Bindweed

jdfi
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 50

Bindweed

Post by jdfi »

Hello guys,

Does anyone have any tips of how to eradicate bindweed, please?
arborlad

Re: Bindweed

Post by arborlad »

Bindweed is very susceptible to glyphosate, so Roundup, either spray or gel depending on the circumstances. Follow directions on the container.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
MacadamB53
Number of Posts per Page: 100

Post by MacadamB53 »

Hi jdfi,

my gardener cousin recommends giving it something to climb up so there's plenty of growth to spray/gel.

Kind regards, Mac
despair

Post by despair »

carefully unwind it from whatever its climbing up

cut the bottom off a 2 litre fizzy drink bottle or milk bottle

feed the bindweed through the narrow end and coil it in a ball at the base

then spray into the bottle lots of Glyphosate

it wont hurt other plants but will go back to the roots of the bindweed

otherwise only very careful digging is the only way to clear heavy infestations ensuring not one single inch remains in the soil to start a new infestation
arborlad

Post by arborlad »

despair wrote:carefully unwind it from whatever its climbing up

otherwise only very careful digging is the only way to clear heavy infestations ensuring not one single inch remains in the soil to start a new infestation

Have you eradicated yours yet?

http://www.gardenlaw.co.uk/phpBB2/viewt ... =9&t=13930
arborlad

jdfi

Post by jdfi »

Thanks guys
despair

Post by despair »

Yes but it took several lots of glyphosate and a lot of careful digging
arborlad

Post by arborlad »

despair wrote:carefully unwind it from whatever its climbing up

You seem determined to fight against Mother Nature.

Faffing around with removing the bellbine from whatever it is growing on and then trying to get it into a bottle are all going to damage it and reduce the effectiveness of the correct dose when it is applied - 'lots of Glyphosate' - is bad advice. If you're determined to use a bottle, insert the growing tip of a young tendril into the neck of the bottle, wait until you have sufficient growth and then insert the nozzle of the sprayer into the bottle and spray until the leaves are wet but stop before you get run-off - overdosing is as bad as underdosing.

Let Mother Nature work for you, you seem to have taken several years to achieve something that most would have achieved in several months or less.
arborlad

Seagate2
Number of topics per page: 20

Post by Seagate2 »

I have been working on eradicating bindweed for the past few months. Last summer, when it was rampant through the ivy and brambles, the flowers looked like a galaxy of white blooms against the background of green.

This summer, no more than half a dozen blooms at most. As the top of the canopy is out of arm's reach, I've not been able to yank out all of the vines. However, a combination of spraying with glysophate, vigourous hoeing (to chop the roots), and plain old yanking the vines out of the ground seems to have worked as well as could be expected.

I'm probably never going to be totally rid of it, as some of it is encroaching from an adjoining property, meaning I can only kill the blighter my side of the boundary.

It does seem to be getting the message that growing in a different direction would be better for it though.
MacadamB53
Number of Posts per Page: 100

Post by MacadamB53 »

Seagate2 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:59 pm I have been working on eradicating bindweed for the past few months. Last summer, when it was rampant through the ivy and brambles, the flowers looked like a galaxy of white blooms against the background of green.

This summer, no more than half a dozen blooms at most. As the top of the canopy is out of arm's reach, I've not been able to yank out all of the vines. However, a combination of spraying with glysophate, vigourous hoeing (to chop the roots), and plain old yanking the vines out of the ground seems to have worked as well as could be expected.

I'm probably never going to be totally rid of it, as some of it is encroaching from an adjoining property, meaning I can only kill the blighter my side of the boundary.

It does seem to be getting the message that growing in a different direction would be better for it though.
various gardeners I’ve spoken to about bindweed have all suggested that chopping the “roots” is a bad idea - each piece is then capable of developing into a new plant
Seagate2
Number of topics per page: 20

Post by Seagate2 »

It's a stubborn swine of a plant, to be sure. The advice I have found varies in approach. The only thing that seems to work reliably is nuking it from space! :shock:
arborlad

Post by arborlad »

Seagate2 wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:46 pm It's a stubborn swine of a plant, to be sure. The advice I have found varies in approach. The only thing that seems to work reliably is nuking it from space! :shock:

No, it's not.....................there's all manner of plants that are known to be resistant to Roundup - bindweed isn't one of them.

I eradicated bindweed in my garden decades ago, neighbours started a new veg plot this year and some of the imported soil must have contained bindweed, some had grown in amongst the Ivy, which wasn't a problem but a couple of bits had grown amongst the peas, I leant over and with pea sticks allowed the bindweed to grow up them, once there was sufficient growth on the sticks they were laid over into the Ivy and sprayed - bindweed gone, Ivy unaffected.....................obviously we're both keeping an eye on the new plot and the bindweed will be eradicated.
arborlad