog. I said sorry and sculked off.
so the point being I do have every sympathy with you sprocker

Morgan Sweet

Post by Morgan Sweet » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:54 am

I agree with Mac regarding modern dog ownership and I also agree with liveinpeace regarding the Lurcher. I also have the utmost sympathy with sproker, a dog barking is one of the most stressful sounds to us humans on this planet. Why do people buy breeds of dogs that have a working ancestry and keep them shut up as pets I will never fathom out. If anyone wants an easy dog requiring just a daily walk of a couple of miles then adopt a retired greyhound (or lurcher or any gazehound). I do not own a dog now but have owned and trained them for decades and I can't stand a barking dog. In fact I had to get up three times last night to silence a Collie that I am presently training but he was barking at a fox not out of boredom.

sprocker1

Post by sprocker1 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:46 am

Hello

Well something has happened, I am at home and there is not a peep, the neighbours are out.

If the neighbours have done something to prevent the constant barking, then I am very grateful, it is just a pitty that they let it get this far.

I absolutely agree that dogs should not be left on their own for long periods, except for when an emergency arises. The neighbours dogs are left on average 8 hours a day, and when the recent incident had occurred they had been left in excess of 14 hours, I guess that they were thinking that as long as someone went in to feed and let them out it was ok, I believe that they had the intention of leaving them until the morning. Which is why the son was not happy when he was summoned back to the house.

Hopefully this is the end of the matter, or until at least until the Citrus spray in the anti bark colours runs out? (This is what they told me they used last time, that it had run out, and apologised)

My point all along was that They knew there was a problem, cured it, and then let it start again, but this time did nothing to alleviate the situation.

This is day one of being home for six weeks, long may it continue, and by that I don't expect to hear nothing, just not constant barking and howling for hours and hours at a time with absolutley no break.
Sprocker

sprocker1

Post by sprocker1 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:01 am

And they are off again!

It's just shy of 11am and the dogs have been barking constantly since 09.15am, I have finally started the Environmental Health Diary. I actually saw the neighbour yesterday, well I say saw, he did everything to avoid us. Not a problem for us. But I do think that it is a case of "If I bury my head in the sand it will all go away" Well I am afraid not.

I will let those who are interested know how we get on in the coming weeks...…...
Sprocker

liveinpeace

Post by liveinpeace » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:30 pm

sorry to hear its started again and your not able to recuperate in peace, it does seem that there is some thing they can do to stop it (as you have said they managed to do so before) but rt seems they have chosen to allow them to bark,so it is strange why they seem to want to cause a problem between yourselves.

try your best to not let it stress you too much hopefully you will be able get some help when you have kept a diary. have you managed to record it on your phone or anything. I do feel sorry for you and the dogs.

sprocker1

Post by sprocker1 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:49 pm

So they barked from 0915 until 1130, this was none stop Howling and barking, until he came in from work, I am guessing the neighbour is working shifts, he has been in all day today so not a peep.

I did manage to record the noise on my phone, when all this started again, and sent it to the neighbour!, it was ignored. I feel that we have been really fair, we have approached them, send them evidence and given them every opportunity to sort the issue, but nothing.

If the boot was on the other foot I would be very worried that the noise had been picked up on a basic Samsung mobile phone, if we get as far as environmental health installing noise monitoring equipment, then I think they will be in real trouble!
Sprocker