cats killing baby birds

This forum is for serious issues involving animals
liveinpeace
Number of Posts per Page: 10
Number of topics per page: 10

cats killing baby birds

Post by liveinpeace » Thu May 17, 2018 7:10 pm

I know this is probably a question I am going to probably regret as so many questions about cats or dogs turn into rants.
and yes I have tried fence spikes,lion censored, plants that repel cats, bottles of water,cat scarers the lot.
today i have just buried the three baby blackbirds nesting in my tree. one neighbour at the back has four cats. i can just about handle the daily clearing up of his animals poop, but so far in the last month I have found the robin i have fed all winter dead and two blue tits.the cats also often try to come in when i leave the back door open. I regularly look after my friends working lurchers, my garden is very well enclosed, where do i stand in the law if a cat comes in my house or garden and the dogs either kill or harm them.

despair

Re: cats killing baby birds

Post by despair » Thu May 17, 2018 7:21 pm

I would love to see the lurchers do it
Given what you have done to try and deter entry to your garden .... those cats are asking for trouble

So sorry for the birds

I would be returning the cat poop for starters

liveinpeace

Post by liveinpeace » Thu May 17, 2018 10:03 pm

yes despair was is it with my garden and trespassing! its getting like fort knox. I would send the censored back, but I'm trying to be a nice neighbour!!

I talked to a man at work today about it. he is a cat owner and said the killing of birds is just nature and the cats are born to do it, i said the lurchers I will be looking after will be glad to hear that,as thats what I think if a cat comes in my house again!! but apparently he did not agree with that, its just one sided apparently.

sadly if they keep trying to come in my house it is going to be inevitable, I just wondered where I stood legally?

jdfi
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 50

Post by jdfi » Sun May 27, 2018 12:10 pm

Get a sheep. Then you will be entitled to shoot the cats and dogs.

zaax

Post by zaax » Mon May 28, 2018 1:19 pm

Put an electric wire / tape at the top of your fence, and watch how far the cat flies when you turning on whilst it walking along the fence

https://www.electric-fence.co.uk/voss-f ... YZEALw_wcB
I know nothing about the law.

jonahinoz

Post by jonahinoz » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:16 pm

Hi,

Is it still the case that "Nobody owns a cat"?

You could try asking the RSPB for advice.

liveinpeace

Post by liveinpeace » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:41 pm

well the cats have now killed all the birds in my garden, except for some little sparrows that are nesting in my eaves that they cant get to. sadly the cats didn't come in my house whilst I was lurcher sitting! and they have not tried to come in since. but there have been two posters for missing cats put on lampposts in the street, so i think the cats have obviously been in someone elses house too. lets hope its the neighbour with the two jack russell x patterdales!
I have been on the RSPB site but there is nothing they can do, they just give advice on trying to keep feeding and nesting birds safe and putting bells on cats. he doesn't put bells on them or collars as he doesnt want them to get stuck on branches,perish the thought!
I have started launching the cat poop back over the wall though as Im not stinking my bin out in this weather.
GOD I HATE CATS

ukmicky
Number of topics per page: 20

Post by ukmicky » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:12 pm

So far this year

The magpies got every baby blue tit that came out of my nest box and also got at least 2 baby wrens that emerged from under the eves of the neighbours house

My cats have come home with at least 30 birds of various sizes ,some I was able to get hold of and release before they were killed .My cats also have come home with at least a hundred field mice, some of which I was also able to help and release.

The sparrow hawk we see most years so far has taken down 4 pigeons in the field behind us, two of which were still fighting back for 20 minutes . (It seems not all birds of prey are efficient killing machines)

The foxes have attacked 4 hedgehogs we know of and bit a rear leg off 3 of them. (vets and some wildlife centres put down 3 legged hedgehogs so we now treat them our selves and release because they can survive fine with 3 legs)

All of that is nature and whilst occasionally some things can be distressing that is how it all works
Any information provided is not legal advice and you are advised to gain a professional opinion

IdefixUK
Number of topics per page: 25

Post by IdefixUK » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:31 pm

You might like to try a powerful kids water pistol.....Amazon supersoaker and similar. I suggest you call the RSPCA first lest they think a few squirts cruel to cats.
Regards

liveinpeace

Post by liveinpeace » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:21 am

thanks ukmicky, i do understand and respect nature and the wild animals and Im not at all a squeamish person and understand how nature sometimes seems cruel. And I do respect the point you are making.

