anybody there who actually likes cats and hates prikka??

This forum is for serious issues involving animals
appledore

Post by appledore » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:16 pm

Yes, I've signed the petition. Many thanks RDW for bringing it to my attention.
Keep calm and carry on.

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG
Number of Posts per Page: 5
Number of topics per page: 15

Post by WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:17 pm

Looks like 'cat' haters sign the petition too! I do hope their signature still counts, perhaps trolling works in favour for what they are against at times. :lol:

DRZ400

Post by DRZ400 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:33 pm

Signed. 8)

madmoggy

Post by madmoggy » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:34 pm

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:Looks like 'cat' haters sign the petition too! I do hope their signature still counts, perhaps trolling works in favour for what they are against at times. :lol:
...they may have done some good, in spite of themselves!

Stoday

Post by Stoday » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:41 am

Who said there's no such thing as a free lunch? Ha! Ha!

Whilst I'm sorry that little Wilbur should have met his demise as a python's lunch, I think that legislation for such a rare, if not unique event is going too far. There must be many more examples of cats being killed as a consequence of wandering into a dog's territory, although these would not be newsworthy because they can be expected so frequently. No one is suggesting that dogs should be included in a Dangerous Animal Act or that they should again need a licence.

Janner 007

Post by Janner 007 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:15 am

Stoday wrote:No one is suggesting that dogs should be included in a Dangerous Animal Act
Like the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991? :roll:

appledore

Post by appledore » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:20 pm

Stoday wrote:Who said there's no such thing as a free lunch? Ha! Ha!

Whilst I'm sorry that little Wilbur should have met his demise as a python's lunch, I think that legislation for such a rare, if not unique event is going too far. There must be many more examples of cats being killed as a consequence of wandering into a dog's territory, although these would not be newsworthy because they can be expected so frequently. No one is suggesting that dogs should be included in a Dangerous Animal Act or that they should again need a licence.
It isn't just about Wilbur though is it? The petition is to ask the PM to revise the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976 to include pythons, boa constrictors and any non venomous but lethal snakes. It wouldn't be necessary if idiots didn't keep them as pets. It could have been a child that was killed.
Keep calm and carry on.

victor508

Post by victor508 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:43 pm

DRZ400 wrote:
A loose python is VERY different to a cat.

If a python can kill a cat, it will EASILY kill a child.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/ ... _stra.html

And has many times! Quite so funny now?
According to this website from drz400 a child has allready been killed in the US

DRZ400

Post by DRZ400 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:52 pm

Pythons kills hundreds of people each year.

The one that killed the cat was 13 feet long, this 10 foot Burmese Python killed a 29 year old lady and is capable of killing a man!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7582702.stm

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Post by WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:51 am

If a child was killed by that python the list of names on that petition would be into the tens of thousands by now. People cannot seem to see the bigger picture, they see 'cat' and laugh.

Those who laugh about it being a cat and think 'so what?' would be signing the petition if it was a human being that had been killed, especially a family member.

Stoday

Post by Stoday » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:33 pm

You can download the reasons for everyone's death in England & Wales each year. Click here

In 2006 no-one was swallowed by a snake. Not in 2007 either. So it's unknown in this country.

For comparison, the number of people who died from a boil on the bum was 7 and 3 in the respective years. (The posh version of "boil on the bum" is "furuncle and carbuncle of the buttock").

DRZ400

Post by DRZ400 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:12 pm

Does it cover every type of death possible?

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Post by WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:31 pm

Nothing could convince me that any Joe Blog’s should be able to own a huge python, it is like letting people own a tiger or lion in a suburban area and letting it into the garden to accidently eat someone’s dog or child.

People who own dangerous creatures should need a licence and there should be consequences to allowing such tragedies happen when they could quite easily be avoided. I would be afraid if our nasty neighbour owned a 13ft python, being such a complete psycho it would be thrown over the fence for fun, then I would be a willburger and I don't like the thought of that at all! :cry:

appledore

Post by appledore » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:44 pm

I can't understand why anyone would want a python for a pet either.
I suppose it would be similar to when you see a little weedy man being taken for a walk by a big mean looking dog. They seem to think it makes them look macho. Pathetic more like. :roll:
Keep calm and carry on.

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Post by WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:52 pm

Some people think they look tough by owning a dangerous pet, I know not all people are like that, some have a genuine interest and respect for these creatures but they wouldn't be the ones putting them in a garden. Keeping a python is to me like keeping a Giraffe, it can be cruel on the animal to be kept as a pet in the wrong surroundings, and not many people would have the conditions such as an animal park/reptile house to care for these creatures.

I guess if someone can care for the snake it the correct way and they are responsible people who take every precaution then it is fine, but allowing anyone to have one? Well many idiots are unfortunately drawn to owning such a creature, like thugs and pit bulls taught to attack. It upsets me really, so many animals used as tools of aggression and so many victims of them, the stupid owners never seem to pay the price for their actions but the poor animal does in most cases. :x