Rodent issue

This forum is for serious issues involving animals
hertslady80

Re: Rodent issue

Post by hertslady80 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:54 pm

We have had someone have a look in the loft he seems to think the same they are climbing up the cavity wall and in that way, as I have said it appears the bait has been taken so that's good, bad sign is so far no dead bodies. Which means that basically they could die in the cavity or above her extention area.

I am grateful for the advice given, and yes it has been extremely stressful mainly down to the fact of next door's lack of action and attitude towards us as though we have breached her rights, we both have rights, but her method wasn't working as they seem to be in denial that the rats are no longer in the property her side anyway, yet her daughter told me on monday she could hear them in the walls of her bedroom :shock:

Anyway we have done what we could, and if it escalates any further then the powers that be may have to intervene. We have always been amicable with previous neighbours we would speak etc, but this one resident hasn't even done that, she stated that she doesn't care about being neighbourly its no problem to her.

MacadamB53
Number of Posts per Page: 100
Number of topics per page: 50

Post by MacadamB53 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:08 pm

Hi hertslady,

i have sought the advice i needed from elsewhere.

please post back with the advice you get so the forum is more informed - even if it's the same as you got here.

All the best, Mac

hertslady80

Post by hertslady80 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:42 pm

The advice i was issued was should something happen to our property, i.e damage/ fire etc, if proven the fault with the neighbouring property is the point of access then its negligence as she has had ample time to do something about it.

Also re the letters with the unsubstantiated claims about us if it continues it could constitute harassment and to notify the police.

I spoke to a legal adviser today.

As i stated before had you seen the letters you would understand the stress and frustration.

Thank you for your help and advice, if anyone knows differently please let me know.

COGGY
Number of Posts per Page: 50

Post by COGGY » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:18 pm

Hi
With one or two exceptions I think it is fair to say the majority of posters on this site are not professionals. Therefore the help provided is given with the best of intentions but may not always be the best help available. I think most posters have attempted to help you and I am sure we all have sympathy for you. No-one would wish to have rats in their loft (apart it seems from your neighbour) unless they were sixpence short of a shilling. Have you notified your Insurance company of the problem? It may be that they would write a letter on your behalf informing the neighbour that should the rats gnaw through any wires in your loft she may be held responsible. In any case it would be wise in my opinion to keep the Insurance company informed. They may contact the relevant authorities on your behalf.

Regarding harrassment, I think you would need to have notified the police of any incidents, correspondence etc. in order to make any case for this.

Kind regards Coggy

hertslady80

Post by hertslady80 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:05 pm

Coggy

We approached our insurance company a while ago regarding the rodent issue, our policy doesn't cover damage caused by rats and mice, but the girl did do some research for us and couldn't find anyone who does. So i would assume neighbours would be the same. So it would be a civil claim.

With the harassment they advised i write a letter to her asking her to stop sending letters of this nature, otherwise i will inform the police as it could constitute harassment.
Either way i don't think there will be any relationship with next door.

I didnt mean for it to sound that the advice given wasn't helpful, just more or less not what was needed. :D

I'm new to this forum and i was stressed when i wrote the OP so it may not of been clear and concise.

COGGY

Post by COGGY » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:29 pm

Hi hertslady80

I understand you are stressed. So would anyone be with rats about in their loft. Have you actually contacted the police at all? It may not do any good, in which case the neighbour would not be aware, but they may be prepared to go round and speak to the neighbour. Tell them you would be grateful for their help. If it is a male PC act helpless. It often works. :roll: It can't do any harm.

Best wishes Coggy

hertslady80

Post by hertslady80 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:35 pm

I haven't as yet, as clearly we don't want to cause anymore grief. It's not something i intend to act on immediately, depends on whether there is anymore correspondence along the same line.

But i'm glad someone see's how mad it is to want rats living around you. :D

COGGY

Post by COGGY » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:00 pm

Hi

I am sure most people think it is mad to have rats living around you and not to take action. I really was suggesting that the police may speak to her about the rats as well as the correspondence. In your shoes I would be trying anything I could think of.

Regards Coggy

MacadamB53

Post by MacadamB53 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:49 pm

Hi hertslady,

if proven the fault with the neighbouring property is the point of access then its negligence

all well and good advising you this, but IMHO you'll almost certainly not be able prove where the dead rat came from after the house fire.

did the person offering the advice give you advice on how this could be proven?

Kind regards, Mac

hertslady80

Post by hertslady80 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:22 pm

I think what they mean is that should a fire occur due to rodents chewing an electrical able, the if proven the only access point was said "hole" then it would be down to her negligence. I already have proof as they have been chewing on the insulation that covers water pipes to the shower pump, luckily they havent chewed through to the pipe as this could of caused all sorts of problems.

But i see your point.

MacadamB53

Post by MacadamB53 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:54 pm

Hi hertslady,

if proven the only access point was said "hole"

forgetting about house fires for the moment, are you suggesting there is only one hole on the entire exterior of the building? (rhetorical question)

you seem to be reading too much into the pest control guy agreeing with your suggestion that they probably got in through the hole you've been monitoring - get the same guy back and ask him if it's the ONLY hole a rat might get through...

Kind regards, Mac
PS I'm not nitpicking - I'm trying to help make the penny drop so you can focus your energies on the actual problem not a hypothetical one...
Last edited by MacadamB53 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

hertslady80

Post by hertslady80 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:59 pm

I am not suggesting that's the only hole, in fact next door informed me they had found another entry point on their property.

There are no holes on our property at ground level or anywhere else for that matter. Care to enlighten me where else they may be getting in.

hertslady80

Post by hertslady80 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:18 pm

Before this gets totally off point.

All we wanted to know is that should worse case scenario happen not necessarily a fire any real damage occuring was there any legal recourse. If not we know exactly where we stand with no home and just a bit of land and no money to build a new house as it is not covered by insurance. So if there is no legal recourse then even more reason for us to adopt the harsh baiting regime to rid our home of rats.

Seeing as you seem to know a bit MacadamB53, if the rats that are entering her home come into our loft eat the bait but then go back into her house and die as most rats succumb in their nests, then they will rot and cause a horrible stench has she got any recourse against us as she knows we have used bait in our loft and garden (lock up boxes) because there is a possibility of at least 10 rats that could die somewhere in the property. Lets say she has to do remedial to get rid of the bodies because of the smell is she going to come at us to seek redress for either the smell or the costs for having this work carried out, purely hypothetical.

arborlad

Post by arborlad » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:47 pm

hertslady80 wrote:............... harsh baiting regime..........

Is that your words or your neighbours?
arborlad

smile...it confuses people

MacadamB53

Post by MacadamB53 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:11 pm

Hi hertslady,

has she got any recourse against us as she knows we have used bait in our loft and garden...

no she hasn't.

keep plugging away with getting the local authority to take action - they can do more if the problem persists and face an owner/occupier who is uncooperative...

I'd get a pal to make an anonymous complaint (only plausible if their garden can be viewed from the public footpath though..)

Kind regards, Mac