anybody there who actually likes cats and hates prikka??

This forum is for serious issues involving animals
andrew54

Post by andrew54 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:43 pm

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:Some people think they look tough by owning a dangerous pet...
I go along with a tee shirt we saw recently. It was pink printed with 'I'm tough enough to wear pink'.

If you need a python to show you are tough, then maybe you are not tough at all.

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG
Number of Posts per Page: 5
Number of topics per page: 15

Post by WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:52 pm

andrew54 wrote:If you need a python to show you are tough, then maybe you are not tough at all.
Very true.

I'm not sure why people need to appear to be tough? Strength of mind and character is something you know inside not display through owning an elephant, lesser spotted duckbilled platypus or pussy eating python. :lol:

SYLVA

Post by SYLVA » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:40 pm

Three Counties Radio 18th August.
The JVS Consumer program for the last hour, (1-2pm) designates this ‘phone in’ period to one particular subject.

Tuesday’s subject was cats, but the ferocity of some callers did in fact surprise me and the debate on live radio does add a different dimension to that of the written word.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0 ... 8_08_2009/

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Post by WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:24 pm

Interesting Sylva.

The nitwit going on about wanting to shoot them, well just a horrid person. These types show how little goes on in their lives and upstairs.

The funniest was the man with the fog horn, terrible cat owner and probably someone who annoys everyone on the road too. :lol:

The lady who talked about responsibility when owning a cat made some good points. The aggressive cats have been brought up badly like children can be brought up badly. Our cat took some training but he is still not perfect to ‘cat haters’ standards.

Sensible comments regarding the hunting of birds.

Cats are wonderful companions, they actually can be just as loyal and loving as dogs. To think people have such hatred towards these beautiful animals, it’s like a horror film, I can’t quite believe how awful some people are. To call them evil!!?!?!?! Well control, control, control. I keep saying it, people need to control everything! The people who shoot cats are no different than people who abuse other people to get what they want.

Going on and on about cat poop, they never mention the tons of bird poop their little angels put they’re hands in, because you can’t control birds. I just think it is another excuse to war with your neighbours, perhaps life has become that dull for them.

Whilst I can understand people finding it annoying, I can’t understand why they focus on it so much and feel they are evil. Just take deep breaths and remind yourself that it is only a bit of poop, not a land mine. :roll:

andrew54

Post by andrew54 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:54 pm

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:I
Cats are wonderful companions
So why are so few people bothering to mention this? I have always thought cats were just a nuisance.

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote: Going on and on about cat poop... Just take deep breaths and remind yourself that it is only a bit of poop...
Oh please! Even thinking about taking deep breathes when I find cat sh1t is enough to turn my stomach. Though your choice of words is quite funny really.

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Post by WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:00 pm

andrew54 wrote:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote: Going on and on about cat poop... Just take deep breaths and remind yourself that it is only a bit of poop...
Oh please! Even thinking about taking deep breathes when I find cat sh1t is enough to turn my stomach. Though your choice of words is quite funny really.
Teehee I hadn't thought of that! :oops: :lol: It isn't that I don't sympathise with those who find it offensive to find poop, I would gladly clean up after our cat and do try my hardest to make sure he doesn't need to poop when out. It just breaks my heart to hear people say they should all be hanged or shot. :( My sympathy runs out then.

If you want to hear about what beautiful companions cats are go to a cat forum, but I doubt you want to hear about it, these beautiful companions poop in other people’s gardens and that is the bones of the problem. I just wish it wasn't such a big problem that makes certain people become murderous.

victor508

Post by victor508 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:23 am

From the RSPB website.
Are cats causing bird declines?
Estimates of how many creatures are killed by cats each year vary significantly.

The most recent figures are from the Mammal Society, which estimates that the UK's cats catch up to 275 million prey items a year, of which 55 million are birds. This is the number of prey items that were known to have been caught; we don't know how many more the cats caught, but didn't bring home, or how many escaped but subsequently died.

The most frequently caught birds, according to the Mammal Society, are probably (in order) house sparrows, blue tits, blackbirds and starlings.

No evidence
Despite the large numbers of birds killed, there is no scientific evidence that predation by cats in gardens is having any impact on bird populations UK-wide. This may be surprising, but many millions of birds die naturally every year, mainly through starvation, disease, or other forms of predation. There is evidence that cats tend to take weak or sickly birds.

It is likely that most of the birds killed by cats would have died anyway from other causes before the next breeding season
We also know that of the millions of baby birds hatched each year, most will die before they reach breeding age. This is also quite natural, and each pair needs only to rear two young that survive to breeding age to replace themselves and maintain the population.

It is likely that most of the birds killed by cats would have died anyway from other causes before the next breeding season, so cats are unlikely to have a major impact on populations. If their predation was additional to these other causes of mortality, this might have a serious impact on bird populations.

Those bird species that have undergone the most serious population declines in the UK (such as skylarks, tree sparrows and corn buntings) rarely encounter cats, so cats cannot be causing their declines. Research shows that these declines are usually caused by habitat change or loss, particularly on farmland.

