Noisey cat deterrent

This forum is for serious issues involving animals
elviskadawson

Noisey cat deterrent

Post by elviskadawson » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:20 am

My neighbour has a motion sensitive cat/fox deterrent device that is supposed to be inaudible to humans.

However, it seems to come on for approx 30 seconds whenever the wind blows or a bird passes. It's approx 10 foot from my garden and very loud and annoying. It can be heard from approx 50m away.

I have asked the neighbour to turn it off a number of times, but the always turn it back on a few days later. They say it's to stop cats deficating in thier garden - fair engough, but not at the annoyance of everyone else.

Other neighbours report that they can also hear it.

Can anyone advise to my rights and the best approach to fix the situation.

Thanks.

Guppy.

Mattylad
Number of Posts per Page: 50
Number of topics per page: 50

Post by Mattylad » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:11 pm

It is supposed to be ultrasonic, it is faulty.
IF they refuse to turn it off or fix it report them to your local council.
Any comments I give here are my own opinions, for legal advise check with a qualified solicitor.

appledore

Post by appledore » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:45 pm

It usually means it needs new batteries when it makes a noise like that.
Keep calm and carry on.

Trog

Post by Trog » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:22 pm

If you and your neighbours stopped any cats you had from crapping in his garden he would not need it.
Cats they crap on your drive, on your lawn and in your flower beds, they are vermin.

SCD4

Post by SCD4 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:24 pm

If you and your neighbours stopped any cats you had from crapping in his garden he would not need it.

Very hard to train a cat like that.

I use to use one of them infa red units linked to a hose pipe.

Trog

Post by Trog » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:47 pm

SCD4 wrote:

No its not, you just put a suitable fence round your garden, or don't let the thing out of the house.
Cats they crap on your drive, on your lawn and in your flower beds, they are vermin.

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG
Number of Posts per Page: 5
Number of topics per page: 15

Post by WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:26 pm

Trog wrote:
SCD4 wrote:

No its not, you just put a suitable fence round your garden, or don't let the thing out of the house.
What fence keeps a cat in? :?

SCD4

Post by SCD4 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:19 pm

Oh yes it is. Cats are under no law like dogs, go phone the council or Police if you see the need.

They are more free spirited than dogs and harder to control so you will I am afraid have to learn to live with it or buy yourself a big fence. BnQ are doing a great deal at the moment. :wink:

Trog

Post by Trog » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:25 am

SCD4 wrote:

Oh yes it is. Cats are under no law like dogs, go phone the council or Police if you see the need.

They are more free spirited than dogs and harder to control so you will I am afraid have to learn to live with it or buy yourself a big fence. BnQ are doing a great deal at the moment. :wink:
Typical cat owner response, can not be bothered to keep their animal under control, and tough luck to the neighbours who have to put up with the damage and mess they create. They also seem to feel that it is the victim neighbours job to pay for any control of their animals.

The only thing more selfish than a cat, is a cat owner.

hippygirl

Post by hippygirl » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:47 am

If you stopped any cats you had from crapping in his garden
Come on Sherlock, tell us how you got the above information from the OPs question :?

SCD4

Post by SCD4 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:33 pm

Typical cat owner response,

Wrong again. :lol: I don't have a cat. :wink:

But I understand animals and how hard it would be for my neighbour to control her cat. The lady even has a litter tray in the garden, as I have already said they are too free spirited.

Now about BnQ, have you phoned them yet. :P

Trog

Post by Trog » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:07 pm

hippygirl wrote:
If you stopped any cats you had from crapping in his garden
Come on Sherlock, tell us how you got the above information from the OPs question :?

I did not say that, you have edited my quote to make it specific to the original poster, where I referred to the local cats generally.

As for Sherlock I would suggest that the existence of the device rather suggests the existence of the deterees.

hippygirl

Post by hippygirl » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:30 pm

If you and your neighbours stopped any cats you had from crapping in his garden
Specific enough? :wink:

tarren
Number of Posts per Page: 100

Post by tarren » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:32 am

What responsible and considerate cat owners get up to,

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/sho ... l?t=523627

hippygirl

Post by hippygirl » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:54 am

As shown on this forum on numerous occasions, the argument for/against owning cats is never ending. However, hijacking the topic to rail against cat owners doesn't answer the OPs question!
elviskadawson...as has been suggested perhaps you and the other neighbours could speak to the owner of the deterrant and explain the problem. If that doesn't work you could try your council, however they may not be interested. Good luck.