How do u keep cats out of the garden???

This forum is for serious issues involving animals
Treeman
Number of Posts per Page: 50

Post by Treeman » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:56 pm

hotel forty wrote:Best deterrent,
Pee in a bucket and distribute the pee in those areas visited by the pesky visitors. This is the method I use to keep the fox away form my ducks.
I find a 12 bore an effective tool for that job

Janner 007

Post by Janner 007 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:40 pm

You distribute your pee using a 12 bore shotgun?

64cousins

protecting my livestock???

Post by 64cousins » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:12 pm

i keep 2 chickens and the neighbours cats of which there are at least 6
have been pouncing and hunting them, one and has already been injured and i found a cat in the chicken coop the other day
my question is.

does the law allow me to protect my livestock which is on my land
from cats by killing or trapping them? :cry:

please don't think me cruel. I have tried other methods, all at my expense not that of the irresponsable cat owners who live aroud me.

:x

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG
Number of Posts per Page: 5
Number of topics per page: 15

Re: protecting my livestock???

Post by WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:36 pm

64cousins wrote:i keep 2 chickens and the neighbours cats of which there are at least 6
have been pouncing and hunting them, one and has already been injured and i found a cat in the chicken coop the other day
my question is.

does the law allow me to protect my livestock which is on my land
from cats by killing or trapping them? :cry:

please don't think me cruel. I have tried other methods, all at my expense not that of the irresponsable cat owners who live aroud me.

:x
http://www.gardenlaw.co.uk/phpBB2/viewt ... c5be323525

A farmer has the right to protect his/her livestock. You cannot legally shoot, trap or injure people’s pets, regardless of how much of a nuisance they might be.

You have to take steps to ensure the safety of your chickens; it isn't worth debating this subject over and over. Cats can roam and until the law is changed "probably not for a long time, if ever!" you have to either be a civilised member of society and adhere to laws or be a criminal.

I don't think parents should allow their children to play football over everyone’s gardens, could I shoot them? Yes and then go to prison. An extreme example that parents and cat haters hate to hear, but what if one day the cat owner killed the child of the person who killed their cat?

luggsey

Post by luggsey » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:49 pm

64cousins

Post by 64cousins » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:05 pm

Ok
i know the law i skewed in favor of cat owners.
i'm going out to buy myself a tiger.. then i'm going to let it roam over to next door to eat all their cats lol.
another question::
what is the largest cat you are allowed to own as a pet?
I really don't hate cats.

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Post by WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:11 pm

64cousins wrote:Ok
i know the law i skewed in favor of cat owners.
i'm going out to buy myself a tiger.. then i'm going to let it roam over to next door to eat all their cats lol.
another question::
what is the largest cat you are allowed to own as a pet?
I really don't hate cats.
Lion is king of the jungle, buy one from the circus or zoo and set it free. :lol:

Treeman
Number of Posts per Page: 50

Post by Treeman » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:25 pm

The Lion is the king of the savannah which they much prefer to jungle.

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Post by WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:36 pm

Leo the lion, he's king of the savannah and the jungle man!! 8) Roar! :lol:

Trog

Post by Trog » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:07 pm

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote: You have to take steps to ensure the safety of your chickens.
As the local cat owners will not care if their cats are damaging your property, or attacking your chickens. As it is the God given right of their darling little pets to go anywhere and do anything they like.

Strangely while it is fine for their little darlings to attack your chickens, they will suggest that anyone suggesting hurting a cat is akin to a child molester.

You may therefore wish to consider indirect methods of cat removal, where the cat removes its self without any direct hostile action by yourself, for example

Have you considered planting lilies, perhaps interplanted with cat nip, as lily pollen is highly toxic to cats. The best ones to plant are the Easter Lily (Lilium Longiflorum), the Tiger Lily (Lilium Tigrinum), the Rubrum Lily (Lilium Speciosum), the Stargazer Lily (Lilium Orientalis), the Japanese Show Lily (Lilium Lancifolium), Asiatic Lilies and species of the Day Lily (Hemerocalis).
Cats they crap on your drive, on your lawn and in your flower beds, they are vermin.

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Post by WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:31 pm

Janner 007

Post by Janner 007 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:11 pm

Hi 64cousins,

There are a couple of options that you can try.

(1) Get a cockerel. Itwill certainly keep the cats away as they are very territorial. Not good is you live close to neighbours though as noise could be an issue.

(2) Get some electrified chicken netting and an energiser, the cats will soon learn to keep well clear.

CURLYKAZ

Post by CURLYKAZ » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:34 pm

We found that an electric fence worked a treat. We told our neigbours that we did not ask for cats to use our garden as a loo, or to kill the many birds that use our garden, therefore up went the fence. Left it switched on for 3 months and even though it's switched off now, the cats (1 cat now as other got hit by car...Sad eh?) still think it's on. Great investment of £50. Cat owners are irresponsible in my opinion, they think as long as you feed them once a day, you can just kick them out all day and night and not give a stuff to what they get up to. Lazy pet owners.
My pessimism extends to the point of even suspecting the sincerity of the pessimists

hippygirl

Post by hippygirl » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:37 pm

Cat owners are irresponsible in my opinion, they think as long as you feed them once a day, you can just kick them out all day and night and not give a stuff to what they get up to. Lazy pet owners.
Why the generalisation?
We found that an electric fence worked a treat. ... to kill the many birds that use our garden
A lot of birds sit on fences so how many did you kill by putting up an electric one?!!

Grenze

Post by Grenze » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:40 pm

Buy some lion droppings from a zoo, place them in your garden, cats will take one sniff and keep away.