This forum is for serious issues involving animals
MacadamB53
Number of Posts per Page: 100
Number of topics per page: 50

Re: Rodent issue

Post by MacadamB53 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:37 pm

Hi hertslady,

We are only doing what's within our rights to do so

you are now, yes, but you did take the law into your own hands (ie acted unlawfully) when you committed the trespass.

it sounds like the neighbour has taken exception to this - which is fair enough - but has maybe over-reacted (possibly as a coping mechanism).

hindsight is wonderful thing, but had you gone to the authorities in the first instance she would have no ammo.

Kind regards, Mac
PS any idea where the rats have migrated from when the weather turned - they haven't been parachuted in...

hertslady80

Post by hertslady80 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:05 pm

MacadamB53

We didn't trespass we covered the hole temporarily from our side of the garden, as there is no fence in position at present, yes it may have been cheeky but it was done purely to see what happened when the rats returned we saw 7 rats trying to gain access back into the "hole". But according to next door we had trapped them in as they heard noises in the wall and their ceiling, so if that's the case there were more inside.

We acted in a neighbourly way when they said they were going to deal with it as you point out it was on their side so little we could do at the time, it wasn't until I myself kept hearing noises in the loft each morning at around the same time that we realized we could have a major problem. And also the tone of next doors first letter to us on the 19th of January where she mentioned the grate we had slid across. Also stating she had purchased humane traps (a while ago) when we saw the traps laying idly for two weeks without being opened or baited i believed that maybe the intent was not to use them, this is when i sought advice from the local authority, this took two days then a week for him to visit the property. I cant go into lengthy details as it would be so long winded. Its now the 13th and the traps are still not being used. The ground feeding was the major food source for the rats, and yes we live in a rural area rats are everywhere but seldom seen, but that's life now so they were probably in the vicinity but the feeding has encouraged them to stay and breed.

As i said i wanted a legal point of view, maybe if you saw what has been written on her part you would see what we have been dealing with.

COGGY
Number of Posts per Page: 50

Post by COGGY » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:26 pm

Hi

By no stretch of the imagination can it be called "neighbourly" to refuse to take action against rats. They are nasty dirty creatures and harbour weil's disease which can actually kill humans. Are the rats going into other gardens as well as yours? Do your best to rid your property of the rats and continue to contact the Council until they take action.

Regards Coggy

hertslady80

Post by hertslady80 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:36 pm

Thank you coggy, we are the only neighbours, and no she isn't very neighbourly but then she has already stated that she isn't bothered about being "neighbourly".
That's all we can do by the looks of things, i just find it amazing that should our property suffer damage, with the worst being an electrical fire its tough luck.

Are any of you actual legal experts that are responding.

MacadamB53
Number of Posts per Page: 100

Post by MacadamB53 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:40 pm

Hi hertslady,

We didn't trespass

yes you did - you covered the hole [in your neighbour's property] temporarily

I wasn't accusing you of walking around their garden - that would be a different trespass.

Kind regards, Mac

hertslady80

Post by hertslady80 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:47 pm

Ok well it was done and she may not have liked it, but its done. As i said purely for observation, still who cares if they chew through wires in my loft and cause a fire and possibly kill us... amazing. :roll:

arborlad

Post by arborlad » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:15 am

MacadamB53 wrote:Hi hertslady,

We didn't trespass

yes you did - you covered the hole [in your neighbour's property] temporarily

I wasn't accusing you of walking around their garden - that would be a different trespass.

Kind regards, Mac

Your nit-picking is helping no-one.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people

hertslady80

Post by hertslady80 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:39 am

arborlad

It's fine, i don't want a dispute on here, had enough of those already. But then we could have grounds for trespass then, because next doors humane traps are on our land, but we haven't and won't ask for them to be removed.

The issue is why would anyone want vermin in their home, snap traps were not working, we had night vision camera in our loft and we could see the rats approach the traps and then disappear, so as i have said calling in a pest control guy to put poison down was our last resort, and had the neighbour dealt with it in a more timely manner this would not of happened.

It isn't their fault there is a problem with the external wall its the previous owner's where he put an extention on the back, we asked him to sort it but he obviously sold it without putting right the damage, first we knew of the hole still being there, was when we got a new dog and we could hear noises in the garden (puppy needs frequent garden visits) so we shone a torch at the side of the house and could see a tail hanging out that disappeared. We informed next door the following day i believe this was probably mid November. If they said they were taking action there was no need, 6 weeks after still nothing had been done. So we spoke again, shortly after this we received the first letter. Maybe we did give them too much time, but we appreciated that they didn't want the vermin killed, simply moved on, when there were no signs of this happening i called environmental health to seek advice at that stage. We only sent the neighbour one letter regarding the matter, to state we had contacted EH for advice and that he suggested that feeding of wildlife and birds should be stopped while trying to control the rat issue and to pass on to the neighbour the informal route first. Obviously when he attended our property he had a look, no obvious signs of entry on our side then looked at the hole, and there is nesting material around and clearly saw rodent feeding under the bird station, so he had what he needed. He told us to call in pest control for a visit, and that he would write a letter to the neighbour stating that we were baiting and ask she suspend feeding. So that's all she needed to do, adhere to that. Instead she chooses to write to us in a not so nice manner, for doing what we needed to do.

