How do u keep cats out of the garden???

This forum is for serious issues involving animals
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG
Number of Posts per Page: 5
Number of topics per page: 15

Post by WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:52 pm

My Husband is a Lion, I am a Tiger. We can donate some pooos! Sorry couldn't resist. :oops: :lol:

BTW our cat goes out once a day and he dictates that, he has no balls and wears a bell, now that is responsibility! :D

CURLYKAZ

Post by CURLYKAZ » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:52 am

Hippy Girl

NONE. I first checked with the RSPBC if birds could actually be electrocuted, and they informed me that birds are quite well insulated with their feathers, also, where we have the wire is just UNDER the top of the fence so when the sneaky cat tries to climb down the fence it gets a short shap shock and doesn't bother trying. As I also said, the leccy fence was on for a few months and is not on anymore, even so, the cat does not know this and stays the hell away from my garden. I generalise on the basis of that is what the people round here do. Kick em out all day and night.

WRS has the right idea, responsable pet owner. Because our neighbours cat still has it's balls, it gets the bejezus kicked out of it by other toms. Cruel. He still doesn't let it in when you can hear it fighting in his own garden.

Hope that answers your questions.
My pessimism extends to the point of even suspecting the sincerity of the pessimists

hippygirl

Post by hippygirl » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:00 am

hi curlycaz...Birds can get electrocuted, as any other animal can (depending on different factors) That aside, you will find that the majority of cat....sorry 'lazy pet'... owners do not behave as your neighbour does, most are as responsible as WRS... :)

CURLYKAZ

cats

Post by CURLYKAZ » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:41 am

Hi Hippy Girl

Animals will only get a small shock off the type of fence we have (when switched on), and I can honestly tell you that NO birds were hurt, in fact, birds perched on the one stretch of it. They will (all animals) only get shocked if earthed and touching the fence at the same time and the way it was installed was to make sure the cats got the shock when trying to climb down our fence. The squirrels were never put off by the fence and I'm sure one or two of them got a shock off it. Anyhow, if I'd wanted cats messing in my garden, and killing the birds I'd have gone out an sodding well got one!!!

Any stray cats (without collars) are deemed ferral by the local land owners and are trapped and shot!!!! So I think my method is by far kinder.

I am sure you are a responsible pet owner, but I can only go on my experience of where I live. Hence, they are lazy and irresponsible in my eyes. I understand the natural defensiveness of cat owners when opinions like mine are aired, but I only speak as I find.
My pessimism extends to the point of even suspecting the sincerity of the pessimists

hippygirl

Post by hippygirl » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:07 pm

Curlykaz....thanks for your lesson in electronics but there was no need as I know how an electric fence works :?
However you are right, I am a responsible pet owner (although I don't recall mentioning that I have any animals/children!) I also have a garden full of wildlife (alive I may add) and as I can only go on my experiences of 'non pet owners' I wouldn't dream of generalising and perhaps accusing them all of being ignorant or narrowminded :wink:

appledore

Post by appledore » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:44 pm

We have no pets, although we have had cats in the past. We have a large garden full of wildlife, and also a few visiting cats.
I don't consider the cats' owners to be lazy or irresponsible. In fact we enjoy seeing the cats in the garden. We're certainly not surrounded by dead birds or other animals, or up to our knees in cat p**. :wink:
Keep calm and carry on.

CURLYKAZ

Post by CURLYKAZ » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:47 pm

Hippygirl

I am not and never have called a cat owner 'narrow minded', and as I only go on how things are around here will still call the cat owners of my local neighbourhood 'Irresponsible and Lazy'.

I too have much wildlife in my back garden and bit of land we tend, and am sick of finding cat turds and the occasional dead creature on my property. This said, I do not hate cats, never have, never will, but will do anything short of shooting them to keep them off my land.

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Post by WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:52 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1edDfzl ... re=related

Cats can actually be toilet trained, I have tried this with our cat but he just watches me on the toilet and then jumps into the bath for a poop. :lol:

appledore

Post by appledore » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:59 pm

Yuk! :lol: :lol: The end of it's tail looks like a loo brush. :lol:
Keep calm and carry on.

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Post by WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:01 pm

appledore wrote:Yuk! :lol: :lol: The end of it's tail looks like a loo brush. :lol:
Teehee it would come in handy when he misses the bowl! :lol:

I thought that cat was soooo cute!!! :D

appledore

Post by appledore » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:50 pm

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote: Teehee it would come in handy when he misses the bowl! :lol:
Which will be quite often I imagine. :lol:

I don't like to see cats in the bathroom, far better to train them to 'go' in the neighbours' gardens. :lol: :lol:
Keep calm and carry on.

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Post by WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:15 pm

appledore wrote:I don't like to see cats in the bathroom, far better to train them to 'go' in the neighbours' gardens. :lol: :lol:
Eeeeek! :shock: apples you are so rebel! :lol: :lol: :lol:

My cat agrees. :D

SouthBankGirl

Post by SouthBankGirl » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:51 pm

I've recently bought a cat repeller via the cat scarer website - however, I'm getting a bit impatient with it and it doesn't seem to be working. Has anyone else had any success with one of these devices, or should I start considering more extreme measures to rid my garden of cats?

victor508

Post by victor508 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:57 pm

I planted some grass seed and i could see next door's cat scratching
at the soil and a different place every day. I told the neighbour why
i was moving the sonic repeller on to that area , when i saw him yesterday
he said the cat walked up to it sniffed it and walked away. The question is
how do you know it is working as you can't hear it.

Victor.

Anthony Westoby

How do u keep cats out of the garden???

Post by Anthony Westoby » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:49 pm

victor,

Now there's a strange parallel --- I too have spoken to my NFH about the cats there is something you have in common after all ---- a debate about cats.

If the people advocating death to the animals paid a little more time considering humans we all might get on a bit better; in my experience of organising charity collections in the past, it's always been far easier to officially collect for the RSPCA than it ever was for MENCAP ---- I was barred from collecting for humans by the local LA at one venue.

Finally a message for the chap who wanted to buy a Tiger -------- Don't bother, get a 'Bengal' like mine, nobody dare go near him and we get no interlopers.

TonyW.