Advice, questions, support on anything about cooking and eating

Moderator: cupcake

gardenlaw
Site Admin
Number of Posts per Page: 50
Number of topics per page: 50

Nigellas delicious clementine cake

Post by gardenlaw » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:52 am

Made this on Saturday for my tango dance group. Everyone oohed and aahed.

4-5 clementines (about 375g total weight)
6 eggs
225g sugar
250g ground almonds
1 heaped teaspoon baking powder

Very simple to make. Just have to remember to bring to the boil then simmer the clementines for 2 hours.

Method

Put the clementines in a pan with some cold water, bring to the boil and cook for 2 hours. Drain and, when cool, cut each clementine in half and remove the pips. Dump the clementines - skins, pith, fruit and all - and give a quick blitz. Then tip in all the remaining ingredients and pulse to a pulp. Preheat the oven to gas mark 5/190ºC. Butter and line a 21cm Springform tin. Pour the cake mixture into the prepared tin and bake for an hour, when a skewer will come out clean; you'll probably have to cover with foil or greaseproof after about 40 minutes to stop the top burning. Remove from the oven and leave to cool, on a rack, but in the tin. When the cake's cold, you can take it out of the tin. I think this is better a day after it's made, but I don't complain about eating it any time. I've also made this with an equal weight of oranges, and with lemons, in which case I increase the sugar to 250g and slightly anglicise it, too, by adding a glaze made of icing sugar mixed to a paste with lemon juice and a little water.

Avenger

Re: Nigellas delicious clementine cake

Post by Avenger » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:48 pm

This is very similar to the orange and almond cake from Claudia Roden's A New Book of Middle Eastern Food. Very yummy - doesn't last long!

Conveyancer

Post by Conveyancer » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:54 pm

gardenlaw wrote:Made this on Saturday for my tango dance group.
Are you a Carlos Gardel fan?
If you have benefited from advice on this site please consider contributing to a cancer charity.

gardenlaw
Site Admin

Post by gardenlaw » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:18 am

I had not come across him Conveyancer, but will now listen to him on Youtube. I certainly learnt a little on Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Gardel
Do dance Tango in Spain? We danced at a milonga in Malaga last July. We are going to friends of ours who own and teach Tango at their BandB in Colmenar in May.

arborlad

Post by arborlad » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:28 pm

clementines
eggs
sugar
ground almonds
heaped teaspoon baking powder

Is the ingredient list complete - no flour?
arborlad

smile...it confuses people

Conveyancer

Post by Conveyancer » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:15 pm

gardenlaw wrote:I had not come across him Conveyancer, but will now listen to him on Youtube. I certainly learnt a little on Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Gardel
Do dance Tango in Spain? We danced at a milonga in Malaga last July. We are going to friends of ours who own and teach Tango at their BandB in Colmenar in May.
Not sure really, though I expect some do. There seem to be one or two dance clubs and schools around. We also have a few Argentinians about. One runs a bar near me and has pictures of Gardel (and Maradona) on the wall.
If you have benefited from advice on this site please consider contributing to a cancer charity.

gardenlaw
Site Admin

Post by gardenlaw » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:53 pm

There is no flour. It relies on the ground almonds.

Lots of Tango in Barcelona and Madrid.

arborlad

Post by arborlad » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:37 pm

gardenlaw wrote:There is no flour. It relies on the ground almonds.
Thanks, yes, I can see that now - '250g ground almonds'
arborlad

smile...it confuses people