Buddleias flowering, but no butterflies.

For anyone interested in gardening & a bit of light relief from the problems of this world
appledore

Buddleias flowering, but no butterflies.

Post by appledore » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:10 pm

Our buddleias are flowering, but we have no butterflies. We had some in the garden earlier in the year, but I think they must have got washed away with all the heavy rain. :) Has anyone else noticed a lack of butterflies?
Keep calm and carry on.

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG
Number of Posts per Page: 5
Number of topics per page: 15

Re: Buddleias flowering, but no butterflies.

Post by WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:55 pm

Oh your garden looks nice! :) We haven't seen anywhere near as many butterflies this year, it must be all the rain. We haven't seen as many moths either, its a shame.

Although on the plus side, no wasps yet. Usually we get them too early in the year and they drive you mad when bbqing. I bought a zapper ready for them this year, but have only used it on hubby's toosh...he was not happy! :lol:

appledore

Post by appledore » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:21 pm

Hi Will. We have lots of little moths in the house, but not many in the garden. Have you tried a fly zapper that looks like a tennis racket, you put batteries in and it electrocutes flies and insects? I wouldn't advise using it on hubby's toosh as
he'd be singed. :lol:
Keep calm and carry on.

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Post by WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:01 pm

We get small moths in the house, but I haven't seen the lovely variety of larger moths this year. I'm thinking about getting one of those insect attractors. It is a light box which has a small solar panel on the top, and the flying lovelies get in and dance round the light. Kind of like a moth rave. :lol:

appledore

Post by appledore » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:40 pm

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:We get small moths in the house, but I haven't seen the lovely variety of larger moths this year. I'm thinking about getting one of those insect attractors. It is a light box which has a small solar panel on the top, and the flying lovelies get in and dance round the light. Kind of like a moth rave. :lol:
It might be full of spiders doing the rumba. :lol:
Keep calm and carry on.

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Post by WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:20 pm

appledore wrote:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:We get small moths in the house, but I haven't seen the lovely variety of larger moths this year. I'm thinking about getting one of those insect attractors. It is a light box which has a small solar panel on the top, and the flying lovelies get in and dance round the light. Kind of like a moth rave. :lol:
It might be full of spiders doing the rumba. :lol:

EEEEK! I don't want to watch that. :lol:

Today we went to feed swans and have a little wrestle with them. Instead, and hubs is still laughing about it...I fed pigeons and they were on my arm...it was like Trafalgar Square.

When one had a dump on my arm, I shouted “oh no, it pooped on me!” I actually said poop! That has come from this forum and not being able to type the word po o. :mrgreen:

appledore

Post by appledore » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:28 pm

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote: When one had a dump on my arm, I shouted “oh no, it pooped on me!” I actually said poop! That has come from this forum and not being able to type the word po o. :mrgreen:
Just think of the good it's doing being on this forum. :mrgreen:

There was a spider in my ironing basket this afternoon. Eeeek!!!!!
Keep calm and carry on.

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Post by WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:34 pm

appledore wrote:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote: When one had a dump on my arm, I shouted “oh no, it pooped on me!” I actually said poop! That has come from this forum and not being able to type the word po o. :mrgreen:
Just think of the good it's doing being on this forum. :mrgreen:

There was a spider in my ironing basket this afternoon. Eeeek!!!!!
Oh the goodness, I know! :lol:

Now did the spider do your ironing for you? If not, give it a squash for being lazy. :oops:

appledore

Post by appledore » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:41 pm

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote: Now did the spider do your ironing for you? If not, give it a squash for being lazy. :oops:
If a spider had an iron fastened to every leg it would get the ironing done quickly. :lol:

One of our Acers is turning green. I've fed it and hope it turns red again.
Keep calm and carry on.

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Post by WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:24 pm

appledore wrote:One of our Acers is turning green. I've fed it and hope it turns red again.
Hi apples. Our red robins were turning green too quickly, a nice chap at the garden centre advised me not to feed too much. I feed every fortnight, but he said some plants need a little stress to bring out their best colour. I don't know if he is talking rubbish, but I tried stressing the red robins by running towards them really fast, popping balloons, threatening actual leaf harm, waving garden sheers, growling...I shouted BOO! Really loudly.......they are still green! :lol: :mrgreen:

appledore

Post by appledore » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:42 pm

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:
appledore wrote:One of our Acers is turning green. I've fed it and hope it turns red again.
Hi apples. Our red robins were turning green too quickly, a nice chap at the garden centre advised me not to feed too much. I feed every fortnight, but he said some plants need a little stress to bring out their best colour. I don't know if he is talking rubbish, but I tried stressing the red robins by running towards them really fast, popping balloons, threatening actual leaf harm, waving garden sheers, growling...I shouted BOO! Really loudly.......they are still green! :lol: :mrgreen:
Hi Will. I'll move the acer from the back garden to the front garden and then it'll be able to see him nextdoor. That's enough to stress anyone. :lol: Our acers usually thrive on neglect, they rarely get fed. I'll have to give it a good talking to. :)
Keep calm and carry on.

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Post by WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:08 pm

appledore wrote: Hi Will. I'll move the acer from the back garden to the front garden and then it'll be able to see him nextdoor. That's enough to stress anyone. :lol: Our acers usually thrive on neglect, they rarely get fed. I'll have to give it a good talking to. :)
Teeheeeee I would do the same, but it would die of shock, never mind being stressed! :lol:

You could add food colouring to the water when watering those pots. :mrgreen: