How do u keep cats out of the garden???

This forum is for serious issues involving animals
lucky horseshoe

How do u keep cats out of the garden???

Post by lucky horseshoe » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:04 pm

I know there has been huge debate on this, but basically whats the best method??

Spraying them with water, putting up barbed wire?
Or what about these things you can buy in DIY stores then help, get rid.....

HELP???

carpinus

Post by carpinus » Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:17 pm

Now, I don't advocate this as a solution but, having read all the other threads on nuisance cats, it seems that the only way to exclude a cat is by use of a shotgun.

muki

Post by muki » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:34 pm

In reference to the use of a shotgun - I think it should be used on the owner NOT on the cat.
I am a cat lover but have come to dislike having to share my land with them since in my new house. The cats here are more like a pest and I have had to remove my lawn which, covered in disgusting poos from cats all round, had become a giant litter tray.

My two cats trying to mark their territory, decided to stop using the tray indoors and use the garden instead!!!
But you know it is my cat so it is my censored.

I also try to be a responsible pet owner, and I believe many are not and coundn't care less which garden their cat uses. I am prepared to go and clean up after them if necessary, at the end they are my responsability and I think that is what a lot of people forget. My neighbour is very funny about that, she claims her cats are trained to go outside and has no litter tray indoors and gets upset if her cats feed themselfs here or stay in our home, really they are not invited but if they find my couch comfortable it is more hassle for me to shush them away than accept them and give them a cuddle! She was upset her cat slept on my bed one night, but we told her we are not getting up at 2am to get the cat out.

Anyway, I am desperate to keep my cats in and since one is very clumsy I have managed to contain him with a 6' fence all round. The other much more athletic is always on the fence instead but without her partner in crime is much less active outside the garden.

I have read that some use electric fencing like for sheep and cattle and horses... but I guess the shock might not be well received if it is your neighbour that touches the fence. I personally wouldn't mind to have a fence of that type. As long as the voltage is low enough for it to be safe for birds, cats and humans and childrens and etc....

There's a company that supplies netting to go all round the fence on metal brackets, it is quite common amongst breeders and I was considering that too for the second cat, it supposedly keeps cats in and others out but requires a 5' fence and not all gardens can be full enclosed.... I think ours can..

Chances are if I do all this for peace and quiet of the cats and me and no poos etc, neighbours will think I'm nuts! And will complain netting doesn't look good!

if all this sounds like to much assle (and it is!), i guess the shotgun is the only remedy... not friendly though! please spare my cat they pee and censored in their own garden... I have evidence... yak!

Aeris

Post by Aeris » Mon May 29, 2006 1:10 pm

carpinus wrote:it seems that the only way to exclude a cat is by use of a shotgun.
Ooh the times I've wished I had a license for one of these!

I too have a problem with the neighbourhood cats and it's really beginning to grate now. I had one particular cat use our back garden as a loo and general digging playground since we moved in. I used some white crystals from (Wilko's) and after about two weeks it seemed to work. I have also ordered some of that rubber spiking to fix on the lower fence at the bottom of the garden too.

My newest problem is the new cat over the road, who's owners have watched me toil and sweat doing up my front garden, making it look lovely, only for their cat to come along and kill most of my new plants and shovel soil everywhere :x

My view is that if this were a dog, the owner would do something about it. Because it's a cat, the owner has several responses to our anger:

* The cat goes out at night, I can't follow it round.
* It's just what cats do. (Yes, that old chesnut).
* *shrug* & blank face!
* It wasn't my cat/are you sure it was my cat?
* What do you want me to do about it?

Well I'll tell you what we want done about it. For starters you can:

* Pay for the 'Get Off My Garden' stuff or similar.

* Pay for rubber spiking/netting for eberyone in the neighbourhood who is
sick of your cat's ***t.

* Let my kids pull your cat's tail and poke it in the eye because 'that's just
what kids do'.

* Come round every morning and clean up my garden (and anyone else's
who your little darling has visited that night.

I'm sorry if I offend anyone, but you should not keep a destructive animal if you are not prepared to pay for or clean up the damage it has caused. I (and I'm sure other annoyed homeowners) would gladly stay up til 3am to collect the proof that it was your cat, to avoid any discrepancies.

Once again, how would you feel if our kids snuck into your garden and dug holes and ruined plants? What if a pet rabbit escaped its hutch and ate all your prize lettuces? Even better, what if these things happened every night? Would you expect US to do something about it?
Last edited by Aeris on Mon May 29, 2006 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[b]Common sense is a set of prejudices we acquire by age 18[/b]

andrew54

Post by andrew54 » Mon May 29, 2006 1:15 pm

Aeris wrote: I'm sorry if I offend anyone, but............
You don't offend me. I agree with everything you say!

Pennyfarthing

Post by Pennyfarthing » Tue May 30, 2006 8:24 pm

If you scroll down on here until you come to "CAT censored" you will see a potion I used and which WORKED!! You could try this. :)

crazymatelot

Post by crazymatelot » Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:45 pm

A lot of people seem to advocate using rubber spikes to stop cats climbing over fencing. The only effective spiking is carpet gripper. the little dears really hate it, it rips chunks out their paws and they don't come back.

angel2006

Post by angel2006 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:22 am

ok well there are some sick cruel people on this thread!! and you should be ashamed of yourselfs!

lucky horse shoe.... i guess you have no horses as you would know barbed wire is not illegal for any man or beast!! and dangerous to horses!

as for firearms law.... there is no cat hunting season, so you can be proscuted for shooting a domestic animal! nor a respoisble to own a gun!

and aeris, if your let your kids do that to any animal, then dont be suprise if they scratched or bitten back and owner pokes their eye out too. as they seem more out of control and violent than any cat!! and bad parenting in respect for any animal! kids can be controlled! nor liked by residents either! :roll:

easy to tell who has no pets!!

andrew54

Post by andrew54 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:10 pm

angel2006 wrote: easy to tell who has no pets!!
You may not realise that some of us (many?) actually prefer people to have no pets.

subjecttocontract

Post by subjecttocontract » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:38 pm

You may not realise that some of us (many?) actually prefer people to have no pets.

Now Andrew54, I do hope you DON'T include me in the 'some of us' group you mention.

I have a couple of very well behaved stick insects. They don't bother anyone and I have never received any complaints about them. It was a close call at the weekend though, we thought we saw one of them move but realised it was just one of the leaves falling in their pot they call home.

The kids love them. Last year one died but it took 3 months for it to fall off its branch so we didn't know it had expired.

I think the government should legislate for all cat owners to hand in their cats and receive replacement stick insects. THEY ARE GREAT.
Almost everything I say is tinged with irony !

tarren
Number of Posts per Page: 100

Post by tarren » Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:41 pm

This topic was discussed over at NFH, and because the cat brigade lost the argument , didn't like being described as someones "Neighbour From Hell" I expect, the whole post was removed. Cats are OK, providing they don't create a mess and desist from their daily slaughter.

nigelrb

Post by nigelrb » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:53 pm

angel2006 wrote: lucky horse shoe.... i guess you have no horses as you would know barbed wire is not illegal for any man or beast!! and dangerous to horses!
Hi Angel,
Many a horse ranch/stud, runs a strand of barbed wire above the top fence rail, as a deterrent to prevent the horses from leaning up against the fence and breaking the rails.

Cheers, Nigel
Life is never what it seems; there is always two sides to every story.

chezan

Post by chezan » Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:14 am

Recently bought some very "naff" solar powered flower shaped flashing lights for the garden - only £3.99, neighbours cat doesn't seem to like them - never comes very close to them and just stares - then stalks off :D

I hoped they might do the trick - seems I was right :)

Obviously only work at night, but at least thats a few hours taken care of without much hassle or expense :lol:

Aeris

in reply

Post by Aeris » Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:22 pm

angel2006, I have many pets but they are controlled and do not cause distress to other people. Also, my kids are not as you describe as they too are controlled and cannot, like cats, leap up to our six foot high fence and access other gardens. For the record, my children would never hurt a cat, neither would I. For you to take the shotgun and hurting animals comments literally is beyond me..... :roll:

None of us HATE cats, we are simply tired of cleaning up after them and pig sick of them killing our plants.

I have now installed a catwatch sensor which seems to be working on the front if anyone else was wondering if these worked. Wonder if the owner of the cat is going to stump up the cost?

Aeris

Post by Aeris » Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:25 pm

PS angel, children wouldn't be prosecuted for poking a cat in the eye but the owner of the cat would if they poked my kids in the eye :P