All the animals that you mentioned are wild apart from cats that people want to call domestic pets when they want the rights to be the same as dogs, but then decide they are wild and its natures course when they want them to be free to roam and be allowed to poop all over neighbours gardens and kill birds.
I do also understand the need for farm cats.
But having 4 domestic cats, in a small garden, opening your door and letting them out to poop and kill for the sake of it, really pigs me off.

I understand that people love their pets, but I just wish we were as forward thinking as other countries that have night curfews in the breeding nesting time. I also wish all cat owners in built up areas should have to have cat trays in their gardens, even if its not their cats poop thats in them!!! but sadly I dont rule the world yet.

As someone who loves gardening I have battled a war (i have always lost)on poop and plant digging and killing birds by neighbours cats since i can remember, but that was not why I posted a question on this sight originally.
My question was that if the cats keeps coming in my house when the door is open (once spraying my kitchen,as one is a tom) i regularly look after working lurchers and I wondered where I would stand legally if the inevitable happens in my house.
though as I have said in my previous post there are two posters in the street regarding his missing cats so I think they my have been in some one elses house.

thanks Idefixuk, i do blast them with my spray and lob whatever book, crock, welly is at hand at them

IdefixUK

Post by IdefixUK » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:07 pm

Eg. The Original Stream Machine High powered water gun Set of 2. Amazon uk. Shoots up to 70 feet. Set of two....shoot at two cats at the same time. Wow...meow

ukmicky
Number of topics per page: 20

Post by ukmicky » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:09 pm

Idefix

Cats don't frighten easily and are very clever and resourceful animals. Squirting a cat with water will not stop a cat from returning to the same place even if it gets repeatedly soaked . All it will do is cause the cat to adapt to the threat by being more cautious before they enter.

My black and white cat still goes into next doors garden even though occasionally it will be chased out by their dog .My other cat which is part Bengal will jump into next doors garden and attack the dog in aid of my other cat if the dog corners it.

The cat from up the road still comes through my cat flap to eat my cats food even though it has many times been chased out by my cats and me . Its has now learnt to open the cat flap four or five time to see if anything hears it before it enters now.
Any information provided is not legal advice and you are advised to gain a professional opinion

IdefixUK

Post by IdefixUK » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:20 pm

Ukmicky

The cats in your neck o' the woods must be smarter than those around here.....I suppose they all went to Catolick schools.
I stand corrected about their devious yet mysterious ways....paws for thought. :lol:
Regards

liveinpeace

Post by liveinpeace » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:04 am

hi
yep your right cats dont scare easily, i have spent more on trying to keep cats out of my garden, than i have spent on looking after my own animals.

ive tried,bottles of water,only to find a pile of doings next to them, a cat scarer, they quickly got used to it and ignored it, mirrors, every pest away spray, citronella, cat spikes on my fence(RSPCA approved ones) they sat on them and gave me the cat equivalent of the ha ha look.I have bought plants that are supposed to repel them and was once even bought some lion doings. all to no avail.

the tom i have mentioned is the size of a smart car, so at first i was wondering how a dog was getting in my garden and pooping. but the tom smell finally made me twig.

Anyway one cat was found by the patterdales owner, as it did go in his house!! that was all he said.
feel sorry for the lady next door to him, one has been in her conservatory and used her wicker furniture as a cat scratching post ,a friend of mine said put a load of them round your garden as shes bought several for her cats and they wont go anywhere near them!!

still as long as one of the cats doesn't contest my boundary's I am sure i will cope.

despair

Post by despair » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:43 pm

Local cat is sure scared off by my daughters dogs ..they run faster than the cat