Tweety Pie the Sparrow Hawk

This forum is for serious issues involving animals
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG
Number of Posts per Page: 5
Number of topics per page: 15

Tweety Pie the Sparrow Hawk

Post by WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:53 pm

A Sparrow Hawk looking for lunch. These were taken through a window on full zoom so are not bad considering, this was the first time we had seen one still. Usually you see them swoop, hear the screams and then see it fly with lunch. :)

I think they are rather beautiful. :D

ImageImageImageImage

appledore

Post by appledore » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:04 pm

They're really good photos Will. We saw one sitting on the gate, but we weren't quick enough to get a photograph.

We saw a mouse on the bird's peanut feeder yesterday. I thought the nuts were going down fast. :)
Keep calm and carry on.

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Post by WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:13 pm

appledore wrote:They're really good photos Will. We saw one sitting on the gate, but we weren't quick enough to get a photograph.

We saw a mouse on the bird's peanut feeder yesterday. I thought the nuts were going down fast. :)
Thanks apples. I keep thinking we must have squirrels, our feeders go down so fast! But yesterday I witnessed sparrows with what looks to be an underactive thyroid, or perhaps the greedy sods are addicted to seeds and nuts?!?! :lol:

I think the sparrow hawk does resemble a sparrow, but also a pigeon and a budgerigar. I’m calling it a budgetspawk. :lol: :lol: :lol: I bet it really wanted a value sausage. :wink:

appledore

Post by appledore » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:22 pm

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:[Thanks apples. I keep thinking we must have squirrels, our feeders go down so fast! But yesterday I witnessed sparrows with what looks to be an underactive thyroid, or perhaps the greedy sods are addicted to seeds and nuts?!?! :lol:

I think the sparrow hawk does resemble a sparrow, but also a pigeon and a budgerigar. I’m calling it a budgetspawk. :lol: :lol: :lol: I bet it really wanted a value sausage. :wink:
The sparrows really seem to have got the hang of eating the nuts, at one time it was mostly the blue tits. The poor robins don't seem to be able to get the nuts, I think their beaks must be the wrong shape. They sit underneath and pick up the bits.

You could string up some value sausages for the budgetspawk, or you could call it a tweetiesplat. :lol: :lol:
Keep calm and carry on.

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Post by WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:29 pm

appledore wrote:The sparrows really seem to have got the hang of eating the nuts, at one time it was mostly the blue tits. The poor robins don't seem to be able to get the nuts, I think their beaks must be the wrong shape. They sit underneath and pick up the bits.

You could string up some value sausages for the budgetspawk, or you could call it a tweetiesplat. :lol: :lol:
We had the same thing with our feeders, blue tits love the nuts and starlings, we have seen a robin have a massive fight with itself in the window but never see them feeding. :( The sparrows didn't seem to care for nuts, but now! They are so fat they will need to fly like bumble bees soon. Perhaps I should put them on low cal nuts incase I spark an epidemic in obese sparrows. :lol: I could make money if I opened a weight watchers for sparrows but they wouldn't fly with the added weight of a wallet. :oops:

The cat is sat on the desk next to me and I mentioned the Tweetiesplat idea and he says “yes I would like a tweetiesplat, I haven’t tried this wonderful delicacy 'sparrow hawk' before." :lol: I waved a giant bell in his face and he soon shut it! :lol:

Midori

Post by Midori » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:35 pm

Robins prefer live food to seeds and nuts, alhough theywill take some.

They love mealworms, so if you want to see robins on your bird tables, something insecty will do the trick!

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Post by WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:21 am

Midori wrote:Robins prefer live food to seeds and nuts, alhough theywill take some.

They love mealworms, so if you want to see robins on your bird tables, something insecty will do the trick!
I put meal worms out and the billion starlings come down like day of the birds and hoover them in a nanosecond. :x Poor robins don't get a look in, except the window when they want a fight, a bit like the nfh. :lol:

appledore

Post by appledore » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:35 pm

Midori wrote:Robins prefer live food to seeds and nuts, alhough theywill take some.

We put porridge oats out in the winter for our robins. They love it and really hoover it up. :)
Keep calm and carry on.

Treeman
Number of Posts per Page: 50

Post by Treeman » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:12 pm

Nope

Robins LOVE nuts, well this one does

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... perch.html

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Post by WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:33 am

What a lovely story, I bet that little robin will never go hungry again. :D