carpet grippers

This forum is for serious issues involving animals
katie101

carpet grippers

Post by katie101 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:52 am

i read an article on here about carpet grippers to stop cats i could not reply to it for some reason so had to do it like this.i have a neighbour who did exactly the same thing he knew i had small children at the time but never bothered to let me know he was going to put them up.i ended up having to contact the police who told me that as long as the fence was 6ft high he was allowed to put them up but he should display warning signs stating that they were there and also that if anyone actually injured them selves because of them i would be able to sue him.funniest thing was though it didnt actually stop the cats walking on the fence and they are still plodding across it now

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG
Number of Posts per Page: 5
Number of topics per page: 15

Re: carpet grippers

Post by WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:54 am

katie101 wrote:i read an article on here about carpet grippers to stop cats i could not reply to it for some reason so had to do it like this.i have a neighbour who did exactly the same thing he knew i had small children at the time but never bothered to let me know he was going to put them up.i ended up having to contact the police who told me that as long as the fence was 6ft high he was allowed to put them up but he should display warning signs stating that they were there and also that if anyone actually injured them selves because of them i would be able to sue him.funniest thing was though it didnt actually stop the cats walking on the fence and they are still plodding across it now
Are you talking about actual carpet grippers (upward turned nails) or prikka strips (plastic sharp points) ?

I would be very annoyed if my neighbour used sharp nails! :twisted: Prikka strips are usually used to prevent cats from sitting on the fence and/or using that part of the fence to climb down, perhaps to save plants.

Prikka strips are by no means a cat deterrent, but cats don't like them and will sit on a more comfortable fence. :wink:

I could be wrong and hope someone can correct me if I am, but I don't think you can by law have sharp nails sticking out of a fence anymore, you could get sued if someone were to get injured on them. Even if that someone was a burglar, that is why the plastic ones are used, it is just to make it less appealing to the cat/burglar. :)

katie101

carpet grippers

Post by katie101 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:11 pm

yes they were actual carpet grippers i went to the council as well who were nt interested in the slightest and it was the council who told me it was a matter for the police

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Re: carpet grippers

Post by WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:24 pm

katie101 wrote:yes they were actual carpet grippers i went to the council as well who were nt interested in the slightest and it was the council who told me it was a matter for the police
I hate that people still use carpet grippers as a way to deter cats, nothing deters them better than a good spray with water. Carpet grippers will hurt children’s fingers if they climb a fence, although they shouldn't of course, but who would want to inflict pain and injury on others in that way? It is cruel and unacceptable! Plastic strips will deter cats enough, the carpet grippers are there to injure and nothing less in my opinion, they should be banned and hopefully are, I just don’t know.

Come on experts…shed some light!! :)

philj

Post by philj » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:30 pm

I have previously had a problem with a dog getting over my fence so I asked the Citizens Advice for their stance on this.

Part of their reply stated that I was not allowed to fix anything to the top of the fence which may harm the dog. I think this info had been provided to the CAB by the Local Authority.

Wasn't there a case on the tv news earlier this year when a property owner was not allowed to erect barbed wire atop their fence to discourage burglars?

Tread carefully - as well as the cat.

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Post by WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:16 pm

philj wrote:I have previously had a problem with a dog getting over my fence so I asked the Citizens Advice for their stance on this.

Part of their reply stated that I was not allowed to fix anything to the top of the fence which may harm the dog. I think this info had been provided to the CAB by the Local Authority.

Wasn't there a case on the tv news earlier this year when a property owner was not allowed to erect barbed wire atop their fence to discourage burglars?

Tread carefully - as well as the cat.
I believe it is unwise to have barbed wire on a fence that is bordering neighbouring "residential" properties. Often businesses have barbed wire and other very nasty and potentially deadly types of fencing to keep trespassers out, usually for their own good if around the likes of powers stations etc...

Barbed wire is severe and in most cases if a person is injured on it they would have a claim, so you are right, tread carefully pussies. :wink:

fountainpen

Post by fountainpen » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:25 pm

check who the fence belongs to !!!(on your deeds)
If its part yours he will have to remove the grippers .if they are the metal carpet grippers it's illegal just phone the RSPCA/ cats protection.

patricia20

Post by patricia20 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:04 am

Actually, I wanted to buy a carpet grippers to put on my new garden. But I was wondering how much does the carpet grippers cost? If it is costly then I will just let go of the idea.
Last edited by patricia20 on Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My [url=http://www.computerseo.com]online[/url] roofing.

katee
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 20

Post by katee » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:24 am

^^^ :shock: :?: ^^^

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Post by WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:36 am

patricia20 wrote:Actually, I wanted to buy a carpet grippers to put on my new garden. But I was wondering how much does the carpet grippers cost?
It'll cost you a fortune because a laminate deck won't last five minutes.

appledore

Post by appledore » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:42 pm

I'm all for being houseproud, but a fitted carpet in a garden is taking things a bit far. :lol:
Keep calm and carry on.

despair

Post by despair » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:57 pm

Maybe they are for fitting synthetic grass

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Post by WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:14 pm

despair wrote:Maybe they are for fitting synthetic grass

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! That stuff is diabolical. :lol:

ferdinand2000

Post by ferdinand2000 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:49 pm

patricia20 wrote:Actually, I wanted to buy a carpet grippers to put on my new garden. But I was wondering how much does the carpet grippers cost?
Perhaps if you learnt how to post paying spam links you would be able to afford some..