Why do goldfish die?

This forum is for serious issues involving animals
stringrae

Why do goldfish die?

Post by stringrae »

Had 2 goldfish bought at the same shop - in the same tank - all airated and everything done correctly - 2 weeks later Harper died. Lee is still fine 8 weeks later .. WHY? Want to get him a mate cos he is lonely but maybe his new mate will die too and dont want to put Lee through that again - watching his mate float around the top of the tank must have affected him badly.

+ its not good for the kids - they got really upset when we put him down the loo to swim off to goldfish heaven. :(
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG
Number of Posts per Page: 5
Number of topics per page: 15

Re: Why do goldfish die?

Post by WILL*REMAIN*STRONG »

stringrae wrote:Had 2 goldfish bought at the same shop - in the same tank - all airated and everything done correctly - 2 weeks later Harper died. Lee is still fine 8 weeks later .. WHY? Want to get him a mate cos he is lonely but maybe his new mate will die too and dont want to put Lee through that again - watching his mate float around the top of the tank must have affected him badly.

+ its not good for the kids - they got really upset when we put him down the loo to swim off to goldfish heaven. :(
It's sad when little fish die, I remember when ours kept dying, it was very upsetting. But I haven't a clue why? Like you I was always careful to do everything right but only one gold fish remained, he must have been a loner.

Maybe you have a killer fish or the cat secretly played with Harper and then put him back, either way it is very sad and I hope you can find a friend for Lee. :)
appledore

Post by appledore »

I expect it's the same for goldfish as for anything else. When their times up it's up. Just when you think you've trained them to live without food they die. :lol: :lol:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

appledore wrote:I expect it's the same for goldfish as for anything else. When their times up it's up. Just when you think you've trained them to live without food they die. :lol: :lol:
OMG you have to feed them?????? Now I know where I went wrong, oh poor goldyfishieswoo! :cry:
stringrae

Post by stringrae »

Yes thats it - the pet shops - they dont know how old the fishies they sell are - I mean how could they ? :D I will go down there in the morning and pick myself up a new young fish - Maybe I will call it Will - awwwwwwwwwww :D
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

stringrae wrote:Yes thats it - the pet shops - they dont know how old the fishies they sell are - I mean how could they ? :D I will go down there in the morning and pick myself up a new young fish - Maybe I will call it Will - awwwwwwwwwww :D
YAY!!!!!! Call it Will and feed me lots, I am greedy you know! :D
chezan

Post by chezan »

When I was little we had two goldfish and we lived in a very cold house -
so cold that during the night the water in the little goldfish bowl froze
and the fish, of course, froze in it!! :cry:
Not a nice thing for a little 6 year old to see before going off to school! :(
stringrae

Post by stringrae »

chezan wrote:When I was little we had two goldfish and we lived in a very cold house -
so cold that during the night the water in the little goldfish bowl froze
and the fish, of course, froze in it!! :cry:
Not a nice thing for a little 6 year old to see before going off to school! :(
Oh chezan thats awful - well i promise you Harper was not a frozen fish! :shock:
stringrae

Post by stringrae »

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:
stringrae wrote:Yes thats it - the pet shops - they dont know how old the fishies they sell are - I mean how could they ? :D I will go down there in the morning and pick myself up a new young fish - Maybe I will call it Will - awwwwwwwwwww :D
Ok Will you are now a fish - I will feed you lots and I will TRY not to get my paws on you .. :lol: :lol: But if you become a big fat fish I may not be able to resist miaow :wink:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

stringrae wrote:
Ok Will you are now a fish - I will feed you lots and I will TRY not to get my paws on you .. :lol: :lol: But if you become a big fat fish I may not be able to resist miaow :wink:
I'm scared! :cry:
stringrae

Post by stringrae »

Hey Will I like you - dont be scared :wink:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

stringrae wrote:Hey Will I like you - dont be scared :wink:

OK but when I get to bloating point please don't pop me! :lol:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

I'm a tough little one, feed me enough and I might even swallow the cat! :)
stringrae

Post by stringrae »

stringrae wrote:Hey Will I like you - dont be scared :wink:

OK but when I get to bloating point please don't pop me! :lol:
Yes I would pop you and eat your brain (not legobs) but I am sure yours would be most tasty and make me laugh forever :wink:
stringrae

Post by stringrae »

Just looked again at the bloaty fishy - not pretty - not pretty at all. One eye bigger than the other :shock: