Barking Dogs

This forum is for serious issues involving animals
sprocker1

Barking Dogs

Post by sprocker1 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:02 am

Good Morning.

Long time since I have posted on here, so here goes!

We live in a new build and have done since it was built 7 years ago, for the first 4 years it was pure bliss, until new neighbours moved in. Initially all was fine, then about 8 months after they moved in they asked us "Do you ever hear our dog bark?" It seemed very innocent and neighbourly at the time, and the answer we gave was an honest "No!"

1 Month later a new dog appeared, and soon after the problems began, Whenever they were left alone, the new dog would bark and Howl, the older dog would then join in. This was constant.

We asked the neighbours to please do something about this, as we could hear it through the walls, and over the TV. (Incidentally no other noise comes through the walls!) The barking stopped!

Last year it started again, and again we approached them, they told us that they had run out of the Citrus spray for the anti bark collars, and that a new supply was on order, a week later the barking stopped!.

For the past 2 months the barking has been driving us crazy, the moment they go out it starts. We again asked them to resolve the issue, but this time we were met with a different response, it's someone elses dog, there isn't a problem, but then in the same sentence I have asked my sister in law to come and sit with them! We know that they know there is a problem, but seem unwilling to deal with it this time.
Over the weekend we had family to stay unfortunatly on Saturday my cousin was unwell, and stayed home whilst the rest of us went out. When we got back we were met with "How do you cope with that, I couldn't sleep for the howling and barking" This continued untill about 6pm when the son appeared to feed and let them out. As soon as he left they started again. I sent the neighbour a whattsapp, to say that this was unreasonable, and that sending somebody to the house for 5 minuites did not solve the problem. and that we were now raising this with environmental health. Again acknowledging there was a problem he sent me a copy of the text he had sent his son, confirming he had just left, and could he return.

The son returned and the barking stopped.

I then received a message, saying that I am too making a note of all your noise, false reporting and smoking in the garden. This compleatly threw me! We are probably the most boring people in the world, we both work, and even at the weekend we are in bed by 10pm, we do not play loud music, and why I even pay for a TV licence!! I sent a message back "But (Neighbours name) neither me or my partner smoke" I received a reply "No your out door cooker" I presume he meant BBQ, which incidentally we have hardly used over the summer! (It should be noted that they have a BBQ!) followed by "And stop harrasing me"

I sent one single message back "As per your last comment I will not message or speak to you again unless it it through legan channels" I am aware that as he has seen this as harrasment, and he has asked me/us to stop then I can't speak or message him again.

Has anybody had any sucess with environmental health? The problem has allways been they will bark every friday night for 4 hours and every other sunday..... but that is not enough evidence, when I have been home on random days they have barked from 8-5......

I have given them notice that as from 5th December somebody will be home 24/7 (I am having an operation so will be off work and housebound for 6 weeks) in the hope that they will attempt to solve the problem. I have a feeling that they just want to up the anti!

Any ideas or advice would be gratefully welcomed.

Points to note :

They are owner occupiers
I am a dog lover.... We have one dog, who I know dosnt bark (I have a pet moniter, and as she is old, she just sleeps when we are out)
Sprocker

mr sheen

Re: Barking Dogs

Post by mr sheen » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:11 pm

You have a dog and they have a dog....dogs bark!
You can go to Environmental health if the noise level is excessively high but this rarely leads anywhere.
Some people have 4 kids....imagine the phenomenal noise! Should be banned IMO :D
Imagine being the neighbours of Twin babies who between them cry non-stop 24/7...yep having neighbours can be an absolute pain.
Unless you can afford to move out to the country to a property with no neighbours then you need to recognise that your neighbours will be living a life that may be different from yours. Your BBQ annoys them, their dogs barking annoys you...yeah different issues equally annoying...they probably have to keep their windows and doors closed when you fire up the barby and you need to do the same when their dog barks.....time to chill and concentrate on your own life.....life will throw a real serious issue for you to deal with soon enough so try to keep this annoyance in perspective.

Your neighbours have a right to live their lives as they wish. Whilst You have a right to give your neighbours notice that you will be at home 24/7 from a specific date, they have a right to ignore your 'notice'. Frankly giving people 'notice' and writing letters of complaint to neighbours often results in an 'upping of the anti' as the 'what ya gonna do about' attitude kicks in and in reality there is little that people can do about it which is why it should be a last resort only where legal action for serious issues is possible and can and does follow.

sprocker1

Post by sprocker1 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:28 pm

I think that you miss the point.

Six hours of continuous barking, when they are left on their own is not on, it can be heard through the walls and over the TV.

