My dog went into my neighbours garden

This forum is for serious issues involving animals
Aziraphale

My dog went into my neighbours garden

Post by Aziraphale »

Hi all just a quick question that I’d like advice on so I can nip it in the bud before it becomes a bigger problem.

For the first time ever my dog who isn’t aggressive got out from my rear garden into my neighbours rear garden. It looks like a few pallets were disturbed presuming by my dog to make a ladder for her to walk up and scale a 6 foot fence - she’s a lab sized dog so we are shocked if this is the way she got out as she doesn’t normally climb but it’s the only logical solution without suspecting foul play from another party.

We have a boundary dispute with the housing authority who own the neighbouring property, due to a fence at the front of the property being moved by the tenants, so we have a history, as they are being forced to put right the works they have done currently, as it trespasses on an agreed access way. So as you can image they are not pleased with me (I own my home).

Due to this I have cameras up but don’t have any that monitor or encroach on their back gate but it does cover the gap between the two houses and my back gate. I saw my dog on the camera walking by herself between the two houses off to the road, so she could only have come from my back gate or my neighbours.

We have a collar and tag on her so she was quickly picked up and reported to us, and has now returned to us. I’ve checked my back gate on the camera and she does not walk out of it, so she must have been let out of the back gate of my neighbours to roam without them trying to return her to us, or knocking on our door to tell us what’s happened (incase she bolted when they opened their back gate and it was an accident).

Firstly I’ve removed the pallet ladder to make the garden secure again, and highly doubt our dog would bite our neighbour, she licks everything and at worst would jump up a person, however seeing as this is a first time occurrence, and presuming no aggression or physical harm was shown by my dog, could my neighbour, use this for a complaint?

Secondly, due to my dog being property and they have not tried to return or notify me of what’s happened and effectively turned her loose, can this reflect negatively on them as they would know the dog to be mine and should it be reported or logged with their housing authority or the police?
MacadamB53
Number of Posts per Page: 100
Number of topics per page: 50

Re: My dog went into my neighbours garden

Post by MacadamB53 »

Hi Aziraphale,

could my neighbour, use this for a complaint?

to who?

due to my dog being property and they have not tried to return or notify me of what’s happened and effectively turned her loose, can this reflect negatively on them as they would know the dog to be mine

reflect negatively to who?

should it be reported or logged with their housing authority or the police?

nope.

kind regards, Mac
stufe35

Post by stufe35 »

Your neighbours are under no obligation to keep their gate shut, or have a dog proof fence. Once it escaped over your pallets it did not become their responsibility and they may not have even seen it. You have little to worry about a one off escape of your dog, where no harm is caused to a third party, despite your failings in allowing it to happen.
Aziraphale

Post by Aziraphale »

stufe35 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:17 pm Your neighbours are under no obligation to keep their gate shut, or have a dog proof fence. Once it escaped over your pallets it did not become their responsibility and they may not have even seen it. You have little to worry about a one off escape of your dog, where no harm is caused to a third party, despite your failings in allowing it to happen.
Hi their gate is always shut, so they would have had to have opened it to let her out as it’s a 6 foot gate that opens into their boundary so could not have been pushed open from the inside, would that make a difference?
stufe35

Post by stufe35 »

Why is there a gate if it always shut ? In which case surely it would be a fence. It must be opened sometimes to allow people in and out ?

Would it make a difference to what ?

As i see it your dog escaped somehow, even you are not exactly sure how, this was no ones fault except your own (as dog owners are required to keep their dogs under control). You have got the dog back and no harm came to anyone so its extremely unlikely any action can or will be taken against you......this happens all over the country everyday of the week (ie dog owners allowing there dogs to escape, they get them back and nothing comes of it)...stop fretting about it. You have identified where you think the escape occurred and rectified it. There is nothing more to be done.

By example our neighbours (from some 2 fields away) dogs escaped , they came to our house and killed all our hens. I caught the dogs but didnt know whos they were. I made enquiries with local neighbours that i knew but no one knew whos they were. I reported to the police that i had the dogs..they soon tied it to a missing dog report and said neighbours came around collected dogs and offerred to pay for dead hens. We were upset at the time, but all was good we bought some more hens and no action was taken against them...their dogs still escape from time to time as i see it plastered all over face book now i know them (all they get is sympathy 'oh dear i hope you get your dogs back poor thing'. i feel like posting they are irresponsible dog owners who repeatedly fail to keep their dogs under control..not poor things)...luckily they havent come in our direction again yet and that was about 3 years ago.

Your neighbours may or may not have seen your dog in their property, it may or may not have even been on their property , they may or may not have allowed it to escape further or it might have been the postman or some other visitor innocently opening their or perhaps your gate. Its trivial and not worth worrying about..nothing more can reasonably be done.

This event is completely separate and unrelated to other disputes you might have going on...except of course if you were on friendly terms and IF they had discovered your dog in their garden they would have probably have let you know. As it happens they didnt, (and im not sure that there is any law that would require them to other than being neighbourly), perhaps they didnt even see it. we could go on guessing but whats the point.
Last edited by stufe35 on Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
arborlad

Post by arborlad »

stufe35 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:36 am Why is there a gate if it always shut ? In which case surely it would be a fence. It must be opened sometimes to allow people in and out ?

Would it make a difference to what ?

As i see it your dog escaped somehow, even you are not exactly sure how, this was no ones fault except your own (as dog owners are required to keep their dogs under control). You have got the dog back and no harm came to anyone so its extremely unlikely any action can or will be taken against you......this happens all over the country everyday of the week (ie dog owners allowing there dogs to escape, they get them back and nothing comes of it)...stop fretting about it. You have identified where you think the escape occurred and rectified it. There is nothing more to be done.

Your neighbours may or may not have seen your dog in their property, it may or may not have even been on their property , they may or may not have allowed it to escape further or it might have been the postman or some other visitor innocently opening their or perhaps your gate. Its trivial and not worth worrying about..nothing more can reasonably be done.

This event is completely separate and unrelated to other disputes you might have going on...except of course if you were on friendly terms and IF they had discovered your dog in their garden they would have probably have let you know. As it happens they didnt, (and im not sure that there is any law that would require them to other than being neighbourly), perhaps they didnt even see it. we could go on guessing but whats the point.

+1
arborlad

smile...it confuses people