keeping chickens

This forum is for serious issues involving animals
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG
Number of Posts per Page: 5
Number of topics per page: 15

Post by WILL*REMAIN*STRONG »

Janner 007 wrote:Ah, the killer rabbit of Caerbannog. May be your cat needs the The Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch.
Nah we'll just feed him Spamalot. :wink:
deeneyboy

Re:

Post by deeneyboy »

Trog wrote:
spidergirl wrote:my neighbour has chickens and they are nothing but a nuisence. They crow all day and yes they do attract rats.
My neighbour has chickens, they are no trouble at all, make very little noise and are entertaining to watch.
I joined this forum to say that you are totally wrong.

My neighbour also keeps chickens (hens) and one of them crows from sun-rise to sun-set, probably because it is not looked after properly. I am currently talking to the council and unless it stops they will be subject to a noise abatement notice. This prevents any bird sound from the property. If they breach this they will end up in court and risk loosing their birds. Why have we (all of my neighbours) done this? Because it is loud enough to be heard through double-glazing at 6:30am on a Sunday.
Most - in fact possibly all - people who use this forum will be doing things the correct way but be warned that, if you live in a house with a very small garden surrounded on all sides in a densely populated residential area and your birds make a lot of noise then there are steps people will take against you that might see you in court.
Mojisola

Re: keeping chickens

Post by Mojisola »

Chickens don't crow - cockerels do. It's quite normal for them to crow on and off all day. It's nothing to do with how well or badly they are looked after.

It's antisocial of your neighbours to have a cockerel if his noise is disturbing you all and you will probably be able to make the neighbour get rid of him. It shouldn't need to go as far as court - the local authority can enforce an order.

I doubt that you will be able to force him to get rid of the chickens because they are not noisy. They do make a couple of minutes' noise when they lay an egg but, other than that, they are very quiet.
w3526602

Post by w3526602 »

Hi,

I used to keep goats (for milk, although we did eat one). Our pet rabbit used to sleep in a carboard box in the goat shed. One day, my daughter went into the shed, reached into the box to stroke the rabbit. It felt strange, so she looked into the box, found she was stroking a rat, who was snuggled up to the rabbit. :shock: The rat didn't seem to be bothered by being stroked.

My neighbours kept a rabbit in a hutch. One day they found their German Shepherd had got into the hutch, and was kipping in the straw ...... with the rabbit kipping on top of him. They never bothered closing the hutch after that.

602 (That was my "last three")
markmo

Post by markmo »

I have 8 hens just coming up 8 month I HAVE noticed one is picking on the others and pecking the back of there heads which are starting to show bald patches is there anything I can do to prevent this
span

Post by span »

markmo wrote:I have 8 hens just coming up 8 month I HAVE noticed one is picking on the others and pecking the back of there heads which are starting to show bald patches is there anything I can do to prevent this
Well, you have a choice to make, really.

You can have 7 bald hens, or one Sunday roast.

Up to you. :D
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG
Number of Posts per Page: 5
Number of topics per page: 15

Post by WILL*REMAIN*STRONG »

span wrote:Well, you have a choice to make, really.

You can have 7 bald hens, or one Sunday roast.
:lol:

Mmmmmm bbq chicken, no choice really. :D
katee
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 20

Post by katee »

Hi markmo,

Sorry to hear your chickens are not getting along too well but unfortunately it's quite natural.

Chickens have strong 'pecking order' instincts. Identify the bird who is instigating the bullying (which you seem to have done) and isolate her from the flock for a few days.

Alternatively you could get some nasty tasting concoction such as pine tar to put on the receiving hens necks. Ask in your local agricultural stockists for anti-peck.

Gentian Violet is always handy around the home (some of us might remember having our heads painted with it for lice :shock: ) this is a good antiseptic and disguises any blood that bullying birds are attracted to.

Last resort is de-beaking, which I personaly don't think works very well,........... or the pot! :evil:

Good luck.
gruempy

Post by gruempy »

Hi

The top of our neighbour's garden is immediately outside our backdoor our the path that leads from the garage past the back door and on to the back garden. This neighbour keeps chickens and had previously built a run about 3 m back from the fence outside our backdoor. In a hot summer the smell from the chickens can be quite offensive but we could just about tolerate it (and the rats). However, this morning the neighbour has just extended the run right up to the fence and we are worried that in hot weather the smell could become intolerable.

I had heard that there was legislation banning chicken runs from being within a certain distance of another premise and wondered if this is true or if not then what rights we have to request that the run be moved further down the garden towards their house. In the past I have mentioned the problem of rats to this neighbour but he simply said that was a consequence of living in the countryside (not that we are actually in the country side but we are on the outskirts of a large town) and was unwilling to do anything to remove the rubbish pit/compost box (on to which the chicken waste was being put), which seemed to be attracting them.

Any help much appreciated and here'shoping we don't have a scorcher this year :(
border collie

Post by border collie »

Firstly check yours and his deeds, a semi we once lived in had a clause saying they couldn't be kept.

Ring environmental health to complain about the rats and the filth and smells.
RUHEAP

Post by RUHEAP »

obviously the person who says hens do not make a noise wears ear plugs...they certainly do...it give one an indication they are about to lay..also when they want feeding..the cock makes a noise once or twice a day.. hens a great deal more..the problem is censored. it sticks to concrete and it lays on the grass..great if you have small children around...as they harden the can look like sweets..but not as nice...i do not know that from experience !!! the fact that they give enough eggs for a massive thick scrambled egg pitzza each saturday is a benefit..also swapping with other neighbours for veg....actually i prefer a goat it eats the bark off tpo trees.
RUHEAP

Re:

Post by RUHEAP »

chrisevans1001 wrote:Chickens don't attract rats... the food attracts the rats if it's badly managed. Making it difficult for rats to get to is the answer.

Hens (what most people keep) do not crow all day, in fact, make very little noise at all.

Cockerels (which most people don't keep) do crow often during the day & early mornings.
May be my rats prefer the chickens. They eat them when they get the chance. Watch out for Owls. Foxes..they just bite the head

off the hens, messy. Rgds uheap