I'm sorry maybe no one else see's a problem with rats being in your house, but i certainly dont want to share my home with these animals.

arborlad

Post by arborlad » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:52 am

hertslady80 wrote: As I stated we tried snap traps baited with peanut butter, cooked bacon and mars bar they were never touched,.

............then you must have been doing something wrong!

The runs will normally be along buildings or fence lines, set your traps at right angles to the run with the baited part closest to the wall and a paving slab or something similar leaning against the wall to cover it. Are there any other friends or neighbours who could come along and advise on the placement and setting of the traps
arborlad

arborlad

Post by arborlad » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:07 am

hertslady80 wrote: The issue is why would anyone want vermin in their home, snap traps were not working, we had night vision camera in our loft and we could see the rats approach the traps and then disappear, so as i have said calling in a pest control guy to put poison down was our last resort, and had the neighbour dealt with it in a more timely manner this would not of happened..

If you and your cameras could see the traps - they weren't set right.
arborlad

hertslady80

Post by hertslady80 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:17 am

arborlad

The pest control person who came out said they wont touch traps as they are getting too much food from elsewhere, and we had baited the traps with peanut butter and cooked bacon as its been suggested rats love this, he said no try a mars bar we did this and still no joy, and they were placed where the rats appeared to be running.

I think her problem seems to stem from a comment the previous owner has supposed to of made, about us frowning on the feeding of wildlife, which is categorically untrue as we have always fed wildlife in a responsible manner, for example feeding little daily and as and when animals come in, had she been here long enough she would know that we used to have a frequent visit from a cock pheasant that we used to throw some seed out for, and also we had a pair of mallards that used to come every spring and the same we would throw food out when they come but only enough for them to eat.

So we have no issue with this provided its done and its not attracting unwanted guest, my neighbours before used to feed birds they stopped because he didn't like squirrels.

hertslady80

Post by hertslady80 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:23 am

This forum isn't helpful, more along the lines of picking apart what we have tried to do. when we shouldn't of had to of done anything anyway had appropriate action been taken sooner, so macadamB53 is correct we should of contacted EH sooner rather than giving them the time to sort it out.

Rats are neophobic, scared of new things, the traps have been in the loft since December. And in pest controls opinion were not a good method for the amount of rats we were seeing.

arborlad

Post by arborlad » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:44 pm

hertslady80 wrote:Rats are neophobic, scared of new things,

That is true, you just have to use it to your advantage by making sure there is no other route they can use than across a trap, they also don't like to be in the open too much, which is why the runs are invariably along buildings and fences etc., that's where your traps must be set.

the traps have been in the loft since December

If I had a trap set that hadn't caught within the first 24/48hrs, I'd be looking to change something, not necessarily the bait, I've often caught with an unbaited trap.

And in pest controls opinion were not a good method for the amount of rats we were seeing

That's only partially true, in the case of a major infestation you have to use every tool in the box, bait is one tool but it does have its disadvantages, a rat dying this time of year is likely to mummify and disappear without you noticing it, a rat dying in the summer will be an entirely different proposition.
arborlad

hertslady80

Post by hertslady80 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:26 pm

Thanks for the advice, sadly it all seems to be aimed at us not being proficient enough in our measures which is not what i wanted, i have sought the advice i needed from elsewhere.

We couldn't possibly cut off all routes in a loft so the rat has no choice but to cross the trap, that would require back to back traps, have been in the loft haven't found any dead ones but the bait has been taken. I did however find a dead one outside, that had been poisoned and disposed of it.

Property owners have a legal obligation to notify the local authority if they see evidence of a rat infestation, something our neighbours should of done, rather than encouraging them to stay in the area. Free food anyone would take advantage.

COGGY
Number of Posts per Page: 50

Post by COGGY » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:39 pm

Hi Hertslady80
I am sorry you feel the advice offered on this site is not what you required. I am sure you must feel extremely stressed about the situation. I certainly would in your situation. Many years ago we had one rat in our hall during the night. We were having building work done. My husband heard the noise, investigated and called out that we had a rat. He and our son were downstairs looking for it, our daughter and I were on the stairs ready to run back upstairs. It was one rat which had come in through the site of the building works and escaped through a hole in the wall ready to receive an electricity socket. (It left a paw print on the wall). Our son was armed with his hockey stick and my husband with the stick which opens the loft ladder. We can laugh about it now but at the time it was not funny.

Are you able to find the entrance used by the rats to enter your loft? If so could you put plenty of rat poison around that area? The only advice anyone on this site can usefully give you is how to eradicate the unwelcome visitors. I hope you are successful soon.

Best wishes Coggy