They know there is a problem, and in the past have rectified it, if you look about four posts down you will see that I origionally posted about this 2-3 years ago....., the problem now is that they are refusing to rectify it.
Sprocker

Eliza

Post by Eliza » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:51 pm

Now wondering if Mr Sheen is Sprocker's nfh.
Apologies for not giving exact personal details in my posts - you never know who is reading....

arborlad

Post by arborlad » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:07 pm

sprocker1 wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:28 pm
................. you will see that I origionally posted about this 2-3 years ago.....,

....................then why haven't you continued that thread?
arborlad

smile...it confuses people

sprocker1

Post by sprocker1 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:32 am

Because I had forgotton that I had posted it!
Sprocker

sprocker1

Post by sprocker1 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:33 am

Eliza wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:51 pm
Now wondering if Mr Sheen is Sprocker's nfh.
That's exactly what my partner said!
Sprocker

liveinpeace
Number of Posts per Page: 10
Number of topics per page: 10

Post by liveinpeace » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:53 am

i think mr sheen is an estate agent, he seems to advise everyone to move!

mr sheen

Post by mr sheen » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:00 am

Plenty slagging off of person making a realistic reality-check contribution but no suggestions!

To suit the OP, the dogs would need to stop barking....so options for dog owners appears to be....
they retire and stay home all day or they have the dogs rehomed or killed......none of which is likely to happen. Which option is the OP proposing?

You cannot force them to use bark collars...some of which are illegal any way.

sprocker1

Post by sprocker1 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:02 pm

mr sheen wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:00 am
Plenty slagging off of person making a realistic reality-check contribution but no suggestions!

To suit the OP, the dogs would need to stop barking....so options for dog owners appears to be....
they retire and stay home all day or they have the dogs rehomed or killed......none of which is likely to happen. Which option is the OP proposing?

You cannot force them to use bark collars...some of which are illegal any way.
The OP is proposing that the neighbours take measures to stop their dogs barking when they are out, just as they have done previously, but now seem unwilling to do so.

Your reality check is far from it, children do not keep screaming or shouting for 6-8 hours continuously, and to suggest that I would want their dogs killed is an outrageous statement.
Sprocker

MacadamB53
Number of Posts per Page: 100
Number of topics per page: 50

Post by MacadamB53 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:11 pm

mr sheen wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:11 pm
You have a dog and they have a dog....dogs bark!
You can go to Environmental health if the noise level is excessively high but this rarely leads anywhere.
Some people have 4 kids....imagine the phenomenal noise! Should be banned IMO :D
Imagine being the neighbours of Twin babies who between them cry non-stop 24/7...yep having neighbours can be an absolute pain.
Unless you can afford to move out to the country to a property with no neighbours then you need to recognise that your neighbours will be living a life that may be different from yours. Your BBQ annoys them, their dogs barking annoys you...yeah different issues equally annoying...they probably have to keep their windows and doors closed when you fire up the barby and you need to do the same when their dog barks.....time to chill and concentrate on your own life.....life will throw a real serious issue for you to deal with soon enough so try to keep this annoyance in perspective.

Your neighbours have a right to live their lives as they wish. Whilst You have a right to give your neighbours notice that you will be at home 24/7 from a specific date, they have a right to ignore your 'notice'. Frankly giving people 'notice' and writing letters of complaint to neighbours often results in an 'upping of the anti' as the 'what ya gonna do about' attitude kicks in and in reality there is little that people can do about it which is why it should be a last resort only where legal action for serious issues is possible and can and does follow.
Hi mr sheen,

balanced posting as usual - that’s a genuine comment, not sarcasm or similar.

save someone moving house or the dog leaving, the bit in bold is the OP’s only option.

kind regards, Mac

liveinpeace
Number of Posts per Page: 10
Number of topics per page: 10

Post by liveinpeace » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:16 pm

sprocker please don't rise to it with mr sheen, his posts often follow a similar theme!!

the mass culling of the healthy dogs of anyone who works is such a logical idea.

it would seem your neighbours dogs aren't the only ones who are barking!

Morgan Sweet

Post by Morgan Sweet » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:58 pm

I would agree that contacting the environment health could be an option; I would also suggest that the RSPCA may be of some help. Dogs should not incessantly bark for hours if they are content and it suggests that they are in a stressed state due to being confined with no outlet for their natural instincts. My own personal opinion is that there are just too many dogs in this country kept in such unnatural conditions. Many people say that we are a nation of animal lovers, I believe that we are a nation of selfish animal owners and such unhappy dogs should be rehomed or culled.

MacadamB53
Number of Posts per Page: 100
Number of topics per page: 50

Post by MacadamB53 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:03 am

Hi Morgan Sweet,

just too many dogs in this country kept in such unnatural conditions

what are the natural conditions for a dog?

kind regards, Mac

Morgan Sweet

Post by Morgan Sweet » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:38 am

MacadamB53 wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:03 am
Hi Morgan Sweet,

just too many dogs in this country kept in such unnatural conditions

what are the natural conditions for a dog?

kind regards, Mac
The natural conditions to keep a dog in are for them to use their instincts that were selectively developed by breeding. No dog was bred to be locked up in a house for hours.