Slugs and Snails.

This forum is for serious issues involving animals
SYLVA

Slugs and Snails.

Post by SYLVA » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:52 am

As a follow up to using a household product (talc powder.) for eradication of woodlice, can I add that a squirt of ‘Bathroom Mousse’ is an extremely effective method for ending the lives of slugs and snails on patios and pathways.

Because these creatures predominately breathe through their skin, the enveloping foam simply suffocates them almost immediately.
Obviously the foam will not work on a snail that is within its shell, unless it is turned over to its exit/ entry where the body of the snail is visible, and neither will the foam be effective in rain.

stringrae

Post by stringrae » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:30 am

Hi Sylva I love all animals and feel that every one of them has a right to live on our planet. However, when I see my plants being scoffed into spider web leaves then I have to wrestle with my conscience. My husband picks them up (snails) and lobs them at a tree or fence or even steps on them and I run for the kitchen salt which then makes me feel awful as they then have a nasty death with all their spitty stuff.

Its hard to know which is right but as a gardener I have to see them as pests and if you put pellets out and they eat them then I believe they also have a nasty painful death.

We have a hedgehog which lives at the front of our houses and he does his best to mop them and other pests up which is natures way and probably the best one!

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG
Number of Posts per Page: 5
Number of topics per page: 15

Re: Slugs and Snails.

Post by WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:44 am

I admit to using slug pellets once and when I saw what it did to the slug it made me feel quite teary, :( not nice at all! It is a tough one, our plants are being eaten but I can’t bring myself to put more slug pellets down, hubby will have no problem doing it himself though! If I tell him about mouse being effective he might use oven spray and that can't be good for the patio.

SYLVA

Post by SYLVA » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:07 pm

stringrae.
Thought you might like to take note, re Hedgehogs.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wildli ... RSPCA.html

appledore

Post by appledore » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:20 pm

And puppy dog tails. Sorry, I just had to say that. :oops: :lol: :lol:

Well, if the talc and the mousse doesn't work you'll still have slugs, snails and woodlice, but at least they'll smell nice. :wink:

We don't have many slugs and snails, but we've seen a hedgehog around so he's probably hoovering them up.
Keep calm and carry on.

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Post by WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:11 pm

appledore wrote:And puppy dog tails. Sorry, I just had to say that. :oops: :lol: :lol:
Oh I wanted to say that! :lol: The mouse could always be used for hair styles of the 80's, the slime from slugs and snails might even be better than Elnett or gel! :lol: The talc might make home made deodorant like in the dark ages and anything still living could be sold as a strange delicacy in a very posh diner in Moss Side. :oops:

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Post by WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:17 pm

On a serious note hedgehogs being poisoned is very upsetting, this is one reason why I am so against poisoning animals that are pests, so many other animals and birds can die that same horrendous death.

I love hedgehogs and they do clean up many annoying little insects and 'crustaceans', it is just very sad indeed. :cry:

Lawyer 2

Post by Lawyer 2 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:35 pm

Don't all creatures deserve a chance to live and avoid a horrid death? You appear to be quite selective to suit your own arguments here.

Treeman
Number of Posts per Page: 50

Post by Treeman » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:32 pm

Poisoning slugs is bad for the food chain.

Keep the slimy blighters off your plants with copper strips.
This is not a wildmandy moment.

Slugs don’t like copper. Flatten out a bit of old copper pipe and nail it to the top of your planters or buy the proprietary products.

hippygirl

Post by hippygirl » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:16 am

We have used copper around the top of our pots for a number of years now and it does work, most garden centres/diy shops sell stick on copper roll. This works well for the summer stuff which they really go to town on. There are hundreds of plants the little critters dont eat so do what we have done and plant accordingly, and just accept that sometimes you are going to lose a few.... :cry:

stringrae

Post by stringrae » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:04 am

Yes I did hear that copper was a good deterrent - hard to copper off a whole flower bed though! If I do use pellets I only use the Growing Success ones which state that birds, cats and hedgehogs etc do not like the pellets and will not eat them and having 2 cats I do find this to be true although I have stopped using them as frankly they do not seem to do the trick so why bother. I have used coffee granules around hostas and the like but not sure how effective that really is and apparently they dont like gravel so have gravelled around flower beds but they dont seem to worry about that either!!

Our slugs down here are HUGE about 4 to 5 inches long and are either light brown or black and those fellas need alot of plants to survive. :shock: Am thinking of relocating Mr Snuffles (the hedgehog) into the back garden for a few days - but not sure where he lives and he might have family to care for.

victor508

Post by victor508 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:19 am

A couble of weeks back , i don't know if it was the heavy rain or the heat but dozens of very large slugs decided to come out of the undergrowth on the side of the lane , they stayed in the lane until they got squashed by traffic , not much traffic as there are only 2 houses , i had seen the odd one before , this was like a street party.

Victor.

Treeman
Number of Posts per Page: 50

Post by Treeman » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:36 am

Well if you have to kill them off common or garden beer is a tried and tested method.

I don’t think any method of dying is good but if ya gota go then wasted is as good a way as any. Aside from doing in the mollusc it wont harm the rest of the food chain but I cant guarantee the hedgehog wont acquire a taste for marinated slug.

Copper rims to the raised bed and a secondary defence of aldi beer keeps the losses in my veggies to a minimum

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Post by WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:02 pm

http://www.greenfingers.com/superstore/ ... id=LS8725D

Copper tape seems like the ideal solution if it works. Perhaps wildmandy ran around trees with this tape chanting die, die die. :oops: :lol:

We get slugs in the house and they leave a messy trail up curtains and across carpets, but no harm done really, it is the plants that suffer. They get in through the vents and always find their way back out after sliming a few things. :? grrr

arborlad

Post by arborlad » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:47 pm

stringrae wrote: If I do use pellets I only use the Growing Success ones which state that birds, cats and hedgehogs etc do not like the pellets and will not eat them .

It's not that birds, cats and hedgehogs wont eat the pellets, they will eat the slugs and snails who have eaten the pellets - so still entering the food chain.

Glad to see you're not using them now though :D
arborlad

smile...it confuses people