Badgers

This forum is for serious issues involving animals
happygo111

Badgers

Post by happygo111 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:44 pm

We have a gang of badgers in our garden, and have seen them and caught them on camera a few times.
Our neighbors wants us to build a retaining wall, but this would be where we strongly suspect the badgers are living.
Does anyone have experience of dealing with this issue?
I think there are laws protecting badgers and their habitats, I would rather not get council involved but don't want to break the law and dig up a badgers home - especially as I think the retaining wall is unnessecery and fence repair would do the same job and leave the badgers alone.

mugwump

Re: Badgers

Post by mugwump » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:00 pm

In England and Wales the Protection of Badgers Act 1992 http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1992/51/contents

In Scotland the Protection of Badgers Act https://www.scottishbadgers.org.uk/user ... TENDED.pdf

Collaborate
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 20

Post by Collaborate » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:37 pm

happygo111 wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:44 pm
We have a gang of badgers in our garden, and have seen them and caught them on camera a few times.
Our neighbors wants us to build a retaining wall, but this would be where we strongly suspect the badgers are living.
Does anyone have experience of dealing with this issue?
I think there are laws protecting badgers and their habitats, I would rather not get council involved but don't want to break the law and dig up a badgers home - especially as I think the retaining wall is unnessecery and fence repair would do the same job and leave the badgers alone.
Is this wall supposed to retain your garden or theirs?

Also, why are the gardens not level with each other? Who altered the lie of the land to create the need to retain?

happygo111

Post by happygo111 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:47 pm

its retaining back our land, our site is naturally at a higher level then their garden by probably 30 or 40cm.

Our garden is very sloped but we have decking area to level it - we are very sure badger sett is under the decking area.

A fence holds back our raised garden from theirs, with no issue, but the badgers have been burrowing near to fence and have damaged it.

ukmicky
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 20

Post by ukmicky » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:56 pm

I live in London and have badgers coming into my garden but the sett and the nearest hole is probably about 200 meters away . Are there any entrance holes nearby there should be and you can’t miss them as they are constantly remodelling there passageways under ground and creating new entrances so there will always be fresh mud outside . A sett can have as much 300 meters of tunnels under ground with 40 to 50 Hole some o& which may be solely for air flow.

They also can create havoc In a garden with there digging for food.

Badgers have there very own act of Parliament and are protected by law . it’s a criminal offence to interfere with a sett without a licence. You will have a local badger group , do a google search . Contact them and they will arrange a badger survey and if need be prevent any works that may interfere with the sett if it is where you think it is
Any information provided is not legal advice and you are advised to gain a professional opinion