Snowdrops what to plant?

For anyone interested in gardening & a bit of light relief from the problems of this world
gardenlaw
Site Admin
Number of Posts per Page: 50
Number of topics per page: 50

Snowdrops what to plant?

Post by gardenlaw » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:34 am

Am I best planting dried bulbs or ones in the "green" with leaves? Or growing them in pots and then planting out? Do they selfseed?

appledore

Re: Snowdrops what to plant?

Post by appledore » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:36 pm

Hi. Snowdrops are best planted 'in the green'. They self seed and multiply by bulb division.
Keep calm and carry on.

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG
Number of Posts per Page: 5
Number of topics per page: 15

Post by WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:52 am

I have read that it is better to plant them in the green, we planted bulbs and have a rather poor show at the moment. Next year might be better. We planted lillies one year and had three, now we have dozens, they are as randy as rabbits. :lol:

appledore

Post by appledore » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:41 pm

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote: they are as randy as rabbits. :lol:
They won't eat your other plants like rabbits do. :roll: We always plant small daffodils in pots and hanging baskets, but this is the second year they haven't come. Not even a leaf. :(
Keep calm and carry on.

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Post by WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:44 am

appledore wrote:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote: they are as randy as rabbits. :lol:
They won't eat your other plants like rabbits do. :roll: We always plant small daffodils in pots and hanging baskets, but this is the second year they haven't come. Not even a leaf. :(
I remember you saying your wild bunnies eat your flowers, I was going to suggest feeding the rabbits but they'll probably still do it.

The other day you asked about moss killer, I haven't found any in the garage but I have found piles of moss on the floor which the birds have pecked off the roof, now they are working for their food! :lol:

appledore

Post by appledore » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:37 pm

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:[The other day you asked about moss killer, I haven't found any in the garage but I have found piles of moss on the floor which the birds have pecked off the roof, now they are working for their food! :lol:
The birds are 'at it' here too. (pecking moss off the roof that is). What a mess. I was cursing them today, but maybe I could train them to dig out the moss from the cracks on the patio. :) As you say, they could work for their food.
Keep calm and carry on.

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Post by WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:18 pm

appledore wrote:The birds are 'at it' here too. (pecking moss off the roof that is). What a mess. I was cursing them today, but maybe I could train them to dig out the moss from the cracks on the patio. :) As you say, they could work for their food.
:lol: It could work! Just stuff their food in the cracks and they will dig up the moss at the same time as they dig up their food. :)

I would like to train birds to do my ironing. I'm going to start with a pelican as they have big beaks which could hold the iron, then a team of sparrows to hold the clothes up and in place. A swan to steady the ironing board, and a gull to stomp on the plug to make the iron work. Maybe some blue tits can fold the clothes neatly and put them away...oh sh1t! I realise the fatal flaw in all this. :lol: :oops:

appledore

Post by appledore » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:48 pm

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:[I would like to train birds to do my ironing. I'm going to start with a pelican as they have big beaks which could hold the iron, then a team of sparrows to hold the clothes up and in place. A swan to steady the ironing board, and a gull to stomp on the plug to make the iron work. Maybe some blue tits can fold the clothes neatly and put them away...oh sh1t! I realise the fatal flaw in all this. :lol: :oops:
That's a good idea Will. I quail when I see a big pile of ironing. I'd have a crane to lift the clothes out of the basket, and a robin for the starch. When I'd finished the ironing I'd have a swallow so I could have a cup of tea. :lol: :oops:
Keep calm and carry on.

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Post by WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:33 am

appledore wrote:That's a good idea Will. I quail when I see a big pile of ironing. I'd have a crane to lift the clothes out of the basket, and a robin for the starch. When I'd finished the ironing I'd have a swallow so I could have a cup of tea. :lol: :oops:
:lol:

I'll just get my cat to do all the ironing. Image :wink:

appledore

Post by appledore » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:12 pm

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:[I'll just get my cat to do all the ironing. Image :wink:
She's taking it very seriously isn't she? I'm saying she as not very many males do the ironing. Send her round when she's finished and she can do mine. :)
Keep calm and carry on.