Gardens: important habitat
Populations of species that are most abundant in gardens tend to be increasing, despite the presence of cats. Blue tits, for example, the second most frequently caught birds, have increased by over a quarter across the UK since 1966. Of the birds most frequently caught by cats in gardens, only two (house sparrow and starling) have shown declines in breeding population across a range of habitats during the last six years.

Gardens may provide a breeding habitat for at least 20% of the UK populations of house sparrows, starlings, greenfinches, blackbirds and song thrushes four of which are declining across the UK. For this reason it would be prudent to try to reduce cat predation, as, although it is not causing the declines, some of these species are already under pressure.

Cat predation can be a problem where housing is next to scarce habitats such as heathland, and could potentially be most damaging to species with a restricted range (such as cirl buntings) or species dependent on a fragmented habitat (such as Dartford warblers on heathland).

Some sensible facts about cats killing animals. 275million a year of that 55 million were bird kills ,that leaves 220 million which were mice ,rats ,shrews etc . Without cats we would have an extra billion rats , mice etc in the uk over 5 years , that is working on just mathematics , in reality if the cats were all kept in for 5 years , what do you think the rodent population would increase by , the way rats produce young i couldn't hazzard a quess
as to the sum, and as the rodent is the one who passes the infection on to the cat , i believe the number of cases of children getting toxoplazma would rise if cats were confined to barracks.

Facts on toxoplazma.

Toxoplasma
The most common zoonosis to cause concern is Toxoplasma, especially for pregnant ladies. The details are complex, but the reality is Toxoplasma is a small parasite that lives in the muscle of sheep, rabbits, rats and kangaroos and multiplies in the intestines of young cats if they eat that meat.

It is spread to the herbivores out on the fields and pastures contaminated by feral cats' faeces. Only young cats pass contaminated faeces usually, so once past the kitten stage, very few cats will pass on the eggs (called oocysts) which can infect other mammals, including humans. The upshot of this is that most people in Australia become infected with Toxoplasma oocysts by gardening without gloves, and in France, by eating undercooked lamb or rabbit.

Being infected with the oocysts is only a problem for pregnant women if they have not been in contact with the Toxoplasma oocysts before they got pregnant, because then the baby gets infected as well, with debilitating effects.

So, because cat faeces are involved, it is only right that pregnant women should not handle cat faeces. However, bear in mind it takes a few days for the oocysts to develop enough in the faeces for them to become infective, so daily cleaning of litter trays removes that risk as well.

Toxoplasma oocysts do not hang around on the cat’s coat either (in fact their skin has 30 percent fewer bacteria on it than yours because of all that grooming!). So, the risk to an owner of an adult cat with a regularly cleaned litter tray is low. Interestingly, vets and vet nurses have no higher levels of exposure to Toxoplasma than the general population, which would indicate that cats are actually a low-risk source of infection.

Precautions for women then, are to use gloves when gardening (and wash hands after handling any soil or sand outside) and to cook lamb, rabbit and kangaroo meat well, and wash hands after handling those meats raw. Pretty simple really.

Blood testing your cat for Toxoplasma is not going to be very revealing, as most cats will have been exposed and be immune from quite a young age. The ideal is to actually have both expectant mother and cat having high levels of toxoplasma antibodies prior to the pregnancy! That way, no one is going to be infected!

Victor.

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Post by WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:09 pm

http://www.itv.com/presscentre/presspac ... fault.html

Fellow cat lovers, this program should be very interesting. :)

Stoday

Post by Stoday » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:03 pm

Some people really hate cats. I hope the perp gets caught.

Cats Poisoned

Read the comments.

Stoday

Post by Stoday » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:45 am

For cat lovers:

Cat Cartoon

:)

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Post by WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:30 pm

OMG that cartoon made me laugh so much!!! :D I'm so glad our cat isn't like that though, he is too old to be climbing the curtains although he does eat any insect or arachnid that is on the floor...phew! I am scared of spiders, he is like a vacuum with a brain. :lol:

RDW

Post by RDW » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:16 pm

Blimey, are you anti social cat lovers still on this ? I've had 2 weeks in West Wales

Get over it you cat facists you can not defend the indefensible, and as for the petition....

The most popular petition at the moment is

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/please-go/

And is not worth the paper it is written on, it's just there to make numpties feel like they have a say.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Post by WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:40 pm

Awwww RDW, if only you knew how wonderful cats are as pets. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHXBL6bzAR4

This is hilarious! Even if you don't like cats it is funny. My husband is an engineer and has to figure everything out and with the cat it is a joy to watch him trying to figure kitty out. Thank goodness he doesn't take kitty apart like he does with a lot of other things! :lol: Although you would probably say "go on, take the cat apart!" :wink:

leeza09

Post by leeza09 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:00 am

The name cat drives me wild, all my birds has become his food. if i go ask my neighbor he is asking me proof to prove it. think he asks me to video shoot his cat killing my birds.

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Post by WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:45 pm

leeza09 wrote:The name cat drives me wild, all my birds has become his food. if i go ask my neighbor he is asking me proof to prove it. think he asks me to video shoot his cat killing my birds.
Your birds or wild birds?

If your birds...you had better upgrade in size. :lol:
http://media.ebaumsworld.com/picture/An ... y_bird.jpg